RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Misc. Films & The Badlands Collective present BULL DURHAM 35mm at Regent Street Cinema (21 AUG 19:30): “Ultimately what will determine how this fares with foreigners is not so much how you feel about baseball as whether you could like a woman who ties men to the bed while reading them the poems of Walt Whitman.” – Angie Errigo, Empire Online.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BULL DURHAM 35mm at Regent Street Cinema (21 AUG 19:30):
- As part of their mini-season Kevin Costner: King of America, Misc. Films and The Badlands Collective present a 30th anniversary screening of this modern classic involving a love triangle around the baseball diamond.
BUNGEE JUMPING OF THEIR OWN at Deptford Cinema (21 AUG 20:00 – Free!/Booking recommended – Sold Out!):
- Korean Film Festival presents: A powerful romantic drama that tries to answer the question: can love endure forever? Using a cyclical structure, Director Kim Dae-seung opens and closes his film following the course of a river, which suggests that love is never-ending, just as the current that never stops.
COLD WAR + LIVE PERFORMANCE + Q&A at Curzon Mayfair (21 AUG 18:30 – Sold Out!):
- Following a preview of COLD WAR we welcome the film’s composer Marcin Masecki and lead actor Joanna Kulig for a live performance of songs from the film on a specially-imported grand piano. This event will also feature a Q&A.
SEVEN BEAUTIES + PANEL at JW3 (21 AUG 20:00):
- Italian filmmaker Lina Wertmuller, the first woman ever nominated for the Best Director Oscar, turns 90 in August. To celebrate, JW3 presents a very rare screening of SEVEN BEAUTIES (1975), her controversial masterpiece about an Italian criminal determined to survive the Holocaust.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BIG presented by Desiree Akhavan at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (21 AUG 20:15).
- CREED at Prince Charles (21 AUG 20:45).
- DOWN BY LAWpresented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (21 AUG 20:00).
- EL MAR LA MARat ICA (21 AUG 16:35).
- THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES at Picturehouse Central (21 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES presented by Dogwoof Docs at Genesis Cinema (21 AUG 21:00).
- GOODFELLAS at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (21 AUG 20:15).
- THE HITCHHIKER’S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY at Backyard Cinema (21 AUG 20:30).
- JEREMIAH JOHNSON at Prince Charles (21 AUG 18:20 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
- KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE at Stratford Picturehouse (21 AUG 18:30).
- LEANING INTO THE WIND at Lexi Cinema (21 AUG 20:50).
- LEAVE NO TRACE at David Lean (21 AUG 19:30).
- PRETTY WOMAN at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (21 AUG 21:00).
- SICILIAN GHOST STORY at Lexi Cinema (21 AUG 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY new ‘unrestored’ 70mm print (21 AUG 20:01).
CLOSE-UP ON ÉRIC ROHMER at Close-Up Centre (15 AUG to 03 SEP):
- THE MARQUISE OF O (21 AUG 20:00).
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (until 12 AUG):
- ¡LAS SANDINISTAS! (21 AUG 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals projecting in London today… but that probably means we’ve missed something!
> Let us know in the comments below.
DISTANT CONSTELLATION at ICA (21 AUG 18:45):
- Shevaun Mizrahi’s debut documentary feature records the stories told by the residents of a retirement home in Istanbul. Sitting somewhere between ethnography and magical realism, the retirement home is situated in a tower whose interior walls are bestowed with an almost painterly quality by Mizrahi’s post-production.
THE EYES OF ORSON WELLES at The Institute Of Light (21 AUG 20:45):
- Granted exclusive access to hundreds of private drawings and paintings by Orson Welles, filmmaker Mark Cousins dives deep into the visual world of this legendary director and actor, to reveal a portrait of the artist as he’s never been seen before – through his own eyes, sketched with his own hand, painted with his own brush.
More films in London this week (A – Z): DRAGONFLY EYES at ICA (17 to 23 AUG). THE ESCAPE at Lexi Cinema (17 to 20 AUG). THE GUARDIANS at Phoenix Cinema (17 to 23 AUG). LEANING INTO THE WIND at DocHouse (17 to 23 AUG). MAURICE at BFI (18 to 22 AUG). MCQUEEN at ICA (17 to 23 AUG). NO DATE, NO SIGNATURE at ICA (17 to 23 AUG). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at ICA (18 to 22 AUG). SPITFIRE at Watermans (17 to 23 AUG). UNDER THE TREE at ICA (17 to 22 AUG). VITCH at JW3 (19 to 23 AUG). THE WOUND at Whirled Cinema (20 to 26 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.