RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Birkbeck Institute for the Moving Image presents Ulrike Ottinger’s epic CHAMISSO’S SHADOW at Regent Street Cinema (20, 21 & 22 JUL – various times): “Deliriously sumptuous and transgressive, Ulrike Ottinger’s world can hardly be confused with humdrum reality. Watching her films is like traveling through an undiscovered country of marvels, a journey alternately dazzling, infuriating, hilarious, and rewarding.” – Leslie Camhi, The Village Voice.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BROWNLOW ON HOLLYWOOD + INTRO by Kevin Brownlow at BFI Southbank (22 JUL 13:30):
- Brownlow and David Gill’s Hollywood series, narrated by James Mason, created a generational shift in the public’s consciousness of the history of Hollywood and their appreciation of silent film – helping spawn the vibrant silent cinema scene we know today. Includes bonus footage.
CHAMISSO’S SHADOW (cont.) at Regent Street Cinema (20, 21 & 22 JUL – various times):
- Presented by Birkbeck Institute for the Moving Image: Ulrike Ottinger’s epic shows in three chapters over one weekend. The film was inspired by the writings of Adelbert von Chamisso (1781 – 1838), who in 1815 joined the Russian ship Rurikfor in the Romanzow research expedition to the Pacific Ocean and the Bering Sea. Ottinger uses the diaries of Chamisso, as well as those of Georg Wilhelm Steller and Captain James Cook to follow their journeys to ethnic groups living in the coastal areas of the Bering Sea.
- Part 1 (20 JUL 19:00). Part 2.1 (21 JUL 14:15). Part 2.2 (21 JUL 19:00). Part 3 (22 JUL 14:00). Tickets are £7 for each part.
ONE SINGS, THE OTHER DOESN’T + DISCUSSION with Dr Julia Wagner at JW3 (22 JUL 14:30):
- Charting the personal and political (and fashion) changes in two French women’s lives from the early 1960s to the mid-70s, Agnès Varda’s folk-pop abortion musical ONE SINGS… is a joyous feminist anthem for the right to choose in all things, embroidered smocks included.
Womanhood While Black: Subversive Subjects, Sublime Possibilities at ICA (22 JUL 16:00):
- Victoria Nambi selects a programme of short films exploring the subversive, sensual and sublime possibilities for Black womanhood. In their own distinctive and indelible way, each short ennobles the interiority and persistent humanity of their subjects.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ALL ABOUT SUMMER short film programme at Deptford Cinema (22 JUL 14:30).
- A PRAYER BEFORE DAWN at Genesis Cinema (22 JUL 20:55).
- ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (22 JUL 21:00).
- FREE ANGLEA AND ALL POLITICAL PRISONERS presented by Block Party Cinema at Pop Brixton (22 JUL 17:00).
- CARMEN JONES at BFI (22 JUL 15:30).
- DOUBLE INDEMNITY at BFI (22 JUL 20:15).
- IN NAME ONLY presented by Kennington Talkies at The Cinema Museum (22 JUL 14:30).
- INTERSTELLAR at Backyard Cinema (22 JUL 16:30).
- LA BOHEME presented by Pitshanger Pictures at St Barnabas Millennium Halls (22 JUL 18:00).
- MCQUEEN at Regent Street Cinema (22 JUL 19:30).
- MEN IN BLACK at Backyard Cinema (22 JUL 12:30).
- STRANGERS ON A TRAIN at Picturehouse Central (22 JUL 13:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- TOP GUN at The Prince Charles (22 JUL 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- THE GLEANERS & I: TWO YEARS LATER (22 JUL 18:00).
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- Geoff Dunbar & Paul McCartney’s Animated Projects + Q&A with Geoff Dunbar inc. THE FROG SONG (22 JUL 13:00).
JACQUES RANCIÈRE: PHILOSOPHY & CINEMA at Close-Up (04 to 28 JUL):
- AU HASARD BALTHAZAR (22 JUL 18:00).
- THE TURIN HORSE (22 JUL 20:00).
- Jacques Rancière and the Politics of Art Cinema book launch & discussion (22 JUL 15:30 – Free!).
PINTER ON SCREEN: POWER, SEX & POLITICS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- THE CARETAKER (22 JUL 15:40).
REBEL WITH A CAUSE at Bertha DocHouse (12 JUL to 12 AUG):
- CHAVELA (22 JUL 16:30).
SPAGHETTI WESTERNS at Deptford Cinema (17 JUL to 14 AUG):
- THE BIG GUNDOWN (22 JUL 19:00).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (01 JUL to 06 JAN 2019):
- ONLY YESTERDAY (22 JUL 15:10).
SUMMER FILMS at House of Vans (07 to 29 JUL – Free! / No booking required):
- BEFORE SUNRISE (22 JUL 14:00 & 16:00).
TRIBUTE TO MARCEL CARNÉ at Ciné Lumière (03 JUN to 22 JUL):
- LES VISITEURS DU SOIR (22 JUL 14:00).
WIM WENDERS at The Prince Charles (until 30 AUG):
- THE AMERICAN FRIEND 35mm (22 JUL 17:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals projecting today include:
- David Lynch Film Festival presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (22 JUL).
- Rainbow Film Festival (15 to 22 JUL).
EXTINCTION at ICA (22 JUL 18:45):
- Hypnotic and multi-layered, EXTINCTION aka Extinção, meditates on the troubled borders of Eastern Europe with melancholic lyricism. Shot in black and white, Salomé Lamas’s filmic essay follows Kolya, a young man loyal to Transnistria, the Communist state that broke away from the former Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic, which is unrecognized by the international community today.
A PRAYER BEFORE DAWN at Ciné Lumière (22 JUL 16:15).
- Based on the memoir by Billy Moore, Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire’s film recounts the visceral journey through hell of a British drug-dealer who is arrested in Bangkok and sentenced to three years in one of Thailand’s most notorious prisons.
THE RECEPTIONIST at Barbican (22 JUL 20:45):
- Inspired by true events, Jenny Lu’s award-winning debut follows the lives of the employees and clients of an illegal massage parlour in London.
- Also enjoys a grind show run at the ICA (20 to 26).
More films in London this week (A – Z): EX LIBRIS: THE NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY at ICA (until 26 JUL). GENERATION WEALTH at Barbican (20 to 25 JUL). THE GOALIE’S ANXIETY AT THE PENALTY KICK at ICA (20 to 26 JUL). JEUNE FEMME at Whirled Cinema (23 to 29 JUL). KEEP THE CHANGE at JW3 (until 26 JUL). LEAN ON PETE at Whirled Cinema (until 22 JUL). MADAME at Ciné Lumière (20 to 26 JUL). MARIO at Hackney Picturehouse (20 to 24 JUL). MCQUEEN at Rich Mix (20 to 24 JUL). NAILA AND THE UPRISING at DocHouse (until 25 JUL). ONE OR TWO QUESTIONS at ICA (20 to 24 JUL). RACER & THE JAILBIRD at Ciné Lumière (until 25 JUL). RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at ICA (until 25 JUL). SUMMER 1993 at Lexi Cinema (22 to 26 JUL). VERTIGO at BFI Southbank (until 26 JUL).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get our SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.