RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Lexi Film School presents MIDNIGHT + INTRO by Wendy Ide at Lexi Cinema (22 OCT 18:30): “A fun, frothy, female-fronted screwball comedy co-written by the legendary Billy Wilder, MIDNIGHT stars Claudette Colbert as an American showgirl washed up in Paris who tangles with a wealthy man.”
Save The Cinema Museum: With several independent venues under threat across London, RADIANT CIRCUS is proud to be supporting the campaign to Save The Cinema Museum. Read our interview with The Celluloid Sorceress, Rebecca Nicole Williams, about her SPARKLE fundraiser with Samira Ahmed [28 OCT 15:00], then get booking with our exclusive discount code.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BEEN SO LONG + Q&A with cast & crew + AFTER PARTY at Everyman Screen On The Green (22 OCT 19:00 – Sold Out!):
- Brid’s Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: CHEWING GUM star Michaela Coel leads a talented cast in Tinge Krishnan’s contemporary London musical, which reimagines Camden as a romantic neon-soaked wonderland.
Mabel Normand Shorts + LIVE SCORE by the Meg Morley Trio at BFI Southbank (22 OCT 19:30):
- Sonic Cinema presents: Mabel Normand was the irrepressible spirit of early Hollywood, an extraordinary performer from the anarchic days of Mack Sennett’s Keystone company to the refined comedies of the 1920s. For this special BFI commission, a brand new score will be performed by the Meg Morley Trio.
MIDNIGHT + INTRO by Wendy Ide at Lexi Cinema (22 OCT 18:30):
- Lexi Film School presents: A fun, frothy, female-fronted screwball comedy co-written by the legendary Billy Wilder, MIDNIGHT stars Claudette Colbert as an American showgirl washed up in Paris who tangles with a wealthy man.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- CHINATOWN at BFI (22 OCT 20:30).
- CRIES AND WHISPERS aka Viskningar Och Rop at BFI (22 OCT 18:40).
- Double Bill: FACES PLACES + CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 at Regent Street Cinema (22 OCT 18:30 & 20:30).
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD aka Ascenseur Pour L’échafaud at BFI (22 OCT 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (22 OCT 20:15).
A SPIKE LEE MIXTAPE at Deptford Cinema (11 to 26 OCT):
- CLOCKERS (22 OCT 19:00).
CELEBRATING THE CINEMA OF SPIKE LEE at Genesis Cinema (01 to 29 OCT – Free tickets for residents of Tower Hamlets – proof required at venue Box Office):
- MALCOLM X (22 OCT 21:00).
CLOSE-UP ON THE TAVIANI BROTHERS at Close-Up (05 to 22 OCT):
- KAOS (22 OCT 19:30).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- MANDY (22 OCT 13:00 & 15:20).
- SUSPIRIA (1977) (22 OCT 18:30 – Sold Out!).
- DEATH LINE 35mm (22 OCT 18:05).
- KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (22 OCT 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today… which probably means we’ve missed something! Let us know in the comments below.
> Visit our Festivals A–Z for London’s most comprehensive listings.
DOGMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 OCT 17:50 & 20:55):
- Marcello is a small and gentle dog groomer who wants two things, to look after his clients’ dogs and take his daughter on exotic holidays. But to fund this lifestyle he runs a side business which has some rather unsavoury clientele and soon finds himself involved in a dangerous relationship of subjugation with Simone, a violent former boxer who terrorises the entire neighbourhood.
FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at DocHouse (22 OCT 14:00 & 18:20):
- Michael Moore is back. And this time, he’s coming after Trump. The legendary documentarian focuses on the date of Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, to build a state of the nation that speaks to its community; exposing election rigging, media manipulation and the power of the youth.
ORPHÉE at BFI Southbank (22 OCT 14:30, 18:30 & 20:40):
- Jean Cocteau’s wildly imaginative allegorical reworking of the Orpheus myth is surely his greatest movie. Critic Gilbert Adair applauded the film for being like no other (‘Oh, the magic!’), while Ray Durgnat wrote that it gripped ‘like a bondage corset’ – it’s that rich and strange.
More films in London this week (A – Z): FILMWORKER at The Montpellier (until 24 OCT). FIRST MAN at The Castle (19 to 25 OCT). MANDY at Rio Cinema (19 to 25 OCT). MY FRIEND DAHMER at Whirled Cinema (22 to 28 OCT). THE SCHOOL IN THE CLOUD at DocHouse (19 to 25 OCT). SINK at ArtHouse Crouch End (19 to 25 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.