RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
IN DER DÄMMERSTUNDE BERLIN DE L’AUBE À LA NUIT 16mm d. Annik Leroy, 1980 + Q&A with the director at Deptford Cinema (23 MAR 16:00 – repeats 24 MAR 16:00):
- “In the cold winter of 1980, Annik Leroy goes back to Berlin hoping to recapture the feeling she had experienced on her first visit. There, as she wanders along the Wall, she films the streets in gorgeous monochrome and records conversations with strangers reckoning with Germany’s violent past — creating all at once an Akerman-esque portrait of the city, an inquiry into the idea of collective guilt, and a deeply immersive journal of solitude.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
- New season LIVES UNWRITTEN: WOMEN AND DOMESTIC WORK ON FILM starts at The Geffrye Museum with Douglas Sirk’s IMITATION OF LIFE + INTRO by Dr Ella Parry-Davies (23 MAR 19:00). RADIANT CIRCUS subscribers get a 15 % discount for any film in the season.
- Genesis Cinema has announced a new David Lynch season called, appropriately enough, SECRETS, MYSTERY, ABSURDITY: THE WORLD OF DAVID LYNCH (02 to 25 APR).
- The Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR) gets going this week.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE GERMAN SISTERS d. Margarethe von Trotta, 1981 + RAT & LIFE DIET IN NORTH AMERICA d. Joyce Wieland, 1968 at ICA (23 MAR 18:30):
- The Machine That Kills Bad People presents: “Margarethe von Trotta’s New German Cinema classic THE GERMAN SISTERS is a study of sisterhood based on the real-life story of the Ensslin sisters, Juliane and Marianne. Joyce Weiland’s RAT & LIFE DIET IN NORTH AMERICA is a jail-break satire in which rats escape from political imprisonment in the United States and make an escape to Canada.”
- Black Femme Film presents: “The independently run film club for black/mixed women turns 1 this March with a screening of Jordan Peele’s psychological horror movie, US. But do not fear, you will be surrounded by fellow black/mixed women to hold you down if you do catch a fright! Tickets for the film & party sold separately.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BORDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2018 at Barbican (23 MAR 16:00).
- DON’T LOSE YOUR HEAD aka Carry On… Don’t Lose Your Head d. Gerald Thomas, 1967 at The Cinema Museum (23 MAR 17:00 – the following event, an evening with Tyler Butterworth is SOLD OUT!).
- ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND d. Michel Gondry, 2004 at Everyman Screen On The Green (23 MAR 23:30).
- GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (23 MAR 15:50).
- H IS FOR HARRY d. Ed Owles & Jaime Taylor, 2019 at DocHouse (23 MAR 14:20).
- IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK d. Barry Jenkins, 2018 at Peckhamplex (23 MAR 13:30).
- Who Night inc QUADROPHENIA d. Franc Roddam, 1979 + TRIBUTE ACT presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall Theatre (23 MAR 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (23 MAR 17:15).
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 13 APR):
- SANJURO 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1962 (23 MAR 14:55).
AND THE NOMINEES ARE… OSCARS 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 04 MAY):
- FREE SOLO d. Jimmy Chin & Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, 2018 (23 MAR 18:00).
CLOSE-UP ON ANDREI TARKOVSKY at Close-Up (02 to 31 MAR):
- THE SACRIFICE d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1986 (23 MAR 19:30).
THE FILMS OF JEAN-MARIE STRAUB AND DANIÈLE HUILLET Goethe-Institut & partners’ epic season starts at BFI Southbank, Birkbeck Cinema, Goethe-Institut & ICA (MAR to JUN):
- ‘MAMA, WHAT ARE MODERN PEOPLE?’ inc FROM TODAY UNTIL TOMORROW 35mm d. Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 1997 (23 MAR 14:00) + MUSIC PERFORMANCE (23 MAR 17:30, Royal College Of Music).
JOHN CARPENTER: A RESTORATION RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (03 MAR to 02 APR):
- THEY LIVE d. John Carpenter, 1988 (23 MAR 20:00).
JOHN CARPENTER RETROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 31 JUL):
- THE THING d. John Carpenter, 1982 (23 MAR 21:00).
KAIJU CHAOS at House Of Vans (08 to 31 MAR – Free! no booking required):
- GODZILLA FINAL WARS (23 MAR 15:00 & 17:30).
LIVES UNWRITTEN: WOMEN & DOMESTIC WORK ON FILM at The Geffrye Museum Of The Home (23 MAR to 27 APR):
- IMITATION OF LIFE d. Douglas Sirk, 1959 + INTRO by Dr Ella Parry-Davies (23 MAR 19:00).
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (until 23 MAR):
- 101 DALMATIANS d. Clyde Geronimi & Hamilton Luske, 1961 (23 MAR 13:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- BFI Flare: London LGBTQ+ Film Festival (21 to 31 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (22 MAR to 04 APR).
- Soundscreen Music & Film Festival (22 to 27 MAR).
- Turquazz Festival (13 to 30 MAR).
MINDING THE GAP d. Bing Liu, 2018 at The Prince Charles (23 MAR 15:45):
- “Bing Liu’s Academy Award®-nominated documentary is a coming-of-age saga drawing on over 12 years of footage in his Rust Belt hometown hit hard by decades of recession. In his quest to understand why so many of his peers in the skateboarding community ran away from home when they were younger, Bing follows 23-year-old Zack as he becomes a father and 17-year-old Keire as he gets his first job.”
SCOTTY AND THE SECRET HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD d. Matt Tyrnauer, 2018 at DocHouse (23 MAR 18:20):
- “Scotty Bowers was a busy man in his youth. Working at a gas station in Hollywood that brought him in close proximity with the stars, Bowers found he could offer other services that were more profitable and risqué. With a group of young handsome studs, Bowers offered gay hook-ups for Hollywood stars who had to put on a straight front post-production code moral panic of the 1930s.”
US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 at Rich Mix (23 MAR 15:20, 18:00 & 20:45):
- “Accompanied by her family, Adelaide Wilson returns to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by a traumatic experience from the past, Adelaide grows increasingly concerned that something bad is going to happen. Her worst fears soon become a reality when four masked strangers descend upon the house, forcing the Wilsons into a fight for survival.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- 30 (SHORT) + BELOVED DAYS d. Constantinos Patsalides, 2018 + 2015 at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 MAR). BENJAMIN d. Simon Amstell, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). BORDER d. Ali Abassi, 2018 at The Prince Charles (22 to 28 MAR). DRIVER d. Yehonatan Indursky, 2017 at JW3 (24 to 28 MAR). EVERYBODY KNOWS aka Todos lo Saben d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 at The Castle Cinema (until 28 MAR). GIRL d. Lukas Dhont, 2018 at ICA (until 27 MAR). THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER d. Sara Colangelo, 2018 at Watermans (22 to 28 MAR). THE PONDS d. Patrick McLennan & Samuel Smith, 2018 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 MAR). RAY & LIZ d. Richard Billingham, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SAUVAGE d. Camille Vidal-Naquet, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SHOPLIFTERS d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2018 at ICA (until 28 MAR). SORRY ANGEL aka Plaire, aimer et courir vite d. Christophe Honoré, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (22 MAR to 04 APR). UNDER THE SILVER LAKE d. David Robert Mitchell, 2018 at Rio Cinema (until 28 MAR). THE WHITE CROW d. Ralph Fiennes, 2018 at Phoenix Cinema (22 to 28 MAR). WIDOWS d. Steve McQueen, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 to 31 MAR).
Follow us | Get our free newsletter
Sign up for free Friday emails packed full of handpicked highlights.
RADIANT CIRCUS is patron powered, supported by readers’ monthly subscriptions, which start at just £2.99/month. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a site rebuild to make our listings fully searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Join us at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“A lot of love, time & effort being put into these really useful & comprehensive listings.” (A fan, via Twitter).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.