SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 23.09.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: The Badlands Collective presents ISHTAR 35mm (23 SEP 18:30), part of PAINFULLY FUNNY: THE COMPLETE DIRECTORIAL WORKS OF ELAINE MAY at ICA (21 to 23 SEP): “The film flopped on release, but its ongoing notoriety speaks more to a sexist industry’s discomfort with a maverick female auteur than it does to the film’s quality.” – The Badlands Collective.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DIY Double Bill: THE LOVE WITCH + A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT at Moth Club (23 SEP 15:00 & 19:00):
- Deeper Into Movies presents an F-Rated horror double:
- THE LOVE WITCH – Anna Biller directs this comedy horror starring Samantha Robinson, Jeffrey Vincent Parise and Laura Waddell which pays homage to the Technicolor thrillers of the 1960s and 70s.
- A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT – Ana Lily Amirpour directs the first Iranian vampire film about a young boy who faces financial and family struggles in his small town and encounters a young vampire. She unknowingly assists the boy with his struggles but he has to make a potentially fatal choice.
Double Bill: A FACE IN THE CROWD + SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS at Regent Street Cinema (23 SEP 13:00 & 15:30):
- Two directed by Elia Kazan:
- A FACE IN THE CROWD – An Arkansas drifter becomes an overnight media sensation. As he becomes drunk with fame and power, will he ever be exposed as the fraud he has become?
- SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS – A fragile Kansas girl’s love for a handsome young man from the town’s most powerful family drives her to heartbreak and madness.
MOCNY CZLOWIEK aka STRONG MAN – RESCORED BY GROK at Genesis Cinema (23 SEP 18:00 – Free!/ Booking recommended):
- Grok will be performing a live score to Henryk Szaro’s MOCNY CZLOWIEK (1929). Grok are an improvisational group based in East London. Their sound incorporates post-rock guitars, melodic bass, responsive rhythms and atmospheric electronics.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BEING THERE at Prince Charles (23 SEP 20:45).
- C’EST LA VIE! at Ciné Lumière (23 SEP 20:45).
- THE FOUNTAINHEAD 35mmat BFI (23 SEP 15:00).
- I, TONYA at Whirled Cinema (23 SEP 18:00).
- JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH 35mm at BFI (23 SEP 13:00).
- LES VACANCES DU PETIT NICOLAS at at Ciné Lumière (23 SEP 11:00).
- THE NUN (1965) at Ciné Lumière (23 SEP 16:10).
- THE PROFESSIONALS Revisited + Q&A with cast & crew presented by Misty Moon at The Cinema Museum (23 SEP 14:30).
- SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER presented indoors by Nomad Cinema at The Hoxton (23 SEP 19:30).
- THE SHININGat BFI (23 SEP 19:40).
- THE SQUARE part of Deptford X Fringe at Deptford Cinema (23 SEP 19:30).
- UP at Picturehouse Central (23 SEP 15:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE WOMEN at Genesis Cinema (23 SEP 20:30).
- UNDER THE WIRE at DocHouse (23 SEP 12:30).
- WHITNEY at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (23 SEP 19:15).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- SERGIO LEONE’S ‘DOLLARS TRILOGY’ 3 films, 1 ticket (23 SEP 13:00).
BACK 2 SCHOOL at House Of Vans (06 to 23 SEP – Free!/No booking required):
- DEAD POET’S SOCIETY (23 SEP 14:00 & 16:00).
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (SEP TO OCT):
- TWO GENTLEMEN SHARING 35mm (23 SEP 17:20).
CLOSE-UP ON PETER WATKINS at Close-Up (05 to 28 SEP):
- LA COMMUNE (Paris, 1871): Theatrical Cut + INTRO by Peter Watkins (23 SEP 18:00 – Sold Out!).
FACE TO FACE WITH GERMAN TALENT: THE GERMAN FILM WEEKEND at Regent Street Cinema (21 to 23 SEP):
- THE CAPTAIN + INTRO (23 SEP 18:00).
- OH BOY (23 SEP 20:30).
PAINFULLY FUNNY: THE COMPLETE DIRECTORIAL WORKS OF ELAINE MAY at ICA (21 to 23 SEP):
- MIKEY & NICKY 35mm (23 SEP 16:00).
- ISHTAR 35mm (23 SEP 18:30).
VARDA BY AGNÈS at Ciné Lumière (until 30 SEP):
- SANS TOIT NI LOI (23 SEP 14:00).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- POOR COW + INTERVIEW with Lesley Sharp (23 SEP 13:30 – INTERVIEW RESCHEDULED!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Created Out Of Mind Short Film Festival (23 SEP)
- Japanese Avant-garde and Experimental Film Festival (21 to 23 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
CLIMAX at Genesis Cinema (23 SEP 16:00 & 21:00):
- Following a successful and visually dazzling rehearsal, a dance troupe celebrates with a party. But when it becomes apparent that someone has spiked the Sangria, the dancers soon begin to turn on each other in an orgiastic frenzy.
MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at ArtHouse Crouch End (23 SEP 12:15, 14:35, 16:50, 19:00 & 21:15):
- Drawn from a cache of personal video recordings from the past 22 years, director Steve Loveridge’s Sundance award-winning MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. is a startlingly personal profile of the critically acclaimed artist, chronicling her remarkable journey from refugee immigrant to pop star.
- Also at DocHouse (21 to 27 SEP).
FACES PLACES at Ciné Lumière (23 SEP 18:50):
- What connects Agnès Varda, living legend of cinema and feminism, to JR, young photographer who stood out of the crowd with his open-air galleries? A common passion for images, and more particularly, the places where they are showed, shared, exposed.
More films in London this week (A – Z): BLACKkKLANSMAN at Barbican (21 to 26 SEP). COLD WAR at The Castle (21 to 26 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). THE GODFATHER at BFI (21 to 08 OCT). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (22 to 27 SEP). LET THE SUNSHINE IN at Whirled Cinema (24 to 30 SEP). THE LITTLE STRANGER at Barbican (21 to 27 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse (21 to 27 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (21 to 27 SEP). PUZZLE at Watermans (21 to 27 SEP). QUINCY at ICA (21 to 27 SEP). REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (14 to 27 SEP). THE RIDER at Institute Of Light (21 to 27 SEP). WAJIB at ICA (21 to 27 SEP).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.