RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: DONKEYOTE + Q&A with director Chico Pereira at DocHouse (23 OCT 18:30): “This ‘donkumentary’ is a stellar documentary-fiction hybrid. … A crowd-pleasing tale of an old man with a dream, a dog and a donkey.” – Liam Lacey, Point Of View.
Save The Cinema Museum: With several independent venues under threat across London, RADIANT CIRCUS is proud to be supporting the campaign to Save The Cinema Museum. Read our interview with The Celluloid Sorceress, Rebecca Nicole Williams, about her SPARKLE fundraiser with Samira Ahmed [28 OCT 15:00], then get booking with our exclusive discount code.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DONKEYOTE + Q&A with director Chico Pereira at DocHouse (23 OCT 18:30):
- An adventure film like you’ve never seen, this extraordinary observational documentary follows 73-year-old Manolo, who lives a simple life in Southern Spain, as he plans to walk the brutal 2200-mile trail of tears in the US with just his donkey Gorrión as his companion.
MOUNTAIN + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by the Australian Chamber Orchestra at Barbican (23 OCT 20:00 – Sold Out!):
- A nature documentary like you’ve never heard before: the soaring heights and superhuman terrors of the world’s great mountain ranges, accompanied by live music.
SINK + Q&A with actor Martin Herdman at ArtHouse Crouch End (23 OCT 18:40):
- SINK was shot mainly in South East London. It’s about Micky Mason, a skilled manual worker who, since the Crash, can find nothing but menial zero hours jobs. He takes a course of action that is completely out of character.
- SINK also enjoys a grind show run at the same venue (19 to 25 OCT).
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE ANCIENT WOODS + Q&A with director Mindaugas Survila at Regent Street Cinema (23 OCT 19:30).
- AN EVENING WITH BEVERLY LUFF LINN at Picturehouse Central (23 OCT 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- FACES PLACES at The David Lean (23 OCT 19:30).
- FEMALE HUMAN ANIMAL + Q&A at JW3 (23 OCT 20:30).
- LOST & FOUND + Q&Awith Liam O Mochain at Genesis Cinema (23 OCT 18:30).
- MASQUERADE IN VIENNA at The Austrian Cultural Forum (23 OCT 19:00 – Free!).
- MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. + DJ presented by Deeper Into Movies at Miranda Ace Hotel Shoreditch (23 OCT 19:00).
- THE MISFITS presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (23 OCT 20:00).
- MOMENTUM GENERATION presented by Wavelength Magazine at Genesis Cinema (23 OCT 20:30).
- PHANTOM THREAD presented by Wimbledon Film Club at HMV Curzon (23 OCT 20:30).
- THE SEAGULL at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT 20:40).
- SCIENCE FAIR at DocHouse (23 OCT 14:30).
- TEHRAN TABOO at Watermans (23 OCT 16:00).
- THRONE OF BLOOD 35mm aka Kumonosu-jô at BFI (23 OCT 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- MICKEY 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (23 OCT 18:20).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- MANDY (23 OCT 13:15 : 15:45).
- SUSPIRIA (1977) (23 OCT 16:00 & 18:35).
- WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (23 OCT 20:45 – Sold Out!).
- PRACTICAL MAGIC 35mm (23 OCT 18:20).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- Jane Fonda In Conversation (23 OCT 18:30 – Sold Out!).
- 9 to 5 + INTRO by Jane Fonda (23 OCT 20:30 – Last few tickets!).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT to 18 NOV):
- ORPHÉE (23 OCT 18:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- René Clair Double-bill: PARIS QUI DORT + LE VOYAGE IMAGINAIRE + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (23 OCT 20:15).
- ORPHÉE (23 OCT 14:30, 18:10 & 20:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today… which probably means we’ve missed something! Let us know in the comments below.
> Visit our Festivals A–Z for London’s most comprehensive listings.
DOGMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (23 OCT 14:00, 16:20 & 21:15):
- Marcello is a small and gentle dog groomer who wants two things, to look after his clients’ dogs and take his daughter on exotic holidays. But to fund this lifestyle he runs a side business which has some rather unsavoury clientele and soon finds himself involved in a dangerous relationship of subjugation with Simone, a violent former boxer who terrorises the entire neighbourhood.
FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at DocHouse (23 OCT 20:50):
- Michael Moore is back. And this time, he’s coming after Trump. The legendary documentarian focuses on the date of Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, to build a state of the nation that speaks to its community; exposing election rigging, media manipulation and the power of the youth.
ORPHÉE at BFI Southbank (23 OCT 14:30, 18:10 & 20:50):
- Jean Cocteau’s wildly imaginative allegorical reworking of the Orpheus myth is surely his greatest movie. Critic Gilbert Adair applauded the film for being like no other (‘Oh, the magic!’), while Ray Durgnat wrote that it gripped ‘like a bondage corset’ – it’s that rich and strange.
More films in London this week (A – Z): FILMWORKER at The Montpellier (until 24 OCT). FIRST MAN at The Castle (19 to 25 OCT). MANDY at Rio Cinema (19 to 25 OCT). MY FRIEND DAHMER at Whirled Cinema (22 to 28 OCT). THE SCHOOL IN THE CLOUD at DocHouse (19 to 25 OCT). SINK at ArtHouse Crouch End (19 to 25 OCT).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.