RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: PEOPLE POWER BOMBSHELL: THE DIARY OF VIETNAM ROSE + Q&A with John Torres at Close-Up (24 SEP 20:15), part of Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (17 to 30 SEP): “The result of found footage of an unfinished film by prolific Filipino director Celso Advento Castillo… 30 years later, John Torres set about mixing this footage with new footage, together with a new soundscape including interviews with the original cast and crew.”
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BIG LEBOWSKI 20TH Anniversary various venues/times (24 SEP):
- The hilariously twisted comedy-thriller – starring Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi and Julianne Moore – returns to the big screen for one night only! Join the “Dude” and his bowling buddies on their journey that blends unforgettable characters, kidnapping, a case of mistaken identity and White Russians.
- Venues include: ArtHouse Crouch End (19:20), Phoenix Cinema(20:00), Picturehouse Central (18:30), and Rich Mix (20:45).
BUTTERFLY + Q&A with writer Tony Marchant, exec producer Nicola Shindler & actor Alison Steadman at BFI Southbank (24 SEP 18:15):
- TV preview: From award-winning writer Tony Marchant, a heartfelt and sensitive drama about a complex family situation. When Max, their 11-year-old, experiences increasingly distressing feelings around gender, separated parents Vicky and Stephen attempt to work together.
DOWN TO EARTH + INTRO at Ritzy (24 SEP 18:30):
- Leaving behind their cosmopolitan London life, a couple and their three young children travel the ends of the earth searching for a new perspective on life. In their five-year journey across six continents, they live with some of the oldest indigenous communities on the planet.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- I CAN ONLY IMAGINE at Peckhamplex (24 SEP 18:30).
- PERSONA at BFI (24 SEP 20:40).
- STOP! OR MY MOM WILL SHOOT 35mm The Good Bad Movie Club at Prince Charles (24 SEP 21:00).
- SKATE KITCHEN preview presented by Fringe Flings! at Genesis Cinema (24 SEP 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP):
MUSIC & MOVIES: THE AUTUMN SEASON at Genesis Cinema (ongoing):
- FRANCES HA! + CHEERBLEEDERZ – ME REX – TEA LEAF LIVE (24 SEP 19:00).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- TRACK 29 35mm (24 SEP 20:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (17 to 30 SEP).
- Darkroom Festival (24 to 30 SEP).
- Scalarama (SEP).
CLIMAX at Genesis Cinema (24 SEP 15:45 & 21:00):
- Following a successful and visually dazzling rehearsal, a dance troupe celebrates with a party. But when it becomes apparent that someone has spiked the Sangria, the dancers soon begin to turn on each other in an orgiastic frenzy.
MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 SEP 13:00, 15:30, 18:00 & 20:25):
- Drawn from a cache of personal video recordings from the past 22 years, director Steve Loveridge’s Sundance award-winning MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. is a startlingly personal profile of the critically acclaimed artist, chronicling her remarkable journey from refugee immigrant to pop star.
- Also at DocHouse (21 to 27 SEP).
FACES PLACES at Ciné Lumière (24 SEP 18:45 & 20:40):
- What connects Agnès Varda, living legend of cinema and feminism, to JR, young photographer who stood out of the crowd with his open-air galleries? A common passion for images, and more particularly, the places where they are showed, shared, exposed.
More films in London this week (A – Z): BLACKkKLANSMAN at Barbican (21 to 26 SEP). COLD WAR at The Castle (21 to 26 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). THE GODFATHER at BFI (21 to 08 OCT). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (22 to 27 SEP). LET THE SUNSHINE IN at Whirled Cinema (24 to 30 SEP). THE LITTLE STRANGER at Barbican (21 to 27 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse (21 to 27 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (21 to 27 SEP). PUZZLE at Watermans (21 to 27 SEP). QUINCY at ICA (21 to 27 SEP). REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (14 to 27 SEP). THE RIDER at Institute Of Light (21 to 27 SEP). WAJIB at ICA (21 to 27 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.