RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: EVELYN + Q&A + WALK with members of the film team & family at Picturehouse Central (24 NOV 12:30): “Film-maker Orlando von Einsiedel turns the camera on his own family in this unfiltered exploration of the effects of suicide” – The Guardian.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: In our continuing series of interviews with London’s independent curators, Anna de Guia-Eriksson talks Filikino, a programme of classic and contemporary Philippine cinema, the Philippine film industry and recent audience responses to ALIPATO by Khavn De La Cruz at Genesis Cinema.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
EVELYN + Q&A + WALK with members of the film team & family at Picturehouse Central (24 NOV 12:30):
- When his brother died by suicide at 22, Orlando and his other two siblings buried the trauma, rarely talking about it. Over a decade later, the remaining family set out on a hiking tour, visiting landscapes his brother Evelyn had liked to walk.
- Afterwards, the audience will be invited on a “walk and talk” in the local area.
FEMALE HUMAN ANIMAL + Q&A with Josh Appignanesi and Chloe Aridjis at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 NOV 20:00):
- Shot in the real-life contemporary art world, FEMALE HUMAN ANIMAL is a psycho-thriller about a creative woman disenchanted with what modern life has to offer her.
French Impressions: THE GUARDIANS + TALK at Watermans Arts Centre (24 NOV 13:00):
- 1915. At the Paridier farm, a mother and her daughter have taken over the farm work in the absence of the men who have gone off to fight. Working relentlessly, their life follows the rhythms of difficult labor and the occasional return of the men on leave.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE ACTING CLASS at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (24 NOV 19:00).
- BURNING BUSH + INTRO by Sarah Marks at Birkbeck Cinema (24 NOV 14:00).
- CASABLANCA 35mm at The Prince Charles (24 NOV 18:50).
- FANNY AND ALEXANDER 35mm at The Prince Charles (24 NOV 15:00).
- I, TONYA presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall Theatre (24 NOV 19:30).
- KUSAMA – INFINITY at Barbican (24 NOV 14:15).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Barbican (24 NOV 15:55).
- THE SECOND AWAKENING OF CHRISTA KLAGES at Picturehouse Central (24 NOV 13:15).
- ŞEYTAN aka THE TURKISH EXORCIST + PANEL at The Cinema Museum (24 NOV 19:30 – Sold Out!).
- THE WILD PEAR TREE previews at ICA (24 NOV 15:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- WES ANDERSON MARATHON 6 films, 1 ticket (24 NOV 21:00).
- JOHN CARPENTER MARATHON 7 films, 1 ticket (24 NOV 21:15).
- Just be sure to follow the rules…
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- TV Preview: WATERSHIP DOWN + Q&A with actor James McAvoy, screenwriter Tom Bidwell & director Noam Murro (24 NOV 11:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- THE YOUNG ONES + Q&A (24 NOV 13:40).
- DUCK SOUP (24 NOV 19:00).
- 9 TO 5 (24 NOV 20:45).
- THIS IS SPINAL TAP 35mm (24 NOV 23:00).
KICK-ASS 80S COMEDIES at House of Vans (09 NOV to 02 DEC – Free! / No booking required):
- THE BLUES BROTHERS (24 NOV 15:00 & 17:30).
WANG BING: TRACES at Tate Modern (23 to 25 NOV):
- WEST OF THE TRACKS (24 NOV 12:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Bicycle Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- GFEST (12 to 24 NOV).
- Irish Film Festival (21 to 25 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (16 to 28 NOV).
- November Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- Swiff: South West London International Film Festival (24 NOV).
- Underwire Film Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (11 to 24 NOV).
ORIONE at ICA (24 NOV 17:45):
- Alejandro ‘Ale’ Robles was a gang member betrayed by a friend and killed by police. Through a series of engaging and sometimes uneasily juxtaposed fragments, director Toia Bonino evokes different aspects of his life.
POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (24 NOV 15:55):
- Newly arrived in London from Essex, Jim is broke, jobless and calling an intricately made cardboard box home when he catches the eye of four male escorts who specialise in erudite post-coital conversation.
SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (24 NOV 20:30):
- Winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes 2018, Hirokazu Kore-eda’s (NOBODY KNOWS) latest film SHOPLIFTERS is a profoundly moving drama about a poverty-stricken family petty thieving to make ends meet, when they come across a shivering little girl foraging for scraps in the cold winter night.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOSTASY at Whirled Cinema (26 NOV to 02 DEC). BACK TO BERLIN at JW3 (25 to 29 NOV). THE JUDGE at DocHouse (23 to 29 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 02 DEC). NAE PASARAN! at ArtHouse (23 NOV to 30 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Ciné Lumière (23 to 30 NOV). RAMS at Barbican (23 to 29 NOV). WIDOWS at Watermans Arts Centre (23 to 29 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.