RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
VHS Double Bill: KIDS + GUMMO d. Larry Clark, 1995 + Harmony Korine, 1997 at Moth Club (25 AUG 13:30 – FREE!).
- “DEEPER INTO MOVIES is taking it back to the 90s with screenings the notorious indie classics KIDS (UNCUT) and GUMMO on glorious VHS complete with bad trailers.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY launches this autumn at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y 8EQ (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). This brand new popup cinema screens daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers. Here’s everything you need to know!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
WASTE d. Dominic Ryan, 2019 + Live Performance by The Aim at The Cinema Museum (25 AUG 19:00):
- “WASTE tells career criminal Charlie Peters’ story as he leaves jail after the latest of a long series of sentences. He is determined to rebuild his relationship with his estranged daughter and stay on the straight and narrow. He faces an uphill struggle. WASTE was shot entirely on location in Kennington and surrounding areas on an ultra low budget by an enthusiastic cast and crew.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A GENTLE WOMAN aka Une femme douce d. Robert Bresson at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG 17:15).
- Burial Lecture + Screening inc DEALER (2014) presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (25 AUG 19:00).
- THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (25 AUG 14:25).
- Double Bill: LOOK BACK IN ANGER + SONS & LOVERS 35mm d. Tony Richardson, 1958 + d. Jack Cardiff, 1960 at Regent Street Cinema (25 AUG 14:00 + 16:00).
- FREEDOM FIELDS d. Naziha Arebi, 2018 presented by Maghreb Ciné at Draper Hall (25 AUG 15:30).
- LETO d. Kirill Serebrennikov, 2018 at ICA (25 AUG 16:45).
- RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK d. Steven Spielberg, 1981 presented by Empire Magazine at Picturehouse Central (25 AUG 15:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- VOLVER d. Pedro Almodovar, 2006 at ICA (25 AUG 12:30).
- WALKING ON WATER d. Andrey Paounov, 2018 at DocHouse (25 AUG 16:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- THE MATRIX TRILOGY 3 Films, 1 Ticket (25 AUG 23:30).
- MYSTERY MOVIE MARATHON 5 Mystery Films, 1 Ticket (25 AUG 23:50).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (25 AUG 20:15).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- HIS GIRL FRIDAY d. Howard Hawks, 1940 (25 AUG 15:45).
IN THE EYES OF THE LAW at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG to 02 OCT):
- LA VÉRITÉ d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1960 (25 AUG 14:00).
THE INVISIBLES: THE WORK OF EUGENIO POLGOVSKY at ICA (25 AUG to 01 SEP):
- SUCCESS + TROPIC OF CANCER d. Eugenio Polgovsky, 2014 + 2004 + Panel Discussion (25 AUG 18:30).
KUBRICK: Back By Popular Demand… at BFI IMAX & Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGEd. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 (25 AUG 20:10).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- GAS FOOD LODGING d. Allison Anders, 1992 (25 AUG 17:45).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- FRANKENSTEIN d. James Whale, 1931 + Short: THE ART OF SCI-FI BOOK COVERS (25 AUG 15:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Rainer Werner Fassbinder’s BRD Trilogy – LOLA d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1981 (25 AUG 18:00).
- Krzysztof Kieślowski’s Three Colours Trilogy – THREE COLOURS: RED d. Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993 (25 AUG 20:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Rich Mix (25 AUG 15:10 & 17:30):
- “When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organise a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom, they prove that with little more than a clever idea, a mischievous sense of humour, and a few rebellious friends, you can speak truth to power in some truly profound ways.”
PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at Arthouse Crouch End (25 AUG 12:30, 15:10, 17:45 & 20:30):
- “Long-time Almodóvar leading man Antonio Banderas stars as Salvador Mallo, a director whose physical ailments have led into an almost hermit-like existence, before he is reunited with an actor from his past and embarks on a wild new chapter.”
SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at JW3 (25 AUG 20:30):
- “Jamie Bell shines in Israeli filmmaker Guy Nattiv’s first English language feature (Nattiv’s short film of the same name won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short this year). Bell is Bryon Widner, a young man raised by skinheads, who embarks on a near-impossible process of moving away from the community that shaped him.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 AUG to 05 SEP). AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 29 AUG). HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (23 to 29 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 28 AUG). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 29 AUG – Selected screening times). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (23 AUG to 04 SEP). US d. Jordan Peele, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (26 AUG to 01 SEP). WAITING FOR THE CARNIVAL d. Marcelo Gomes, 2019 at DocHouse (23 to 29 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.