RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: We love a double… Angela Schanelec: PASSING SUMMER aka Mein Langsames Leben & Edward Yang: THE TERRORIZERS aka Kong Bu Fen Zi (25 SEP 18:45) concludes ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP): “THE TERRORIZERS (featured image): The experience of a city as worn-out emotion: in the mid-1980s, Edward Yang, trailblazer of the New Taiwanese Cinema, is at the peak of his craft.” – The Goethe-Institut.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HOTEL GAGARIN + Q&A with executive producer Valeria Licurgo at Regent Street Cinema (25 SEP 19:30):
- CinemaItaliaUK presents: A lovely comedy with a message about the cinema as a factory of dreams featuring Claudio Amendola, Luca Argentero and Giuseppe Battiston. The screening will be followed by a Q&A with executive producer Valeria Licurgo and some nibbles.
NUREYEV + Q&A with directors Jacqui Morris & David Morris at Curzon Mayfair (25 SEP 18:15):
- Rudolf Nureyev is regarded as the Lord of the Dance – the greatest male dancer the ballet world has ever known. His artistry was beyond reproach and he was adored by fans and peers alike. This documentary draws together interviews with those who knew and loved Nureyev, archive footage and recently filmed danced pieces.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI: 20TH Anniversary at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (25 SEP 19:00).
- CLOCKWORK ORANGE presented by Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (25 SEP 21:00).
- FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE aka Per qualche dollaro in più 35mm at Prince Charles (25 SEP 15:35).
- THE GODFATHER at Picturehouse Central (25 SEP 18:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- IN PRAISE OF NOTHING at ICA (25 SEP 13:30).
- LES DEMOISELLES DE ROCHEFORT 35mm at BFI (25 SEP 20:30).
- NUREYEV at Phoenix Cinema (25 SEP 18:15).
- NUREYEV at DocHouse (25 SEP 18:30).
- RAINING STONES presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (25 SEP 20:00).
- SHAKES THE CLOWN at Prince Charles (25 SEP 18:25 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
- The David Lean: VAGABOND (25 SEP 19:30).
ALWAYS SOMEWHERE ELSE – THE CINEMA OF ANGELA SCHANELEC IN DIALOGUE at Goethe-Institut (13 to 25 SEP):
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (SEP TO OCT):
- AVA & GABRIEL: A LOVE STORY + INTRO by June Givanni (25 SEP 18:10).
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- LUCKY (25 SEP 20:50).
VARDA BY AGNÈS at Ciné Lumière (until 30 SEP):
- SANS TOIT NI LOI (25 SEP 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
CLIMAX at Genesis Cinema (25 SEP 15:45):
- Following a successful and visually dazzling rehearsal, a dance troupe celebrates with a party. But when it becomes apparent that someone has spiked the Sangria, the dancers soon begin to turn on each other in an orgiastic frenzy.
MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 SEP 13:00, 15:30, 18:00 & 20:25):
- Drawn from a cache of personal video recordings from the past 22 years, director Steve Loveridge’s Sundance award-winning MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. is a startlingly personal profile of the critically acclaimed artist, chronicling her remarkable journey from refugee immigrant to pop star.
- Also at DocHouse (21 to 27 SEP).
FACES PLACES at Ciné Lumière (25 SEP 20:40):
- What connects Agnès Varda, living legend of cinema and feminism, to JR, young photographer who stood out of the crowd with his open-air galleries? A common passion for images, and more particularly, the places where they are showed, shared, exposed.
More films in London this week (A – Z): BLACKkKLANSMAN at Barbican (21 to 26 SEP). COLD WAR at The Castle (21 to 26 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). THE GODFATHER at BFI (21 to 08 OCT). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (22 to 27 SEP). LET THE SUNSHINE IN at Whirled Cinema (24 to 30 SEP). THE LITTLE STRANGER at Barbican (21 to 27 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse (21 to 27 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (21 to 27 SEP). PUZZLE at Watermans (21 to 27 SEP). QUINCY at ICA (21 to 27 SEP). REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (14 to 27 SEP). THE RIDER at Institute Of Light (21 to 27 SEP). WAJIB at ICA (21 to 27 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.