SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 25.10.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: Bird’s Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents BEEN SO LONG + Q&A with cast & crew at Genesis Cinema (25 OCT 21:00): “The kind of film that comes along all too rarely; it is the London we all know, a celebration of the shady clubs, pubs and kebab shops as well as the small businesses and familiar high street that make Camden such a distinctive part of London. It’s also sweet, fun and gorgeous to look out, a truly British film that celebrates the extraordinary feeling of living in the everyday.” – Maryam Philpott, The Reviews Hub.
Save The Cinema Museum: With several independent venues under threat across London, RADIANT CIRCUS is proud to be supporting the campaign to Save The Cinema Museum. Read our interview with The Celluloid Sorceress, Rebecca Nicole Williams, about her SPARKLE fundraiser with Samira Ahmed [28 OCT 15:00], then get booking with our exclusive discount code.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BEEN SO LONG + Q&A with cast & crew at Genesis Cinema (25 OCT 21:00):
- Bird’s Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: CHEWING GUM star Michaela Coel leads a talented cast in Tinge Krishnan’s contemporary London musical, which reimagines Camden as a romantic neon-soaked wonderland.
BEING BLACKER + Q&A with director Molly Dineen & Steve Martin aka Blacker Dread at House of Vans (25 OCT 19:00 – Free / Booking required):
- Commune Cinema presents: The story of the renowned reggae record shop owner and music producer Blacker Dread, his extended family, friends and the wider Brixton community.
SAVING BRINTON + SPECIAL FEATURES at The Cinema Museum (25 OCT 19:30):
- A Save The Cinema Museum Fundraiser: Retired Iowa Teacher of the Year Michael Zahs, makes a remarkable discovery — the Brinton Collection of century-old films that introduced middle America to the movies including treasures from Georges Méliés, Thomas Edison and the Lumiere Brothers.
SINK + Q&A with director Mark Gillis at Genesis Cinema (25 OCT 18:30):
- SINK was shot mainly in South East London. It’s about Micky Mason, a skilled manual worker who, since the Crash, can find nothing but menial zero hours jobs. He takes a course of action that is completely out of character.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACK MILLWALL + Q&A with director Chris Haydon at Peckhamplex (25 OCT 18:30).
- DEATH AT A FUNERAL presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (25 OCT 19:30).
- JOURNEY TO ITALY aka Viaggio in Italia at BFI (25 OCT 18:40).
- KISS ME DEADLY at BFI (25 OCT 18:15).
- LEGEND presented by the Bigger Picture Film Club at The Ivy House (25 OCT 20:00).
- OCEAN’S 8 + FOOD presented by Welcome Cinema + Kitchen & Verve at Amnesty International (25 OCT 18:00).
- ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO’S NEST + PANEL presented by Psychology at the Movies at Regent Street Cinema (25 OCT 19:00).
- ORPHÉE at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 OCT 15:10).
- PUZZLE at The David Lean (25 OCT 14:30 & 19:30).
- THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (25 OCT 20:30).
- SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER 10th Birthday Screening at Lexi Cinema (25 OCT 20:30).
- THE SEAGULL at Ciné Lumière (25 OCT 16:00).
- TEHRAN TABOO at Ciné Lumière (25 OCT 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (08 to 27 OCT):
- THREE MONKEYS (25 OCT 20:30).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY aka Les Vacances De Monsieur Hulot (25 OCT 20:50).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- MANDY (25 OCT 15:40).
- SUSPIRIA (1977) (25 OCT 13:00).
- THE GUEST (25 OCT 18:25).
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- TV Preview: Jane Fonda in Five Acts (25 OCT 20:30 – Tickets free on the day).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (23 OCT to 18 NOV):
- ORPHÉE (25 OCT 18:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER 35mm La Chute De La Maison Usher + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (25 OCT 20:35).
- Le Fantastique: A Curious Tour of the French Weird talk (25 OCT 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- 70 Years Of Israeli Cinema (25 to 28 OCT – Free!).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
DOGMAN at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 OCT 12:55 & 17:10):
- Marcello is a small and gentle dog groomer who wants two things, to look after his clients’ dogs and take his daughter on exotic holidays. But to fund this lifestyle he runs a side business which has some rather unsavoury clientele and soon finds himself involved in a dangerous relationship of subjugation with Simone, a violent former boxer who terrorises the entire neighbourhood.
FAHRENHEIT 11/9 at DocHouse (25 OCT 14:00 & 20:30):
- Michael Moore is back. And this time, he’s coming after Trump. The legendary documentarian focuses on the date of Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, to build a state of the nation that speaks to its community; exposing election rigging, media manipulation and the power of the youth.
ORPHÉE at BFI Southbank (25 OCT 14:30, 18:20 & 20:45):
- Jean Cocteau’s wildly imaginative allegorical reworking of the Orpheus myth is surely his greatest movie. Critic Gilbert Adair applauded the film for being like no other (‘Oh, the magic!’), while Ray Durgnat wrote that it gripped ‘like a bondage corset’ – it’s that rich and strange.
More films in London this week (A – Z): FILMWORKER at The Montpellier (until 24 OCT). FIRST MAN at The Castle (19 to 25 OCT). MANDY at Rio Cinema (19 to 25 OCT). MY FRIEND DAHMER at Whirled Cinema (22 to 28 OCT). THE SCHOOL IN THE CLOUD at DocHouse (19 to 25 OCT). SINK at ArtHouse Crouch End (19 to 25 OCT).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.