SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 25.11.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: THE COHENS AND THE KELLYS + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Dermot Dunne & Nick Roth at Barbican (25 NOV 15:30): “The first of a series of eight comedies featuring the Cohens and Kellys – two quarrelling families that can’t get away from each other.”
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: In our continuing series of interviews with London’s independent curators, Anna de Guia-Eriksson talks Filikino, a programme of classic and contemporary Philippine cinema, the Philippine film industry and recent audience responses to ALIPATO by Khavn De La Cruz at Genesis Cinema. Read our interview HERE, then book for the next film in the series, TODO TODO TEROS at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:30).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE COHENS AND THE KELLYS + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Dermot Dunne & Nick Roth at Barbican (25 NOV 15:30):
- The first of a series of eight comedies featuring the Cohens and Kellys – two quarrelling families that can’t get away from each other.
SOLESEEKERS + Q&A director Emil Socialize at Stratford Picturehouse (25 NOV 18:00):
- The UK’s first ever feature length documentary on UK trainer culture makes history as it stomps it’s way onto the big screen. Documenting the rise of collectors, inspectors and respecters of trainers, affectionately known as “sneaker heads”.
STILL MARCHING: CARVE HER NAME WITH PRIDE + Q&A with historian Clare Mulley at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 NOV 18:45):
- The story of the real life Anglo-French war widow and mother Violette Szabo, who became a secret agent in occupied France during the Second World War. This powerful film drama chronicles the sacrifices and challenges faced as Violette undergoes intensive training, followed by missions with the French Resistance and the horror of a concentration camp.
SUPER NOVEMBER + STAND-UP/Q&A with director Douglas King & writer/star Josie Long at The Prince Charles Cinema (25 NOV 20:45):
- Josie Long stars in the mumblecore comedy meets socio-political drama as a romance obsessed librarian in Glasgow. In the midst of an exciting new relationship she almost forgets about the mounting political turmoil and potential right wing coup.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AS GOOD AS IT GETS presented by Mycenae Community Cinema at 90 Mycenae Road (25 NOV).
- BE-LONGING short film + Q&A with director Mike McKenzie at The Lexi (25 NOV 14:30).
- BENEATH THE CLOCKTOWER + INTRO by director Harvey Marcus at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 NOV 15:20).
- THE FUGITIVE 35mm at The Prince Charles (25 NOV 18:00).
- KISS KISS BANG BANG 35mm at The Prince Charles (25 NOV 21:00).
- LADY BIRD + FRANCES HA presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (25 NOV 15:00).
- LIFT TO THE SCAFFOLD aka Ascenseur Pour L’échafaud at BFI (25 NOV 15:30).
- Neutral Milk Hotel On Film + Documentary Premiere presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (25 NOV 15:00).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Barbican (25 NOV 13:45).
- QUEEN NANNY: LEGENDARY MAROON CHIEFTAINESS presented by Black History Studies at The Ritzy (25 NOV 12:30).
- RARE EXPORTS – A CHRISTMAS TALE presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (25 NOV 19:30).
- REVENGE presented by Vertigo Film & #WomenInFilm2018 at Genesis Cinema (25 NOV 21:00 – Free!).
- WAJIB at Whirled Cinema (25 NOV 18:00).
- WHITE CHRISTMAS at Picturehouse Central (25 NOV 15:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (25 NOV 14:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- GREMLINS 70mm (25 NOV 15:35).
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT + Q&A with animation director Richard Williams (25 NOV 12:00).
- THE THIEF AND THE COBBLER: A MOMENT IN TIME + Q&A with director Richard Williams (25 NOV 14:45).
CLOSE-UP ON INGMAR BERGMAN at Close-Up (02 NOV to 30 DEC):
- THE SEVENTH SEAL (25 NOV 20:30).
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- A FANTASTIC WOMAN (25 NOV 20:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- EXIT SMILING 35mm + SHE DONE HIM WRONG 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by John Sweeney (25 NOV 13:00).
- 9 TO 5 (25 NOV 15:20, 17:40 & 20:15).
- THE AWFUL TRUTH (25 NOV 16:00).
- ALL OF ME 35mm (25 NOV 20:10).
KICK-ASS 80S COMEDIES at House of Vans (09 NOV to 02 DEC – Free! / No booking required):
- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (25 NOV 14:00 & 16:00).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (28 OCT 2018 to 24 FEB 2019):
- LOS CRONOCRÍMENES aka Timecrimes + TALK by Dr Nikk Effingham (25 NOV 15:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- THE WIND RISES (25 NOV 12:45).
WANG BING: TRACES at Tate Modern (23 to 25 NOV):
- BITTER MONEY (25 NOV 13:00).
- TRACES AND ARTIST TALK (25 NOV 17:30).
WORLD WAR ONE: REGENERATIONS II at BFI Southbank (NOV):
- PRIVATE PEACEFUL (25 NOV 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Bicycle Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- EFG London Jazz Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- Irish Film Festival (21 to 25 NOV).
- London Palestine Film Festival (16 to 28 NOV).
- November Film Festival (22 to 25 NOV).
- Russian Film Week (25 NOV to 02 DEC).
- Underwire Film Festival (16 to 25 NOV).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
NAE PASARAN! at ArtHouse (25 NOV 16:40):
- Felipe Bustos Sierra’s feature charts the incredible true story of the Scots who managed to ground half of Chile’s Air Force, from the other side of the world, in the longest single act of solidarity against Pinochet’s brutal dictatorship.
ORIONE at ICA (25 NOV 17:45):
- Alejandro ‘Ale’ Robles was a gang member betrayed by a friend and killed by police. Through a series of engaging and sometimes uneasily juxtaposed fragments, director Toia Bonino evokes different aspects of his life.
POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (25 NOV 15:55):
- Newly arrived in London from Essex, Jim is broke, jobless and calling an intricately made cardboard box home when he catches the eye of four male escorts who specialise in erudite post-coital conversation.
SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (25 NOV 20:10):
- Winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes 2018, Hirokazu Kore-eda’s (NOBODY KNOWS) latest film SHOPLIFTERS is a profoundly moving drama about a poverty-stricken family petty thieving to make ends meet, when they come across a shivering little girl foraging for scraps in the cold winter night.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOSTASY at Whirled Cinema (26 NOV to 02 DEC). BACK TO BERLIN at JW3 (25 to 29 NOV). THE JUDGE at DocHouse (23 to 29 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 02 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Ciné Lumière (23 to 30 NOV). RAMS at Barbican (23 to 29 NOV). WIDOWS at Watermans Arts Centre (23 to 29 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.