RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SHOOTING THE MAFIA d. Kim Longinotto, 2019 + Kim Longinotto In Conversation at Frontline Club (25 NOV 19:00):
- “Selected at the Berlin and Sundance Film Festivals, this documentary celebrates the ground-breaking and committed work of the free-spirited and charismatic photojournalist Letizia Battaglia. Through interviews, news footage, clips from Italian films and of course some of her extraordinary images, we get a sense of both Battaglia herself and the social landscape of organised crime in Italy.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest might be over for another year, but we’ve started posting a special series of Fringe! Diaries to report from the action.
Fringe!’s next Fling – part of their year-round programme of screenings – is JONATHAN AGASSI SAVED MY LIFE d. Tomer Heymann, 2018 + Q&A with the director (05 DEC 18:20 – Genesis Cinema).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Aphex Twin Lecture by David Stubbs + Screenings at Moth Club (25 NOV 19:00):
- Deeper Into Movies presents: “A deep dive into the world of Aphex Twin (Warp Records) with music writer David Stubbs
presenting a lecture alongside rare screenings. Drawing on numerous interviews Stubbs examines the work, the myth and reality of The Aphex Twin; his Cornish origins and how they feed into his work, his videos with Chris Cunningham, his influence, significance and legacy. The lecture will be followed by rare screenings from the Aphex archive.”
PADRE PADRONE d. Paolo Taviani & Vittorio Taviani, 1977 + Salon with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino at Italian Cultural Institute (25 NOV 19:00 – FREE!):
- “Based on the autobiohraphical work by noted Sardinian linguist Gavino Ledda, the multi awarded film by the Taviani brothers tells the story of the son of a Sardinian shepherd who manages to educate himself, thus escaping a harsh life under the thumb of his violent father.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- GREENER GRASS d. Jocelyn DeBoer & Dawn Luebbe, 2019 at The Prince Charles (25 NOV 12:00).
- LADY BIRD d. Greta Gerwig, 2017 raising funds for Solace Women’s Aid at Genesis Cinema (25 NOV 21:15).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
A HISTORY OF THE AMERICAN MOVIE MUSICAL at Deptford Cinema (21 OCT to 09 DEC):
- ALL THAT JAZZ d. Bob Fosse, 1979 + Short (25 NOV 19:00).
AMERICAN INDEPENDENT: A FOCUS ON SHIRLEY CLARKE at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THE COOL WORLD 35mm d. Shirley Clarke (25 NOV 20:40).
CHRISTMAS AT THE PCC at The Prince Charles (NOV to DEC):
MAURICE PIALET AND THE NEW FRENCH REALISM at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- À NOS AMOURS d. Maurice Pialat, 1983 (25 NOV 20:45).
MUSICALS! THE GREATEST SHOW ON SCREEN at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- HAIRSPRAY d. John Waters, 1988 + Q&A with Ricki Lake, Leanne Jones and Lizzie Bea (25 NOV 18:00).
- Re-releases: TOMMY d. Ken Russell, 1975 (22 NOV to 05 DEC).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Czech Velvet 1989-2019 (01 to 29 NOV).
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 14 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (15 to 30 NOV).
- Russian Film Week (24 NOV to 01 DEC).
- We The Peoples Film Festival (10 to 26 NOV).
HEIMAT IS A SPACE IN TIME d. Thomas Heise, 2019 at ICA (25 NOV – Not showing today/Come back tomorrow!):
- “Shot in black and white and drawing on letters, diaries, and other personal documents, HEIMAT IS A SPACE IN TIME traces the story of German filmmaker Thomas Heise’s family over several generations. Composed of a series of fragmented narratives, the film is a monumental historical essay and moving account of a family torn apart by the upheavals of the 20th century.”
JUDY & PUNCH d. Mirrah Foulkes, 2019 at Rich Mix (25 NOV 18:15 & 20:40):
- “Famous puppeteers Judy (Mia Wasikowska) and her husband Punch (Damon Herriman) live in the town of Seaside. A strange place that is located nowhere near any sort of coastline, the town and its inhabitants are in thrall to a frenzy of witch hunts and superstition. But while the townspeople revel in the drama of the various trials and punishments, Judy and Punch provide welcome distraction with their magical puppet show.”
RETABLO d. Alvaro Delgado Aparicio, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (25 NOV 14:00):
- “High in the remote mountainside of Peru, 14-year-old Segundo is being groomed to follow his father’s footsteps in the traditional folk art of retablo-making — crafting intricate, artisan story-boxes depicting religious scenes and important everyday events. Segundo reveres his father, however the young boy is becoming restless realizing that the weight of carrying the family legacy on his shoulders will keep him on the mountain forever. When he stumbles across a heartbreaking secret his father is harbouring, Segundo will come to face the raw reality of his deeply religious and conservative landscape, as well as a more profound connection with his father than he’d ever imagined.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- THE AMAZING JOHNATHAN DOCUMENTARY d. Ben Berman, 2019 at DocHouse (22 to 28 NOV). HARRIET d. Kasi Lemmons, 2019 at Barbican (22 to 28 NOV). HERE FOR LIFE d. Andrea Luka Zimmerman & Adrian Jackson, 2019 at DocHouse (22 to 27 NOV). THE IRISHMAN d. Martin Scorsese, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 28 NOV). GLORIA BELL d. Sebastián Lelio, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 NOV to 01 DEC). LA BELLE ÉPOQUEd. Nicolas Bedos, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (22 NOV to 16 DEC). MARRIAGE STORY d. Noah Baumbach, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 28 NOV). PERMISSION d. Soheil Beiraghi, 2018 at ICA (22 to 28 NOV). SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE d. Cédric Klapisch, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (until 27 NOV).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.