RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Annual Pittsburgh Lecture: ‘From Animation to Martial Arts’ by Jinying Li + BIG FISH & BEGONIA at Birkbeck Cinema (26 JAN 14:00 – Free!):
- The lecture will explore the historical and aesthetical connections between animation and martial arts cinema. Accompanying the talk will be a screening of BIG FISH & BEGONIA (2016), a film Jinying co-wrote and provides an engaging example of key concepts of her lecture.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- NOW BOOKING: With our friends Supakino and Zodiac Film Club, we are delighted to invite you to the first MIDNIGHT EXCESS: THE STUD/THE BITCH (16 FEB 23:00, Rio Cinema).
- NEW SEASON GUIDES: HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (24 JAN to 21 MAR); JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME at ICA (02 to 10 FEB) & Curzon Soho (21 FEB).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
50th Anniversary Screening: WHERE EAGLES DARE + Q&A with filmmakers at BFI Southbank (26 JAN 19:00 – Currently looks SOLD OUT!):
- ‘Broadsword calling Danny Boy…’ With some great plot twists and outstanding stunts (including the classic cable car scene), WHERE EAGLES DARE is deservedly considered one of the greatest action films of all time.
BROS: AFTER THE SCREAMING STOPS Sing-A-Long at Rio Cinema (26 JAN 23:30).
- In a period of political uncertainty, economic gloom and a fairly joyless festive period, one nugget of comedy cultural gold stood out… See it on the big screen as a shared communal groan-a-long, laugh-a-long, sing-a-long, & wince-a-long for a fully immersive 80’s night.
NEW SALT at House Of Vans (26 JAN 13:00 – Free! No booking required):
- A 60-minute doc written, directed and self-produced by South Korean street photographer Soomin Yim. It documents the journey and spirit of Soomin, a street artist turned sailor, who abandons her life in Seoul to buy a modest sailboat and set out to sail towards the Southern tip of Korea.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI at The Prince Charles (26 JAN 18:15).
- CLIMAX at ICA (26 JAN 20:40).
- GLADIATOR presented by Film & Chill at Renaissance Studios (26 JAN 19:00).
- NICOLAS CAGE TRIPLE FEATURE 35mm at The Prince Charles (26 JAN 23:30).
- ONE NATION, ONE KING aka Un peuple et son roi at Ciné Lumière (26 JAN 20:40).
- ON HER SHOULDERS at Barbican (26 JAN 15:55).
- THE RAFT at ICA (26 JAN 14:05).
- RBG at The Lexi (26 JAN 15:00).
- SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at Regent Street Cinema (26 JAN 13:45, 16:00, 18:15 & 20:30).
- WEST SIDE STORY at Everyman Screen On The Green (26 JAN 23:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
AKIRA KUROSAWA: SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 13 APR):
- SEVEN SAMURAI aka Shichinin no samurai 35mm (26 JAN 14:20).
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- DISNEY PYJAMA PARTY: 2 7 films, 1 ticket (26 JAN 21:00).
- COLD WAR (26 JAN 18:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- DRACULA (1931) (26 JAN 16:10).
DRIFTING SHADOWS: MASTERPIECES OF FINNISH CINEMA at Close-Up (18 to 30 JAN):
- THE VILLAGE SHOEMAKERS 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Stephen Horne (26 JAN 18:30);
- THE DIARY OF A WORKER 35mm (26 JAN 20:30).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- LA LA LAND (26 JAN 15:00 & 17:30).
KIM LONGINOTTO: VIXEN FILMS RETROSPECTIVE at Deptford Cinema (17 to 26 JAN):
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- BLOCK-HEADS 35mm + CHICKENS COME HOME 35mm (26 JAN 15:50).
- THE FLYING DEUCES + TOWED IN A HOLE (26 JAN 18:10).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- L’ECLISSE aka The Eclipse (26 JAN 20:30).
WALT DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (05 JAN to 23 MAR):
- BAMBI (26 JAN 12:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (26 JAN 16:00, 18:15 & 20:40):
- Jane Magnusson’s documentary centres on 1957, a turbulent but miraculously productive year when Bergman, besides unveiling The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and working extensively in theatre and TV, led a messily complicated domestic life that included a spell in hospital.
CAMORRA at DocHouse (26 JAN 18:30):
- A frank and startling insight into the inner mechanics of organised crime in Naples and its rise to political influence. High velocity from start to finish, the film tells the story of how the poor classes of Naples found their own power systems, and how it was authorised by the ruling classes – as long as it benefitted them.
THE DEVIL OUTSIDE at ICA (26 JAN 20:55):
- Four years after his critically-acclaimed debut feature SNOW IN PARADISE, writer/director Andrew Hulme returns with a disquieting examination of faith, repression and madness.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 30 JAN). BEAUTIFUL BOY at Rio Cinema (until 31 JAN). COLD WAR at Whirled Cinema (28 JAN to 03 FEB). COLETTE at Watermans (until 31 JAN). DESTROYER at Rio Cinema (25 to 31 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at ICA (until 31 JAN). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING at ICA (until 31 JAN). MANDY at The Prince Charles (25 JAN to 10 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS at ArtHouse (until 31 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). THE PASSENGER at BFI (until 24 FEB). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at JW3 (27 to 31 JAN). THE RAFT at DocHouse (until 30 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (until 31 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 31 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at Phoenix Cinema (until 31 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at The Prince Charles (until 31 JAN). VICE at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.