RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: VILLAGE ROCKSTARS + Q&A with director Rima Das (26 JUN 18:30, Stratford Picturehouse), part of London Indian Film Festival (21 to 29 JUN): “A charming Indian answer to SING STREET with a heartfelt theme of female empowerment and self-actualization.” – Variety.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HERE’S HEALTH: THE NHS ON FILM + DISCUSSION at BFI Southbank (26 JUN 18:30 – Sold Out!):
- Marking the 70th anniversary of the National Health Service, this event digs deep into the richly fascinating story of our NHS on screen. This compilation of rare works from the BFI National Archive covers drama, documentary and public information films.
LIFE IS WONDERFUL + Q&A with director Nick Stadlen at DocHouse (26 JUN 18:30):
- The story behind Nelson Mandela’s Rivonia Trial and his comrades and lawyers who fought with relentless bravery and brilliance for equality against apartheid South Africa.
SAVING BRINTON + Q&A with directors Tommy Haines, Andrew Sherburne and protagonist Mike Zahs at ICA (26 JUN 18:30):
- London Premiere: In 1981, Mike Zahs stumbled into three truckloads of cardboard boxes labelled ‘Brinton Crap’, containing an invaluable collection of film history paraphernalia. The collection formerly belonged to local Washington, Iowa couple, Frank and Indiana Brinton, who travelled from Texas to Minnesota at the turn of the century, bringing silent films, magic lantern slides and related entertainment to small town America for the first time.
THE WORKERS CUP + PANEL at Frontline Club (26 JUN 19:00):
- Inside the labour camps of Qatar, African and Asian migrant workers building the facilities of the 2022 World Cup compete in a football tournament of their own: The Workers Cup.
More films in London today (A – Z): ALIENS at Backyard Cinema (26 JUN 20:30). Artists’ Film Club: Toshio Matsumoto – Part One: FUNERAL PARADE OF ROSES & Part Two: FOR THE DAMAGED RIGHT EYE short films at ICA (26 JUN 20:45 & 27 JUN 18:45). BEN OKRI DOUBLE BILLincluding a screening of N: THE MADNESS OF REASON at Regent Street Cinema (26 JUN 19:30). BEST IN SHOW 35mm (26 JUN 18:45). THE BREADWINNER at Lexi Cinema (26 JUN 18:30). DIRTY DANCING at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (26 JUN 21:00 – Sold Out!). GILDA at BFI (26 JUN 20:45). OUR NEW PRESIDENT at ICA (26 JUN 17:00). SEGRETI SEGRETI aka Secrets Secrets + SALON by Nick Walker of Rochester Kino at the Italian Cultural Institute (26 JUN 19:00 – Free!). SPACE JAMat Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (26 JUN 21:00). STRONGER THAN A BULLET at DocHouse (26 JUN 18:30). SUPERMAN II screened in tribute to Margot Kidder by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (26 JUN 20:00). WHEN A WOMAN ASCENDS THE STAIRS aka Onna Ga Kaidan Wo Agaru Toki 35mm at The Prince Charles (26 JUN 20:45).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN 70mm (26 JUN 21:00).
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- JANE B. FOR AGNÈS V. (26 JUN 20:10).
CLOSE-UP ON MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI at Close-Up (01 to 30 JUN):
- L’ECLISSE (26 JUN 19:30).
HER NAME IS… at Genesis Cinema (14 to 30 JUN):
- KIKA presented by Fringe! Flings (26 JUN 18:30).
IDA LUPINO: ACTOR, DIRECTOR, WRITER, PRODUCER, STAR at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS 35mm (26 JUN 20:30).
WOMEN SHAPING THE WORLD at Ciné Lumière (until 26 JUN):
- SIMONE VEIL, UNE HISTOIRE FRANÇAISE + DISCUSSION (26 JUN 20:10).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
London Indian Film Festival (21 to 29 JUN):
- UMA (26 JUN 18:30, Cineworld Leicester Square).
- VILLAGE ROCKSTARS + Q&A (26 JUN 18:30, Stratford Picturehouse).
- BIRD OF DUSK + Q&A (26 JUN 20:00, Watermans).
- WHAT WILL PEOPLE SAY (26 JUN 20:30, Barbican).
Queer Asia Film Festival (24 to 29 JUN):
- Next screening 27 JUN.
ARCADIA at BFI Southbank (26 JUN 14:30 & 18:20):
- A compelling folk horror/archive film with a score by members of Portishead and Goldfrapp.
THE MILK SYSTEM at DocHouse (26 JUN 20:30):
- The entrepreneurship of the European farmer and their limited economic rights are the driving forces behind this new doc that delves deep into the dairy industry, which has become a global issue on a large scale.
THE WILD BOYS at Ciné Lumière (26 JUN 18:00):
- An erotically uninhibited adaptation from William S. Burroughs’ apocalyptic beat novel about a group of entitled boys – all played by women – cast away from their school on the island of La Réunion for committing a sadistic crime on a female teacher.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 120 BPM at Whirled Cinema (25 Jun to 01 JUL). BOOM FOR REAL at Barbican (22 to 28 JUN). THE BOY DOWNSTAIRS at JW3 (24 to 28 JUN). FREAK SHOW at Rio Cinema (22 to 28 JUN). HEREDITARY at The Castle Cinema (22 to 28 JUN). IN THE FADE at ArtHouse Crouch End (22 to 28 JUN). MCQUEEN at Lexi Cinema (22 to 25 JUN). PHANTOM THREAD at Watermans (22 to 28 JUN). STANLEY A MAN OF VARIETY at Picturehouse Central (22 to 28 JUN). STUDIO 54 at ICA (22 to 28 JUN). THAT SUMMER at Watermans (22 to 28 JUN). TRANNY FAG at ICA (22 to 26 JUN). YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at The Prince Charles (22, 25, 27 & 28 JUN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.