RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SHOAH: Holocaust Memorial Day at Close-Up (27 JAN 11:00 – SOLD OUT):
- To mark Holocaust Memorial Day, Close-Up presents a commemorative screening of Claude Lanzmann’s nine-hour opus SHOAH. Using no archival footage, Lanzmann instead focuses on first-person testimonies, employing a circular, free-associative method in assembling them.
You can also mark Holocaust Memorial Day with a 25th Anniversary Screening of SCHINDLER’S LIST (various times/venues listed below).
New at RADIANT CIRCUS:
- NOW BOOKING: With our friends Supakino and Zodiac Film Club, we are delighted to invite you to the first MIDNIGHT EXCESS: THE STUD/THE BITCH (16 FEB 23:00, Rio Cinema).
- NEW SEASON guides: HORROR SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (24 JAN to 21 MAR); JAPAN FOUNDATION TOURING FILM PROGRAMME at ICA (02 to 10 FEB) & Curzon Soho (21 FEB).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Australia Day Double Bill: THE FLIP SIDE + INTRO by Eddie Izzard + SHORTS at Regent Street Cinema (27 JAN 14:00):
- The London Australian Film Society presents: European premiere of new feature THE FLIP SIDE supported by a programme of short films curated by the New York group, Australian Short Film Today. Complimentary drinks reception between the two screenings.
NEVER CEDED at Redon (27 JAN 18:00):
- The People’s Film Club presents: A celebration of Indigenous resistance in Australia featuring Warwick Thornton’s incredible film WE DON’T NEED A MAP, a doc exploring the history of the Southern Cross constellation as a symbol of both indigenous culture and racist nationalism in Australia.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BLACK’ 47 at Whirled Cinema (27 JAN 18:00).
- BLACKkKLANSMAN presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (27 JAN 19:30 – Free!).
- THE COLOUR OF POMEGRANATES + VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS presented by Deeper Into Movies at Five Bells (27 JAN 15:00).
- FREE SOLO at ICA (27 JAN 12:25).
- KHRUSTALYOV, MY CAR! at JW3 (27 JAN 13:00).
- NINA at ICA (27 JAN 16:00).
- ONE NATION, ONE KING aka Un peuple et son roi at Ciné Lumière (27 JAN 18:20).
- ON HER SHOULDERS at Barbican (27 JAN 15:55).
- RBG at DocHouse (27 JAN 20:00).
- SCHINDLER’S LIST – 25TH ANNIVERSARY at Picturehouse Central (27 JAN 14:15 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- SCHINDLER’S LIST – 25TH ANNIVERSARY at Phoenix Cinema (27 JAN 16:15).
- SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at Regent Street Cinema (27 JAN 18:15 & 20:25).
- Spanish Classic Horror: THE HUNCHBACK OF THE MORGUE (1973) + THE TRAVELLER (1979) presented by World Wide Weird! at Helgi’s (27 JAN 14:30).
- SUSPIRIA (2018) at The Prince Charles (27 JAN 20:30).
- THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at DocHouse (27 JAN 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- 2001 : A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm (27 JAN 17:25).
BEFORE THE NIGHT at Ciné Lumière (22 JAN to 30 JAN):
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT at BFI Southbank (03 to 31 JAN):
- THE INNOCENTS (27 JAN 20:05).
CHINESE NEW YEAR at BFI Southbank (21 to 31 JAN):
- Filming East Shorts Award Show + Q&A (27 JAN 12:50).
- SUSU + Q&A with director Yixi Sun & producer Norman J Warren (27 JAN 15:15 – SOLD OUT!).
FEELGOOD FILMS at House Of Vans (25 JAN to 17 FEB – FREE! No booking required):
- UP (27 JAN 14:00 & 16:00).
INGMAR BERGMAN FOCUS at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället (27 JAN 15:30).
LAUREL AND HARDY at BFI Southbank (JAN):
- SAPS AT SEA + THE CHIMP (27 JAN 18:15).
MICHELANGELO ANTONIONI: CONFRONTING THE MODERN WORLD WITH STYLE at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (until 26 MAY):
- PRIMER + SHORT: WHEN DID TIME TRAVEL COME FROM? (27 JAN 15:30).
WE LOVE GILDA! at Phoenix Cinema (06 JAN to 24 FEB):
- HANKY PANKY 35mm + INTRO by Rebecca Nicole Williams (27 JAN 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today…
BERGMAN: A YEAR IN A LIFE at BFI Southbank (27 JAN 15:10, 17:45 & 20:10):
- Jane Magnusson’s documentary centres on 1957, a turbulent but miraculously productive year when Bergman, besides unveiling The Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries and working extensively in theatre and TV, led a messily complicated domestic life that included a spell in hospital.
CAMORRA at DocHouse (27 JAN 16:00):
- A frank and startling insight into the inner mechanics of organised crime in Naples and its rise to political influence. High velocity from start to finish, the film tells the story of how the poor classes of Naples found their own power systems, and how it was authorised by the ruling classes – as long as it benefitted them.
THE DEVIL OUTSIDE at ICA (27 JAN 20:55):
- Four years after his critically-acclaimed debut feature SNOW IN PARADISE, writer/director Andrew Hulme returns with a disquieting examination of faith, repression and madness.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A STAR IS BORN at The Prince Charles (until 30 JAN). BEAUTIFUL BOY at Rio Cinema (until 31 JAN). COLD WAR at Whirled Cinema (28 JAN to 03 FEB). COLETTE at Watermans (until 31 JAN). DESTROYER at Rio Cinema (25 to 31 JAN). THE FAVOURITE at ICA (until 31 JAN). HALE COUNTY THIS MORNING, THIS EVENING at ICA (until 31 JAN). MANDY at The Prince Charles (25 JAN to 10 FEB). MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS at ArtHouse (until 31 JAN). ONE CUT OF THE DEAD at The Prince Charles (until 08 FEB). THE PASSENGER at BFI (until 24 FEB). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at JW3 (27 to 31 JAN). THE RAFT at DocHouse (until 30 JAN). SHOPLIFTERS at ICA (until 31 JAN). SORRY TO BOTHER YOU at The Prince Charles (until 31 JAN). STAN & OLLIE at Phoenix Cinema (until 31 JAN). THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS at The Prince Charles (until 31 JAN). VICE at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 JAN).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.