RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
SHOAH d. Claude Lanzmann, 1985 + Intro/Discussion with Toby Haggith, Imperial War Museum at Goethe-Institut (27 JAN 09:45. Screening in 4 parts: 09:45 – 12:20 / 12:35 – 14:35 / 15:05 – 17:45 / 18:00 – 20:25 / Discussion 20:35 – 21:30 – FREE!):
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day Screening: “Marking the 75th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp Auschwitz-Birkenau by the Red Army on 27 of January 1945, we will be screening, Claude Lanzmann’s SHOAH. By doing so, we will join many organisations and institutions worldwide in remembering the victims of the Holocaust and keeping the memory of the genocide of the Jews alive to prevent from it ever happening again.”
- SHOAH also screens in full at Close-up (02 FEB).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
One of our highlights of this early part of the screen year is Japan Foundation’s Touring Film Programme at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
INFERNO MITTELBAU DORA d. Mary Mirka Milo, 2016 at Italian Cultural Institute (27 JAN 18:30 – FREE!):
- International Holocaust Remembrance Day Screening: “Mittelbau Dora was the last and most ruthless concentration camp built by the Nazis. The prisoners worked tirelessly in its underground tunnels to produce V2 missiles, the secret weapon that should have annihilated the enemies of the Third Reich. The exceptional testimonies of the survivors reveal the incredible story of this unique forced labour camp.”
- “Stories about islands punctuate the careers of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, from Powell’s breakthrough with EDGE OF THE WORLD (1936) to the Hebridean journey of I KNOW WHERE I’M GOING! (1945). What can we learn about the imagination of these very different figures by tracing this motif?”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANNE FRANK: PARALLEL STORIES d. Sabina Fedeli & Anna Migotto, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (27 JAN 18:15).
- ANNE FRANK: PARALLEL STORIES d. Sabina Fedeli & Anna Migotto, 2019 at Picturehouse Bromley (27 JAN 18:15 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE BIRDCATCHER d. Ross Clarke, 2019 at The David Lean (27 JAN 19:30).
- Emerging Filmmakers – Adventure Film Night at The Roebuck (27 JAN 20:00 – FREE!).
- EVENT HORIZON 35mm d. Paul W.S. Anderson, 1997 at The Prince Charles (27 JAN 18:15).
- JEWISH BRITAIN ON FILM d. Jon Spira, 2019 at JW3 (27 JAN 15:00 & 16:20).
- THE KINGMAKER d. Lauren Greenfield, 2019 at DocHouse (27 JAN 16:30).
- THE KINGMAKER d. Lauren Greenfield, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (27 JAN 20:30).
- THE LIGHTHOUSE d. Robert Eggers, 2019 preview at BFI Southbank (27 JAN 20:40).
- MCQUEEN d. Ian Bonhôte & Peter Ettedgui, 2018 at TT Liquor (27 JAN 18:30).
- POSSUM d. Matthew Holness, 2018 + The director in conversation at The Prince Charles (27 JAN 20:30).
- RONNIE WOOD: SOMEBODY UP THERE LIKES ME d. Mike Figgis, 2019 at Regent Street Cinema (27 JAN 18:30).
- SPARKLE d. Salim Akil, 2012 + Sing-A-Long presented by TNB at House Of Rainbow (27 JAN 19:00).
- WAY MY IT DID I d. Maria Anastassiou + Q&A with the director at Queen Mary University of London (27 JAN 17:00 – FREE!).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (24 to 30 JAN).
A WORM’S TAIL VIEW IS OFTEN THE TRUE ONE: FILMS BY PERE PORTABELLA at Close-Up & BFI Southbank (26 NOV 2019 to 15 FEB 2020):
- IN THE SAME BOAT d. Rudy Gnutti, 2016 (27 JAN 20:15).
BEFORE THE NIGHT at Ciné Lumière (24 to 29 JAN):
- BECOMING ANIMAL d. Emma Davie & Peter Mettler, 2018 (27 JAN 18:40).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (DEC to JAN):
- THE ASPHALT JUNGLE d. John Huston, 1950 (27 JAN 18:10).
FELLINI at BFI Southbank (JAN to FEB):
- Walkers & Wanderers: NIGHTS OF CABIRIA 4K aka Le Notti di Cabiria d. Federico Fellini, 1957 (27 JAN 18:00).
- Society & Spectacle: GINGER & FRED 4K aka Ginger e Fred d. Federico Fellini, 1986 (27 JAN 20:35).
THE SAFDIE BROTHERS at The Prince Charles (JAN):
- UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 (until 30 JAN).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We didn’t find any film festivals in London today… what are we missing?
CHINA LOVE d. Olivia Martin-McGuire, 2018 at DocHouse (27 JAN 18:30):
- “Love is an $80 billion industry in China. It’s not just the wedding itself that brings in the money – a booming trade in pre-wedding photography places the burden on couples to spend thousands on elaborately staged photos depicting lives of luxury.”
CYRANO DE BERGERAC d. Jean-Paul Rappeneau, 1990 at BFI Southbank (27 JAN 14:30, 18:00 & 20:20):
- “The story of Cyrano de Bergerac has existed in many forms over several centuries but Rappeneau’s adaptation (now celebrating its 30th anniversary) is a delightful, tragi-comic tour de force with Gérard Depardieu’s Cyrano offering romantic tips to young Christian, a suitor with designs on Roxanne, whom Cyrano himself is keen to woo.”
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at Rio Cinema (27 JAN 15:15).
- “Hypnotising, unsettling, transgressive, dazzling and decadent, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN also takes satirical bites into a corrupt, greed-fuelled world with attacks on religion, consumerism, fascism, and authority in general. So not just a nostalgia trip then…”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 30 JAN). AKIRA 35mm d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at ICA (26 to 31 JAN). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 30 JAN). BRIGHTBURN d. David Yarovesky, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (27 JAN to 02 FEB). BUTTERFLY at DocHouse (24 to 30 JAN). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 JAN). LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT d. Bi Gan, 2018 at ICA (until 30 JAN). MIDNIGHT TRAVELER d. Hassan Fazili, 2019 at DocHouse (until 28 JAN). MY POLISH HONEYMOON d. Élise Otzenberger, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (26 to 30 JAN). PRESENT. PERFECT d. Zhu Shengze, 2019 at ICA (24 to 30 JAN). PINK WALL d. Tom Cullen, 2019 at Watermans (24 to 29 JAN). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 30 JAN). WEATHERING WITH YOU d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at ICA (until 29 JAN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.