SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 27.07.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL 18:30):
- UK Premiere: “In tribute to the late Brazilian musician João Gilberto, whose bossa nova sound revolutionised popular music worldwide in the 1960s, the ICA presents Where are you, João Gilberto?. Documentarian Georges Gachot follows in the footsteps of the German writer Marc Fischer, whose 2012 book Hobalala traces Fischer’s obsessive, but ultimately fruitless search for the famously hermitic musician.”
- Enjoys a grind show run at the same venue (until 01 AUG).
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
London’s favourite, Genesis Cinema (results of the recent Time Out 25 Best Cinemas where they polled first!) celebrates two modern auteurs with mini seasons wrapped around their latest releases: Tarantino x Almodóvar (AUG 2019).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE LION KING d. Jon Favreau, 2019 + Afterparty with Black Femme Film at Genesis Cinema (27 JUL 20:15):
- “Black Femme Film, the independently run film club for black/mixed women is back with another event! We have partnered with the award winning Genesis Cinema to give you a night to remember. We are screening Disney’s live action LION KING remake, which features a star studded cast including our fave, Beyonce. In good Black Femme Film fashion, we will be having an afterparty at Genesis’ Bar Paragon so get ready to let your hair down.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2018 at Regent Street Cinema (27 JUL 14:30, 16:30, 18:30 & 20:30).
- HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS d. Joe Johnston, 1989 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 13:00).
- LABYRINTH d. Jim Henson, 1986 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 15:30).
- LISBON BEAT d. Rita Maia & Vasco Viana, 2019 (27 JUL 14:20).
- ROCKETMAN SING-A-LONG d. Dexter Fletcher, 2019 at The Prince Charles (27 JUL 17:30).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Barbican Cinema (27 JUL 15:50).
- THE WOOD d. Rick Famuyiwa, 1999 + Party presented by Real Hustle Events at Hackney Picturehouse (27 JUL 18:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- THE ULTIMATE HARRY POTTER MARATHON 8 Films, 1 Ticket (27 JUL 20:30).
- THE ARROW VIDEO GLORIOUS GORE-A-THON 6 Arrow Films, 1 Ticket (27 JUL 21:00 – Currently looking SOLD OUT!).
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- MARY POPPINS RETURNS (27 JUL 12:30).
- AQUAMAN (27 JUL 16:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: OBSESSIONS at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- POINT BLANK 35mm d. John Boorman, 1967 (27 JUL 20:40).
CLOSE-UP ON CLAIRE DENIS at Close-Up (08 to 31 JUL):
- I CAN’T SLEEP 35mm d. Claire Denis, 1994 (27 JUL 20:00).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- DAGUERRÉOTYPES d. Agnès Varda, 1976 (27 JUL 16:10).
LEAFF OPEN AIR SCREENINGS at Leicester Square Gardens (27 to 28 JUL – FREE!):
- PORORO’S TREASURE ISLAND ADVENTURE, 2019 (27 JUL 12:00).
- CRACKED EGGS & NOODLES, 2005 (27 JUL 14:00).
- A BAREFOOT DREAM, 2010 (27 JUL 16:00).
MOVIES ON THE RIVER departing from Tower Millennium Pier (until 03 AUG):
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY (27 JUL 20:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- Grrrls to the Front: An Evening of Riot Grrrl Films (27 JUL 18:20).
- FESTEN 35mm d. Thomas Vinterberg, 1998 (27 JUL 20:50).
QUEER SQUEE at various venues (30 JUN to 27 JUL):
- Judy Judy Judy Double Bill: THE SLIPPERS d. Morgan White, 2016 + THE HARVEY GIRLS d. George Sidney, 1946 at The Cinema Museum (27 JUL 16:00).
SALON MEXICO: THE GOLDEN AGE OF MEXICAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- ENAMORADA d. Emilio Fernández, 1946 (27 JUL 16:00).
SUMMER EXPLORERS 2019: MANGA COMES TO LIFE at the British Library (27 to 28 JUL – CANCELLED!):
- Day One Pass.
- INOUYASHIKI d. Shinsuke Sato, 2018 (27 JUL 12:00).
- SETO & UTSUMI d. Tatsushi Ohmori, 2016 (27 JUL 15:00).
- TEIICHI: Battle of Supreme High d. Akira Nagai, 2017 (27 JUL 16:45).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (27 JUL 14:30).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- CASA Festival of Latin American Arts (16 to 27 JUL).
- Floating Film Festival (16 to 28 JUL).
- London Film & Comic Con (26 to 28 JUL).
- Rainbow Film Festival (21 to 28 JUL).
- Watford Short Film Festival (27 to 28 JUL).
THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL 16:15):
- “Set in a luxury high-rise hotel in Mexico City, Lila Avilés’ quietly compelling debut follows the routinised existence of Eve, an enterprising young hotel worker. With nuanced direction and a spare script bolstered by Gabriela Cartol’s breakthrough performance, THE CHAMBERMAID offers wry observations about class, privilege and exploitation as it sensitively depicts Eve’s day to day life.”
MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (27 JUL 15:15 & 21:15):
- “A beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.”
ON THE INSIDE OF A MILITARY DICTATORSHIP d. Karen Stokkendal Poulsen, 2019 at DocHouse (27 JUL 16:20):
- “After 50 years of military dictatorial rule in Myanmar, the military generals began to realise something needed to change for sanctions to be lifted. Following the release of Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi at the end of 2010, the military installed a so-called civilian democracy, including putting Aung San Suu Kyi onto the political stage, who in turn made a dangerous pact with her opponents.”
- Q&A with the director (26 JUL) – listed above.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 01 AUG). ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Hackney (26 JUL to 01 AUG). ARMSTRONG d. David Fairhead, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). THE CURRENT WAR d. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017 at Phoenix Cinema (26 JUL to 01 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 31 JUL). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (29 JUL to 04 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 31 JUL). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 01 AUG). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Watermans (26 JUL to 01 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 30 JUL). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). TEL AVIV ON FIRE d. Sameh Zoabi, 2018 at JW3 (until 28 JUL). VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL to 01 AUG – UK Premiere 27 JUL listed above).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.