RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: PINK FLAMINGOS 35mm + INTRO/SALON with Nick Walker at Genesis Cinema (27 SEP 18:40): “PINK FLAMINGOS appeals to that part of our psyches in which we are horny teenagers at the county fair with fresh dollar bills in our pockets, and a desire to see the geek show with a bunch of buddies, so that we can brag about it at school on Monday.” – Roger Ebert.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
Double Bill: Reber Dosky inc RADIO KOBANI + SHORT: MERYEM at CentrE17 (27 SEP 19:00):
- Last Frame Club presents two docs by acclaimed filmmaker Reber Dosky. RADIO KOBANI: Out of the smoke and dust of battle came Radio Kobanî, the brainchild of 20-year-old Dilovan. A young Kurdish woman, Dilovan took it upon herself to document the final days of IS control, and the stories of refugees returning to their flattened homes.
Kihlberg & Henry: Speaking Buildings + Q&A with the artists at Whitechapel Gallery (27 SEP 19:00):
- Featuring the London premiere of their provocative new commission Slow Violence, this presentation of five short works by the artist filmmaker duo Kihlberg & Henry explores their visually striking, intellectually rigorous, cross-disciplinary practice.
PINK FLAMINGOS 35mm + INTRO/SALON with Nick Walker at Genesis Cinema (27 SEP 18:40):
- Nick Walker of Rochester Kino returns with John Water’s irreverent PINK FLAMINGOS in a delicious 35mm presentation. The screening will be introduced by Nick and will be followed by a salon discussion upstairs at the bar where you will have a chance to discuss this great film with fellow fans and first-time viewers!
More films in London today (A – Z):
- COLD WAR at The David Lean (27 SEP 14:30 & 19:30).
- GRAVITY presented by Sydenham Film Club at The Sydenham Centre (27 SEP 19:30).
- MILES AHEAD presented by The Bigger Picture at The Ivyhouse (27 SEP 20:00).
- THE SHINING at BFI (27 SEP 18:10).
- THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 35mm at BFI (27 SEP 20:45).
- THIRTEEN 35mmat Prince Charles (27 SEP 18:40).
- THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (27 SEP 19:15).
- THE TRIBE presented by The Lighthouse at The White House (27 SEP 19:00 – Free!).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE 70mm (27 SEP 20:45).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (until OCT):
- AUTUMN LEAVES (27 SEP 18:30).
GENERATIONS: RUSSIAN CINEMA OF CHANGE at Barbican (26 to 30 SEP):
- THE STUDENT + INTRO (27 SEP 19:45).
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- LUCKY (27 SEP 18:40 & 20:50).
NORA GREGOR & ANTON WALBROOK SEASON at Austrian Cultural Forum (27 SEP to 23 OCT):
- GASLIGHT + INTRO (27 SEP 19:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (15 to 30 SEP).
- London Spanish Film Festival (26 to 30 SEP).
- Raindance Film Festival (26 SEP to 07 OCT).
- Scalarama (SEP).
CLIMAX at Genesis Cinema (27 SEP 21:10):
- Following a successful and visually dazzling rehearsal, a dance troupe celebrates with a party. But when it becomes apparent that someone has spiked the Sangria, the dancers soon begin to turn on each other in an orgiastic frenzy.
MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. at ArtHouse Crouch End (27 SEP 13:00, 15:30, 18:00 & 20:25):
- Drawn from a cache of personal video recordings from the past 22 years, director Steve Loveridge’s Sundance award-winning MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. is a startlingly personal profile of the critically acclaimed artist, chronicling her remarkable journey from refugee immigrant to pop star.
- Also at DocHouse (21 to 27 SEP).
FACES PLACES at Ciné Lumière (27 SEP 16:00):
- What connects Agnès Varda, living legend of cinema and feminism, to JR, young photographer who stood out of the crowd with his open-air galleries? A common passion for images, and more particularly, the places where they are showed, shared, exposed.
More films in London this week (A – Z): BLACKkKLANSMAN at Barbican (21 to 26 SEP). COLD WAR at The Castle (21 to 26 SEP). GENERATION WEALTH at The Montpelier (16 to 26 SEP). THE GODFATHER at BFI (21 to 08 OCT). HEATHERS at Prince Charles (22 to 27 SEP). LET THE SUNSHINE IN at Whirled Cinema (24 to 30 SEP). THE LITTLE STRANGER at Barbican (21 to 27 SEP). LUCKY at ArtHouse (21 to 27 SEP). THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at Prince Charles (21 to 27 SEP). PUZZLE at Watermans (21 to 27 SEP). QUINCY at ICA (21 to 27 SEP). REINVENTING MARVIN at Ciné Lumière (14 to 27 SEP). THE RIDER at Institute Of Light (21 to 27 SEP). WAJIB at ICA (21 to 27 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.