SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 27.11.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: UK Premiere – DEAD SOULS: PART ONE + INTRO by Wang Bing at ICA (27 NOV 18:30): In Gansu Province, northwest China, lie the remains of countless prisoners abandoned in the Gobi Desert 60 years ago, victims of the Communist Party’s Anti-Rightist Campaign of 1957. DEAD SOULS screens in two parts of 249 minutes each, over two consecutive days (27 to 28 NOV). One ticket is valid for both screenings.
New at RADIANT CIRCUS: In our continuing series of interviews with London’s independent curators, Anna de Guia-Eriksson talks Filikino, a programme of classic and contemporary Philippine cinema, the Philippine film industry and recent audience responses to ALIPATO by Khavn De La Cruz at Genesis Cinema. Read our interview HERE, then book for the next film in the series, TODO TODO TEROS at Genesis Cinema (05 DEC 18:30).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
DEAD SOULS: PART ONE + INTRO by Wang Bing at ICA (27 NOV 18:30):
- UK Premiere: In Gansu Province, northwest China, lie the remains of countless prisoners abandoned in the Gobi Desert 60 years ago, victims of the Communist Party’s Anti-Rightist Campaign of 1957. DEAD SOULS is the third chapter of an in-depth inquiry into how the Party dealt with ideological dissent.
- DEAD SOULS screens in two parts of 249 minutes each, over two consecutive days (27 to 28 NOV). One ticket is valid for both screenings.
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925) + THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921) + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT by Meg Morley at The 1901 Arts Club (27 NOV 19:30):
- Immortalised as ‘the man of a thousand faces’, Lon Chaney Sr. was one of the giants of silent cinema, combining an intense acting style with ground-breaking make-up techniques to deliver a series of powerhouse performances. He is now perhaps best remembered for his horror roles, with one of the most famous being THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925).
THREE IDENTICAL STRANGERS + Q&A with director Tim Wardle, producer Becky Read & exec. producer Tom Barry at Peckhamplex (27 NOV 20:30):
- New York, 1980: three complete strangers accidentally discover that they are identical triplets, separated at birth. The 19-year-olds’ joyous reunion catapults them to international fame, but it also unlocks an extraordinary and disturbing secret that goes beyond their own lives – and could transform our understanding of human nature forever.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- THE 400 BLOWS 16mm + INTRO at The Castle Cinema (27 NOV 18:45 – Sold Out!).
- THE CANTERBURY TALES + SALON with Nick Walker at Italian Cultural Cinstutute (27 NOV 19:00 – Free! Currently sold out but you might get in…).
- COLUMBUS at The David Lean (27 NOV 19:30).
- DISOBEDIENCE at Picturehouse Central (27 NOV 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- GARRY WINOGRAND: ALL THINGS ARE PHOTOGRAPHABLE at DocHouse (27 NOV 18:30).
- IN BETWEEN presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (27 NOV 20:00).
- IN THE FADE presented by Wimbledon Film Club at Curzon HMV (27 NOV 20:30).
- THE LAST WALTZ presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (27 NOV 20:00).
- THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Barbican (27 NOV 18:15).
- RALP BREAKS THE INTERNET previews at BFI (27 NOV 20:30).
- TANNA + Q&A presented by Origins Festival at National Maritime Museum (27 NOV 19:00).
- THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (27 NOV 15:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Sebastián Lelio in Conversation (27 NOV 18:20).
- 12 Stars: Sebastián Lelio on WINGS OF DESIRE (27 NOV 20:20).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- 9 TO 5 (27 NOV 14:30 & 20:45).
- Jo Brand: The Unvarnished Truth (27 NOV 18:30).
MAGNIFICENT OBSESSIONS: THE FILMS OF ROSS HUNTER at The Cinema Museum (08 NOV to 20 DEC):
- PILLOW TALK (27 NOV 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- French Film Festival (07 NOV to 09 DEC).
- London Palestine Film Festival (16 to 28 NOV).
- Russian Film Week (25 NOV to 02 DEC).
- Utopia: 9th Portuguese Film Festival (30 OCT to 29 NOV).
NAE PASARAN! at ArtHouse (27 NOV 18:00):
- Felipe Bustos Sierra’s feature charts the incredible true story of the Scots who managed to ground half of Chile’s Air Force, from the other side of the world, in the longest single act of solidarity against Pinochet’s brutal dictatorship.
ORIONE at ICA (27 NOV 17:30):
- Alejandro ‘Ale’ Robles was a gang member betrayed by a friend and killed by police. Through a series of engaging and sometimes uneasily juxtaposed fragments, director Toia Bonino evokes different aspects of his life.
POSTCARDS FROM LONDON at ICA (27 NOV 15:40):
- Newly arrived in London from Essex, Jim is broke, jobless and calling an intricately made cardboard box home when he catches the eye of four male escorts who specialise in erudite post-coital conversation.
SHOPLIFTERS at Ciné Lumière (27 NOV 20:40):
- Winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes 2018, Hirokazu Kore-eda’s (NOBODY KNOWS) latest film SHOPLIFTERS is a profoundly moving drama about a poverty-stricken family petty thieving to make ends meet, when they come across a shivering little girl foraging for scraps in the cold winter night.
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOSTASY at Whirled Cinema (26 NOV to 02 DEC). BACK TO BERLIN at JW3 (25 to 29 NOV). THE JUDGE at DocHouse (23 to 29 NOV). MANDY at The Prince Charles (until 02 DEC). THE PRICE OF EVERYTHING at Ciné Lumière (23 to 30 NOV). RAMS at Barbican (23 to 29 NOV). WIDOWS at Watermans Arts Centre (23 to 29 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUPPORT our work at RADIANT CIRCUS and help promote indie cinema in London. As a Patron, you will get our unique SCREEN GUIDES delivered directly to your inbox, exclusive discounts for screen events and much more!
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.