RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: GRABBING PUSSY: BANK HOL BRUNCH WITH KAREN FINLEY at Rio Cinema (28 MAY 12:00). Book launch, film screening – Finley & Bruce Yonemoto’s FAR EAST OF EDEN – and conversation with Karen Finley. Part of Femmetopia.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE CAMERAMAN + LIVE ORGAN ACCOMPANIMENT by Donald Mackenzie at Regent Street Cinema (28 MAY 19:30):
- Buster Keaton stars as a hapless fool who attempts to become a motion picture cameraman in order to get closer to the woman he desires. Plus short ONE WEEK.
GRABBING PUSSY: BANK HOL BRUNCH WITH KAREN FINLEY at Rio Cinema (28 MAY 12:00):
- Book launch, film screening and conversation with Karen Finley. The film FAR EAST OF EDEN, a short film created by Karen Finley and director Bruce Yonemoto, overlaps the historical white-supremacist anti-immigration politician James D. Phelan with the contemporary vitriol of Donald Trump. Part of Femmetopia.
HALF WAY + PANEL with director Daisy-May Hudson at The Institute Of Light (28 MAY 19:45):
- The People’s Film Club presents a moving portrait of the UK housing crisis, told through the experience of one family. Filmed over a year, Daisy-May Hudson (BAFTA Breakthrough Brit) is both director and daughter as her family fights to retain their dignity whilst they wait to be rehoused. All proceeds to Streets Kitchen.
More films in London today (A – Z): ALL THAT HEAVEN ALLOWS at BFI (28 MAY 13:15). THE ILLUSIONIST 35mm at The Prince Charles (28 MAY 18:15 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening). PHANTOM THREAD 70mm at The Prince Charles (28 MAY 20:15). POINT BLANK 35mm at BFI (28 MAY 20:30). THE RED COLLAR at Ciné Lumière (28 MAY 18:15). SIMPSONS BANK HOLIDAY ALL-DAYER VOL. 2 at Genesis Cinema (28 MAY 12:00 – Free!). SOME LIKE IT HOT at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (28 MAY 21:00). SPACE JAM at Backyard Cinema (28 MAY 12:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE-UP ON PIER PAOLO PASOLINI at Close-Up (03 to 29 MAY):
- SALÒ, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM (28 MAY 19:30).
JACQUES TATI Selectrospective at The Prince Charles (07 to 28 MAY):
- THE ILLUSIONIST 35mm (28 MAY 18:15).
LUCRECIA MARTEL RETROSPECTIVE at ICA & BFI Southbank (20 to 27 MAY):
- ZAMA (28 MAY 15:00, 17:30 & 20:00, BFI).
UPRISING: THE SPIRIT OF ’68 at BFI Southbank (until 29 MAY):
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- THE RED TURTLE (28 MAY 20:00, Herne Hill Baptist Church – Free!).
Everyman Music Film Festival (07 to 31 MAY)
- Next screening: UNDER THE SKIN + LIVE SCORE (31 MAY 19:00, Everyman Muswell Hill).
Romford Film Festival (24 to 28 MAY)
- ALONE (28 MAY 10:00, Premiere Cinemas Romford).
- SHORT FILM SHOWCASE (28 MAY 10:00, Premiere Cinemas Romford).
- CUBA, LIBRE? (28 MAY 14:00, Premiere Cinemas Romford).
- DOGGED (28 MAY 17:00, Premiere Cinemas Romford).
- THE AWARDS (28 MAY 19:00, Premiere Cinemas Romford).
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at Picturehouse Central (28 MAY 14:30 & 18:00):
- For the first time since the original release, this 70mm print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative. This is a true photochemical film recreation, with no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits, that is showing exclusively at Picturehouse cinemas. This screening will have a 15 minute interval.
THE BREADWINNER at Rich Mix (28 MAY 15:45 & 20:50):
- When 11-year-old Parvana’s father is taken by the Taliban, she and her family find life difficult without a man in the house. Women are forbidden from going anywhere unaccompanied, which means access to food or even trying to enquire about their father’s whereabouts is impossible.
THE OUTSIDER at DocHouse (28 MAY 14:00 & 20:00):
- Nobu Su is known as a visionary, legend and game-changer within the international goods trade. Yet in 2008’s financial crisis, Su lost almost everything. He believes that RBS stole billions of dollars from his accounts in what he claims is the ‘biggest banking scandal you’ve never heard of’. This new documentary follows Su’s prodigious rise and dramatic fall. But is he a bitter conspiracy theorist or a wronged man?
More films in London this week (A – Z): AMANT DOUBLE at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY to 14 JUN). LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY AND A CASTLE at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). THE RAPE OF RECY TAYLOR at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 MAY). REVENGE at Ciné Lumière (until 31 MAY). SWEET COUNTRY at Whirled Cinema (28 MAY to 03 JUN). THIS IS CONGO at ICA (25 to 31 MAY). THE WILD BOYS at ICA (until 30 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.