RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
TAMPOPO d. Jûzô Itami, 1985 at Whirled Cinema (28 JUL 18:00).
- “A gleefully sensual and inventive comedy, TAMPOPO was an art-house smash in 1987. Director Juzo Itami drew on American noirs and gangster films and Westerns and probably comic books, too, to come up with a quintessentially Japanese lark that blissed out audiences around the world.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
London’s favourite, Genesis Cinema (results of the recent Time Out 25 Best Cinemaswhere they polled first!) celebrates two modern auteurs with mini seasons wrapped around their latest releases: Tarantino x Almodóvar (AUG 2019).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE STING 16mm d. George Roy Hill, 1973 + Intro at The Castle Cinema (28 JUL 13:30):
- Ciné-Real presents: “Following the murder of a mutual friend, aspiring con man Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) teams up with old pro Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) to take revenge on the ruthless crime boss responsible, Doyle Lonnegan (Robert Shaw). Hooker and Gondorff set about implementing an elaborate scheme, one so crafty that Lonnegan won’t even know he’s been swindled.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A CLOCKWORK ORANGE d. Stanley Kubrick, 1971 at Regent Street Cinema (28 JUL 19:45).
- ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at ICA (28 JUL 14:25).
- CLEOPATRA d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1963 250min + Intermission at Regent Street Cinema (28 JUL 15:00).
- DENIAL d. Mick Jackson, 2016 presented by Catford Film at Catford Constitutional Club (28 JUL 19:30 – FREE!).
- Double Bill: AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 + GHOST IN THE SHELL d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Moth Club (28 JUL 15:00).
- EARTH d. Nikolaus Geyrhalter, 2019 at DocHouse (28 JUL 16:00).
- THE ITALIAN JOB: 50th Anniversary Screening d. Peter Collinson, 1969 at Everyman Crystal Palace (28 JUL 17:00).
- MCCABE & MRS MILLER d. Robert Altman, 1971 at ICA (28 JUL 12:30 – ICA Members’ Screening – General Admission tickets available).
- MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY d. Jacques Tati, 1953 at Picturehouse Central (28 JUL 13:00 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THIS IS SPINAL TAP 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1985 at The Prince Charles (28 JUL 18:30).
- VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Barbican Cinema (28 JUL 17:25)
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- DUMBO, 2019 (28 JUL 12:30).
- MAMMA MIA!: HERE WE GO AGAIN (28 JUL 16:30).
- DIRTY DANCING (28 JUL 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: OBSESSIONS at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (28 JUL 17:10).
CLOSE-UP ON CLAIRE DENIS at Close-Up (08 to 31 JUL):
- PARIS, TEXAS d. Wim Wenders, 1984 (28 JUL 19:30).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VAGABOND d. Agnès Varda, 1985 (28 JUL 20:10).
FRANCO PIAVOLI: 1954 – 2016 at Deptford Cinema (07 to 28 JUL):
- NOSTOS: THE RETURN d. Franco Piavoli, 1989 (28 JUL 20:00).
LEAFF OPEN AIR SCREENINGS at Leicester Square Gardens (27 to 28 JUL – FREE!):
- A LIFETIME TREASURE, 2019 + Q&A with the director Albert Mak & actor Bob Lam (28 JUL 14:00).
- MONSTER HUNT 2, 2018 (28 JUL 16:00).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE, 2000 (28 JUL 18:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
SALON MEXICO: THE GOLDEN AGE OF MEXICAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- IN THE PALM OF YOUR HAND d. Roberto Gavaldón, 1951 (28 JUL 15:20).
- MACARIO d. Roberto Gavaldón, 1960 (28 JUL 17:45).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (ongoing):
- BORN IN FLAMES d. Lizzie Borden, 1983 (28 JUL 15:30).
SUMMER EXPLORERS 2019: MANGA COMES TO LIFE at the British Library (27 to 28 JUL – CANCELLED! If you are a ticketholder, contact the Box Office on 01937 546546 (Mon-Fri 09.00-17.00).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (28 JUL 17:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- DukeFest 2019 (28 to 31 JUL).
- Floating Film Festival (16 to 28 JUL).
- London Cannabis Film Festival (28 JUL).
- London Film & Comic Con (26 to 28 JUL).
- Rainbow Film Festival (21 to 28 JUL).
- Watford Short Film Festival (27 to 28 JUL).
THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (28 JUL 21:05):
- “Set in a luxury high-rise hotel in Mexico City, Lila Avilés’ quietly compelling debut follows the routinised existence of Eve, an enterprising young hotel worker. With nuanced direction and a spare script bolstered by Gabriela Cartol’s breakthrough performance, THE CHAMBERMAID offers wry observations about class, privilege and exploitation as it sensitively depicts Eve’s day to day life.”
MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (28 JUL 15:00 & 20:30):
- “A beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 01 AUG). ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Hackney (26 JUL to 01 AUG). ARMSTRONG d. David Fairhead, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). THE CURRENT WAR d. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017 at Phoenix Cinema (26 JUL to 01 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 31 JUL). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (29 JUL to 04 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 31 JUL). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 01 AUG). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Watermans (26 JUL to 01 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 30 JUL). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). TEL AVIV ON FIRE d. Sameh Zoabi, 2018 at JW3 (until 28 JUL). VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL to 01 AUG – UK Premiere 27 JUL listed above).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.