RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Tufnell Park Film Club presents Satyajit Ray’s THE MUSIC ROOM aka Jalsaghar at The Lord Palmerston (28 AUG 20:00): “I think five or six [Satyajit Ray films] could claim to rank among the 100 best films of all time…One is PATHER PANCHALI… Another is CHARULATA… But the film I would select above both is 1958’s Jalsaghar, or THE MUSIC ROOM.” — Derek Malcolm, The Guardian.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
COLD WAR + Q&A with director Paweł Pawlikowski & lead actor Joanna Kulig at Curzon Mayfair (28 AUG 18:40 – Sold Out!):
- Paweł Pawlikowski follows his Oscar-winning IDA with the stunning COLD WAR, an epic romance set against the backdrop of Europe after World War II. Sumptuously shot in luminous black and white, it spans decades and nations to tell a love story that is as tragic as it is moving, and as transportive as it is honest.
DISASTER CAPITALISM + Skype Q&A with writer and producer Antony Loewenstein at ICA (28 AUG 20:20):
- This documentary reveals the underbelly of the global aid and investment industry, a complex web of interests that encompasses powerful nations, multinational corporations and village leaders. Disaster Capitalism offers unique insights into a multi-billion dollar world by investigating how aid dollars are spent.
THE MUSIC ROOM aka Jalsaghar at The Lord Palmerston (28 AUG 20:00):
- Tufnell Park Film Club presents: Ageing Bengali landowner, Huzur Biswambhar Roy (Chhabi Biswas), invites an assortment of friends and business associates-cum-rivals to a final concert in his private music room. Living on borrowed time and far beyond his means, Huzar clings to an existence that is fast fading away.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- APOSTASY at ICA (28 AUG 15:10).
- BRIEF ENCOUNTER at BFI (28 AUG 20:30).
- Desiree Akhavan Presents: A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (28 AUG 20:00).
- DISTANT CONSTELLATION at ICA (28 AUG 13:50).
- THE FINGER MAN aka Le Doulos 35mm at Prince Charles (28 AUG 20:45 – £1 PCC Members’ Screening).
- GREASE at Rooftop Film Club, Shoreditch (28 AUG 21:00).
- HEATHERS at Genesis Cinema (28 AUG 18:05).
- PIN CUSHION at Picturehouse Central (28 AUG 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available).
- SHORT FILM NIGHT presented by Studio Holder at Deptford Cinema (28 AUG 14:00).
- THELMA & LOUISE at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (28 AUG 20:00).
- TRACKING EDITH at Regent Street Cinema (28 AUG 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
SUMMER IN THE CITY at Genesis Cinema (28 AUG – tickets £5!):
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (28 AUG 21:00).
WIM WENDERS at The Prince Charles (until 30 AUG):
- BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB 35mm (28 AUG 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any festivals projecting in London today… which probably means we’ve missed something!
> Let us know in the comments below.
BRAGUINO at ICA (28 AUG 19:15):
- In this work directed by the French artist, filmmaker and photographer Clément Cogitore, two feuding families, the Braguines and the Kilines, live in adjoining but otherwise isolated compounds deep in Siberia’s boreal forest, their settlement completely unreachable by road.
THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (28 AUG 18:30):
- This documentary confronts the dark underworld of the internet, revealing a shadow industry of ‘digital cleaning’ that controls the posts we see online. The film follows five of these digital cleaners, who are outsourced by Silicon Valley to the global headquarter for content moderation in the city of Manila in the Philippines.
ONE NOTE AT A TIME at Rio Cinema (28 AUG 16:00 & 18:30):
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, music can save the soul of the city, but can the musicians save themselves? The multiple award-winning feature documentary ONE NOTE AT A TIME pays homage to the musicians who courageously returned to their hometown of New Orleans after the devastation of one of the most deadly and destructive storms in American history.
YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at Whirled Cinema (28 AUG 20:00):
- A missing teenage girl. A brutal and tormented enforcer on a rescue mission. Corrupt power and vengeance unleash a storm of violence that may lead to his awakening.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A NORTHERN SOUL at DocHouse (24 to 30 AUG). BLACKkKLANSMAN ArtHouse Crouch End (24 to 30 AUG). BOMBSHELL: THE HEDY LAMARR STORY presented by UKJF at JW3 (26 to 30 AUG). THE BREADWINNER at The Castle Cinema 924 to 30 AUG). THE CHILDREN ACT at Lexi Cinema (24 to 26 AUG). ICEMAN at Watermans (24 to 30 AUG). MCQUEEN at ICA (25 to 30 AUG). POPE FRANCIS: A MAN OF HIS WORD at Watermans (24 to 30 AUG).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.