RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
BAIT 35mm d. Mark Jenkin, 2019 + Q&A with the director hosted by film critic Peter Bradshaw at BFI Southbank (28 AUG 18:15):
- “Gruff and taciturn Martin (Rowe) is a fisherman without a boat since his brother repurposed their father’s vessel for tourist trips. As Martin struggles to buy his own boat he must also cope with family rivalry and the influx of London money, stag parties and holiday homes that is displacing the locals in his picturesque Cornish harbour village. Summer brings simmering tensions to a head within the community, with tragic consequences.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
LUNCHTIME FILM SOCIETY launches this autumn at the Bridewell Theatre, EC4Y 8EQ (22 OCT to 01 NOV 2019). This brand new popup cinema screens daily programmes of bitesize films for busy City workers. Here’s everything you need to know!
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
RUBEN BRANDT, COLLECTOR d. Milorad Krstic, 2018 + Intro by producer Peter Miskolczi at Barbican (28 AUG 18:30):
- “Ruben Brandt is forced to steal 13 paintings from the world’s most famous collections to prevent the terrible nightmares he has as a result of subliminal messaging he received as a child. He and his band of thieves strike regularly at the Louvre, Tate, Uffizi, Hermitage and Museum of Modern Art. “The Collector” quickly becomes the most wanted criminal in the world.”
SEAHORSE d. Jeanie Finlay, 2019 + Q&A with the director at DocHouse (28 AUG 18:30):
- “Freddy is 30 and yearns to start a family, but this poses unique challenges. He is a gay transgender man. Seahorse tells the story of his journey. Deciding to carry his own baby took years of soul searching, but he was unprepared for the reality of pregnancy, both physically and challenging society’s fundamental understanding of gender & family.”
THE SOUVENIR d. Joanna Hogg, 2019 + Prerecorded Intro by the director + Afterparty at Genesis Cinema (28 AUG 18:20):
- Bird’s Eye View #ReclaimTheFrame presents: “One of Britain’s most unique filmmakers Joanna Hogg (Archipelago, Unrelated) presents a deeply personal examination of her own youthful experiences in this beautifully crafted, Martin Scorsese produced portrait of self-discovery, The Souvenir.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2018 at The Prince Charles (28 AUG 15:40).
- THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (28 AUG 16:15).
- THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at The Prince Charles (28 AUG 12:45).
- THE IMAGINARIUM OF DOCTOR PARNASSUS 35mm d. Terry Gilliam, 2009 at The Prince Charles (28 AUG 18:05).
- OLDBOY 4K d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 at Regent Street Cinema (28 AUG 20:50).
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Rio Cinema (28 AUG 20:40).
- THE SCAPEGOAT 35mm d. Robert Hamer, 1958 at Regent Street Cinema (28 AUG 12:00 & 15:30).
- US d. Jordan Peele, 2019 presented by Screen25 at Harris Academy South Norwood (28 AUG 19:45 – Use promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save!).
- WHEN HARRY MET SALLY 35mm d. Rob Reiner, 1989 at The Prince Charles (28 AUG 18:20).
- YESTERDAY d. Danny Boyle, 2019 at The David Lean (28 AUG 19:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: TURMOIL! at BFI Southbank (AUG):
- CAMILLE d. George Cukor, 1936 + Intro by Cathy Lomax (28 AUG 18:10).
- ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1999 (28 AUG 20:50).
CARY GRANT: BRITAIN’S GREATEST EXPORT at BFI Southbank (AUG to SEP):
- NOTORIOUS d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1946 (28 AUG 20:35).
IN THE EYES OF THE LAW at Ciné Lumière (25 AUG to 02 OCT):
- LA VÉRITÉ d. Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1960 (28 AUG 18:40 + Intro by Prof. Ginette Vincendeau).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- SUPERMAN (28 AUG 20:00).
SUMMER FILM NIGHTS at The Italian Cultural Institute (AUG – FREE!):
- IN TOP FORM? NO, THANK YOU! d. Alessandro Tamburini, 2010 (28 AUG 18:30).
TRILOGIES & TRIPTYCHS at Close-Up Centre (01 AUG to 01 SEP):
- Michelangelo Antonioni’s Alienation Trilogy – L’AVVENTURA d. Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960 (28 AUG 20:15).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 enjoys a grind show run (28 AUG 15:15).
- JAWBREAKER 35mm d. Darren Stein, 1999 (28 AUG 20:45).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We don’t think there are any film festivals in London today… Let us know if we’ve got that wrong!
HAIL SATAN? d. Penny Lane, 2019 at Rich Mix (28 AUG 15:15 & 17:30):
- “When media-savvy members of the Satanic Temple organise a series of public actions designed to advocate for religious freedom, they prove that with little more than a clever idea, a mischievous sense of humour, and a few rebellious friends, you can speak truth to power in some truly profound ways.”
PAIN & GLORY d. Pedro Almodovar, 2019 at Arthouse Crouch End (28 AUG 12:45, 15:30, 18:15 & 20:45):
- “Long-time Almodóvar leading man Antonio Banderas stars as Salvador Mallo, a director whose physical ailments have led into an almost hermit-like existence, before he is reunited with an actor from his past and embarks on a wild new chapter.”
SKIN d. Guy Nattiv, 2018 at JW3 (28 AUG 18:00):
- “Jamie Bell shines in Israeli filmmaker Guy Nattiv’s first English language feature (Nattiv’s short film of the same name won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short this year). Bell is Bryon Widner, a young man raised by skinheads, who embarks on a near-impossible process of moving away from the community that shaped him.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A FAITHFULL MAN d. Louis Garrel, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (24 AUG to 05 SEP). AMERICAN FACTORY d. Julia Reichert & Steven Bognar, 2019 at ICA (21 to 28 AUG). ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). BLINDED BY THE LIGHT d. Gurinder Chadha, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 29 AUG). GAZA d. Garry Keane & Andrew McConnell, 2018 at DocHouse (until 29 AUG). HOLIDAY d. Isabella Eklöf, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (23 to 29 AUG). MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ICA (until 28 AUG). ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD 35mm d. Quentin Tarantino, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (until 29 AUG – Selected screening times). TRANSIT d. Christian Petzold, 2018 at Ciné Lumière (23 AUG to 04 SEP). US d. Jordan Peele, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (26 AUG to 01 SEP). WAITING FOR THE CARNIVAL d. Marcelo Gomes, 2019 at DocHouse (23 to 29 AUG).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.