RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: Sick Monday: SOCIETY at Close-Up (29 OCT 20:15): “It’s little surprise that SOCIETY still has the power to surprise and fascinate [almost] 30 years later. Times change, but the shunting never stops.” – Ryan Lambie, Den Of Geek.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
NOVA NIGHTS: EPISODE #14 at The Horse Hospital (29 OCT 19:00):
- Billy Chainsaw presents: World premiere of Emma Dark’s short film PURGATORIC + award winning filmmaker Geoff Harmer’s short films followed by an interview with Billy Chainsaw & audience Q&A.
Scala Confidential with Jane Giles at BFI Southbank (29 OCT 18:30):
- Giles talks about her recently published book Scala Cinema 1978-1993 (FAB Press). Giles is the one-time programmer of London’s most influential and notorious repertory venue, with its heady mix of Hollywood classics and cult movies, live gigs and club nights.
Sick Monday: SOCIETY at Close-Up (29 OCT 20:15):
- Sick Monday presents: Six newly commissioned short video works followed by Brian Yuzna’s cult classic SOCIETY. Featuring new works by Anita Delaney, Anne Kathrine Bindesbøll & Ava Fersi, Dave Burrows, Noor Afshan Mirza & Brad Butler, Birgit Ludwig, and Vanessa Scully, this series celebrates the “video nasty” horror genre, its influence on contemporary video artists, and its overlooked critical capacity to express social truths in an exuberant style.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- BENEATH THE CLOCKTOWER at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 OCT 19:40).
- CALIBRE + Q&A with director Matt Palmer, producers Al Clark & Anna Griffin, and actors Ian Pirie & Martin McCann at Curzon Bloomsbury (29 OCT 18:20).
- CLIMAX presented by Deeper Into Movies at Miranda at Ace Hotel London Shoreditch (29 OCT 19:00).
- DOING MONEY + Q&A preview with cast & crew at Curzon Soho (29 OCT 18:20).
- MANDY at Genesis Cinema (29 OCT 21:00).
- MOUCHETTE 35mm at BFI (29 OCT 20:30).
- NUREYEV: ALL THE WORLD HIS STAGE at DocHouse (29 OCT 16:15).
- THE RIDER at Regent Street Cinema (29 OCT 18:30 & 20:40).
- THEY LIVE at Picturehouse Central (29 OCT 21:10 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE WATERMELON WOMAN part of Black History Month at Peckhamplex (29 OCT 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
A SPIKE LEE MIXTAPE at Deptford Cinema (11 to 26 OCT):
- THE 25th HOUR (29 OCT 19:00).
CELEBRATING THE CINEMA OF SPIKE LEE at Genesis Cinema (01 to 29 OCT):
- BLACKkKLANSMAN (29 OCT 21:00).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- WHAT’S UP, DOC? 35mm (29 OCT 18:15).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- HALLOWEEN (1978) (29 OCT 21:00).
- MANDY (29 OCT 13:00 & 18:15).
- THE GATE (29 OCT 18:35).
- THE SHINING Extended Version 35mm (29 OCT 20:45).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- LA NUIT FANTASTIQUE 35mm (29 OCT 20:40).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
POSSUM at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 OCT 14:15 & 21:20):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
UTØYA – JULY 22 at ArtHouse Crouch End (29 OCT 12:05 & 19:10):
- Seven years ago on 22 July, more than 500 teenagers at a left-wing political summer camp on a small island outside Oslo, Norway, were targeted by armed right-wing extremist Anders Breivik; an attack that ultimately left 69 people, most of them children, dead.
WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (29 OCT 18:30):
- This inspiring documentary looks at the power of science fiction as an art form through one of its foremothers, exploring Le Guin’s life through the prism of the magical worlds she created.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 1945 at JW3 (28 Oct to 01 NOV). BAD REPUTATION at Picturehouse Central (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (28 OCT to 07 NOV). DOGMAN at Ciné Lumière (26 OCT to 06 NOV). DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT at Peckhamplex (26 Oct to 01 NOV). THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (29 OCT to 04 NOV). MANDY at The Castle (26 to 29 OCT). SHIRKERS at ICA (26 OCT to 01 NOV). ORPHÉE at BFI (until 01 NOV). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (26 Oct to 01 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.