RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
THE CHILDREN d. Max Kalmanowicz, 1980 at BFI Southbank (30 JAN 20:40):
- Terror Vision presents: “After their school bus inadvertently passes through a cloud of toxic gas, a gaggle of unfortunate pre-teens are turned into radioactive zombies with killer hugs. Sharing many of the same crew as FRIDAY THE 13TH (with which it was shot back-to-back), this deliciously depraved mash-up of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and THE BROOD is a criminally underrated exploitation classic.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
One of our highlights of this early part of the screen year is Japan Foundation’s Touring Film Programme at ICA (31 JAN to 16 FEB).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
HAVANA d. Jana Bokova, 1990 + Q&A with the director at Czech Centre London (30 JAN 19:00 – FREE!):
- “This extraordinary documentary about life in Cuba opens with 16mm amateur footage of Fidel Castro’s triumphant revolution in 1959 moving between the pre-revolutionary past and the volatile present of Castro’s Cuba in 1989. Featuring an interview with the exiled Cuban poet Reinaldo Arena, HAVANA consists above all of residents talking about their homes, their city and Cuba in the midst of Havana’s dilapidated, ruined beauty.”
THE RISE OF THE SYNTHS d. Iván Castell, 2019 + Q&A with synthwave duo Nina & UK synthwave composer 80s Stallone at House Of Vans (30 JAN 19:00 – FREE!/Booking required):
- “In the mid 2000s and with the help of Myspace, several composers from different countries spontaneously started an underground music scene that the internet would call, among other names, Synthwave. It is defined as electronic music strongly inspired by soundtracks and 80s pop culture. These composers who have reached millions, all remained anonymous – until now.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANNE FRANK: PARALLEL STORIES d. Sabina Fedeli & Anna Migotto, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (30 JAN 12:00).
- A SERIAL KILLER’S GUIDE TO LIFE d. Staten Cousins-Roe, 2019 + Q&A with the director & cast at Catford Mews (30 JAN 20:45).
- DISAPPEARING WORMWOOD d. Tereza Stehlikova, 2020 + Short: CANAL d. Chris Penty at The Whitechapel Gallery (30 JAN 19:00).
- EL TOPO d. Alejandro Jadorowsky, 1970 + Intro/Salon Discussion with Nick Walker, Rochester Kino at Genesis Cinema (30 JAN 18:20).
- Imaginings: New Music & Film From Trinity Laban & Friends at Deptford Cinema (30 JAN 19:30).
- KINGMAKER d. Lauren Greenfield, 2019 at DocHouse (30 JAN 14:30).
- KNIVES OUT d. Rian Johnson, 2019 at The David Lean (30 JAN 14:30 HOH + 19:30).
- LA DOLCE VITA 4Kd. Federico Fellini, 1960 at Curzon Aldgate (30 JAN 19:45 – Other Curzon available!).
- Mystery Movie 35mm at The Prince Charles (30 JAN 18:10).
- ONCE UPON A TIME… IN HOLLYWOOD d. Quentin Tarrantino, 2019 presented by Sydenham Film Club at Sydenham Centre (30 JAN 19:30).
- PADDINGTON d. Paul King, 2014 presented by The Good Company Film Club at Redbridge Drama Centre (30 JAN 11:00).
- PICCADILLY d. E.A. Dupont, 1929 + Intro by Julian Rodriguez + Live Organ Accompaniment by Ben Comeau presented by The Photographers’ Gallery at Regent Street Cinema (30 JAN 19:30).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 + Intro/Poetry presented by We Are Parable at Peckhamplex (30 JAN 18:30).
- Short Film Thursdays presented by Forest Film Club at The Birds (30 JAN 19:30).
- SINK d. Mark Gillis, 2018 + Q&A with the director presented by Morning Star Readers’ Group at Marx Memorial Library (30 JAN 19:00).
- Sing-A-Long-A ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 at The Prince Charles (30 JAN 20:30).
- Tower Hamlets Holocaust Memorial Day: Antisemitism and Film Participatory Workshop at Tower Hamlets Local History Library & Archives (30 JAN 18:30 – FREE!).
- WEATHERING WITH YOU d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (30 JAN 18:25).
- WHEN TOMATOES MET WAGNER d. Marianna Economou, 2019 at DocHouse (30 JAN 18:30).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY at The Prince Charles (JAN to FEB):
- THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 (24 to 30 JAN).
ARIKE OKE: AS SCENE at Mitcham Library (29 to 31 JAN – FREE!):
- THIS IS ENGLAND d. Shane Meadows, 2006 (30 JAN 15:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS at BFI Southbank (DEC to JAN):
- DAY FOR NIGHT 35mm aka La Nuit Américaine d. François Truffaut, 1973 (30 JAN 20:50).
MUSICULTS at Genesis Cinema (JAN):
- CABARET 35mm d. Bob Fosse, 1972 (30 JAN 21:00).
THE SAFDIE BROTHERS at The Prince Charles (JAN):
- UNCUT GEMS 35mm d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 (until 30 JAN).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
We didn’t find any film festivals in London today… what are we missing?
CHINA LOVE d. Olivia Martin-McGuire, 2018 at DocHouse (30 JAN 20:30):
- “Love is an $80 billion industry in China. It’s not just the wedding itself that brings in the money – a booming trade in pre-wedding photography places the burden on couples to spend thousands on elaborately staged photos depicting lives of luxury.”
CYRANO DE BERGERAC d. Jean-Paul Rappeneau, 1990 at BFI Southbank (30 JAN 14:30, 18:00 & 20:20 – LAST CHANCE!):
- “The story of Cyrano de Bergerac has existed in many forms over several centuries but Rappeneau’s adaptation (now celebrating its 30th anniversary) is a delightful, tragi-comic tour de force with Gérard Depardieu’s Cyrano offering romantic tips to young Christian, a suitor with designs on Roxanne, whom Cyrano himself is keen to woo.”
THE HOLY MOUNTAIN d. Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973 at Rio Cinema (30 JAN 15:15).
- “Hypnotising, unsettling, transgressive, dazzling and decadent, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN also takes satirical bites into a corrupt, greed-fuelled world with attacks on religion, consumerism, fascism, and authority in general. So not just a nostalgia trip then…”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- A HIDDEN LIFE d. Terrence Malick, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (until 30 JAN). AKIRA 35mm d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at ICA (26 to 31 JAN). BOMBSHELL d. Jay Roach, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 30 JAN). BRIGHTBURN d. David Yarovesky, 2019 at Whirled Cinema (27 JAN to 02 FEB). BUTTERFLY at DocHouse (24 to 30 JAN). LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at The Castle Cinema (until 30 JAN). LONG DAY’S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT d. Bi Gan, 2018 at ICA (until 30 JAN). MIDNIGHT TRAVELER d. Hassan Fazili, 2019 at DocHouse (until 28 JAN). MY POLISH HONEYMOON d. Élise Otzenberger, 2018 presented by UK Jewish Film at JW3 (26 to 30 JAN). PRESENT. PERFECT d. Zhu Shengze, 2019 at ICA (24 to 30 JAN). PINK WALL d. Tom Cullen, 2019 at Watermans (24 to 29 JAN). UNCUT GEMS d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2019 at ICA (until 30 JAN). WEATHERING WITH YOU d. Makoto Shinkai, 2019 at ICA (until 29 JAN).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.