RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: After premieres and previews, Leilah Weinraub’s SHAKEDOWN starts a 4 screening run at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). We saw it last night at Tate Late, and absolutely loved it: “SHAKEDOWN — being neither a commercial spectacle nor a didactic case study but a torrent of curiosity and fantasy — makes space for itself.” – The New Yorker.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE ENDLESS + Q&A with directors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead at The Prince Charles (30 JUN 15:45):
- Benson and Moorhead play brothers, former members of a “crazy UFO death cult”, who receive a mysterious video cassette in the mail. The tape contains an eerie calling card from their past, inviting them to attend an event called the Ascension.
- Then enjoys a grind show run (01 to 05 JUL).
LIFE IN THEIR HANDS: THE NHS OF THE 1950s at BFI Southbank (30 JUN 13:30):
- An eye-opening double bill offering precious glimpses inside our NHS during its early years: LIFE IN HER HANDS (1951) + ON CALL TO A NATION (1958).
SUMMER 1993 + Q&A with director Carla Simón at Curzon Bloomsbury (30 JUN 15:30):
- Birds’ Eye View presents: A captivating film about a bereaved six-year-old girl who’s moved to the country to start a new life.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- 3 WOMEN at Close-Up (30 JUN 20:30).
- 20 FEET FROM STARDOM + LIVE MUSIC presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall Theatre (30 JUN 19:30).
- BILL & TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE at Backyard Cinema (30 JUN 16:30).
- BOOM FOR REAL at ICA (30 JUN 12:15).
- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S at BFI (30 JUN 18:20).
- CABARET 35mm at BFI (30 JUN 20:30).
- HONEY I SHRUNK THE KIDS at Backyard Cinema (30 JUN 11:00).
- I GOT LIFE! at Ciné Lumière (30 JUN 20:30).
- L’AMANT DOUBLE at ICA (30 JUN 16:45).
- LET THE SUNSHINE IN at Ciné Lumière (30 JUN 18:30).
- TRON at Screen On The Green (30 JUN 23:30).
- Vasari Digital Animation Series: Herb Shellenberger curating experimental animation at Birkbeck Cinema (30 JUN 14:30 – Free!).
- ZAMA at ICA (30 JUN 14:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK 70mm (30 JUN 18:15).
AGNÈS VARDA: VISION OF AN ARTIST at BFI Southbank (JUN to JUL):
- ONE SINGS, THE OTHER DOESN’T (30 JUN 20:40).
ALL NIGHT / DAY MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
DISNEY SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles (08 JUN to 28 JUL):
- DISNEY PYJAMA PARTY 7 films, 1 ticket (30 JUN 20:45).
IDA LUPINO: ACTOR, DIRECTOR, WRITER, PRODUCER, STAR at BFI Southbank (JUN):
- THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS 35mm (30 JUN 18:10).
PRIDE MONTH at Ciné Lumière (12 JUN to 11 JUL):
- THE HAPPY PRINCE (30 JUN 16:00).
S&M at Deptford Cinema (18 JUN to 20 JUL):
- THE PIANO TEACHER (30 JUN 20:00).
TONY RICHARDSON: THE LONELINESS OF THE BRITISH NEW WAVE at Close-Up (02 to 30 JUN):
- MADEMOISELLE 35mm (30 JUN 18:00).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Aperture: Asia & Pacific Film Festival (29 JUN to 08 JUL).
- AQERAT aka We, The Dead + Q&A (30 JUN 14:00, The Cinema Museum).
- A LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT + SHORT + INTRO (30 JUN 16:30, The Cinema Museum).
- FAKE + INTRO (30 JUN 19:00, The Cinema Museum).
South Social Meets Latin America (29 to 30 JUN).
- AMALIA THE SECRETARY UK Premiere (30 JUN 20:30, Elephant Park).
RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at DocHouse (30 JUN 18:30):
- Stephen Nomura Schible’s accomplished doc provides a unique insight into the life experiences and creative journeys undergone by musical genius Ryuichi Sakamoto (THE REVENANT, THE LAST EMPEROR, MERRY CHRISTMAS MR LAWRENCE).
TARPAULINS at DocHouse (30 JUN 16:30):
- The simple study of colourful tarpaulins reveals the destruction of modern-day urbanisation at the hands of insects. Los Angeles is losing the fight against a growing infestation of termites, and the city’s best weaponry is tarpaulins.
VAGABOND at BFI Southbank (30 JUN 16:10, 18:15, 20:45):
- Winner of the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, Agnès Varda’s VAGABOND is a cinematic landmark that introduced one of the most intriguing, complex and uncompromising female protagonists in modern cinema.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at BFI IMAX (04 to 05 JUL). ARCADIA at BFI (until 05 JUL). THE CIAMBRA at Watermans (29 JUN to 05 JUL). THE ENDLESS at The Prince Charles (01 to 05 JUL). ENTEBBE at JW3 (01 to 05 JUL). FRANTZ FANON: BLACK SKIN, WHITE MASK at ICA (01 to 05 JUL). HEREDITARY at Institute Of Light (29 JUN to 05 JUL). MARY AND THE WITCH’S FLOWER at The Prince Charles (29 JUN to 05 JUL). SHAKEDOWN at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). THE SQUARE at ICA (30 JUN to 05 JUL). STUDIO 54 at DocHouse (29 JUN to 03 JUL). TIME TRIAL at Picturehouse Central (30 JUN to o5 JUL). ZAMA at Whirled Cinema (02 to 08 JUL).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.