SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 30.07.19
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
PRISONERS OF THE MOON d. Johnny Gogan, 2019 + Q&A with the director & writer Nick Snow at Regent Street Cinema (30 JUL 19:30):
- “50 years after the Apollo 11 mission, Johnny Gogan and Nick Snow’s documentary tells the hidden horror story behind the NASA space programme, and of the only former Nazi to be stripped of his American citizenship and deported.”
NEW AT RADIANT CIRCUS
We caught up with the closing event in Fringe! Queer Film & Arts Fest’s QUEER SQUEE, a celebration of film & TV fandom. Read our writeup of JUDY JUDY JUDY at The Cinema Museum (27 JUL 2019).
London’s favourite, Genesis Cinema (results of the recent Time Out 25 Best Cinemas where they polled first!) celebrates two modern auteurs with mini seasons wrapped around their latest releases: Tarantino x Almodóvar (AUG 2019).
Our summer-long love affair with community cinema Screen25 continues this week with HIGH LIFE, part of their LIFT OFF! moon landing season at Harris Academy South Norwood (31 JUL 19:45). Check out our Special Attractions for full listings & then use promo code “CIRCUS19” to book & save.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
MY FRIEND THE POLISH GIRL d. Ewa Banaszkiewicz & Mateusz Dymek, 2018 + Q&A with the directors at Genesis Cinema (30 JUL 21:00):
- “A young American documentarian casts an aspiring Polish actress in her film about the life of migrants in London after the Brexit referendum, with the sole instruction to ‘act as if I’m not here.’ As the relationship between the women develops, they find themselves immersed in a strange power struggle.”
More films in London today (A – Z):
- ANIMALS d. Sophie Hyde, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (30 JUL 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- EARTH d. Nikolaus Geyrhalter, 2019 at DocHouse (30 JUL 18:30).
- GWEN d. William McGregor, 2018 at The Prince Charles (30 JUL 13:00).
- IN FABRIC d. Peter Strickland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (30 JUL 15:40).
- LISBON BEAT d. Rita Maia & Vasco Viana, 2019 (30 JUL 14:45).
- THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC d. Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (30 JUL 20:00).
> SIGN UP for free Friday emails highlighting 7 days of sensational screens.
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BACKYARD CINEMA: L.A. NIGHTS at Roundhouse (19 JUL to 24 AUG):
- A STAR IS BORN (30 JUL 20:30).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: OBSESSIONS at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- THE PIANO TEACHER 35mm d. Michael Haneke, 2001 (30 JUL 18:20).
THE CLASS OF ’94 at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- THE MASK 35mm d. Chuck Russel, 1994 (30 JUL 18:20).
CLOSE-UP ON CLAIRE DENIS at Close-Up (08 to 31 JUL):
- THE INTRUDER 35mm d. Claire Denis, 2004 (30 JUL 20:15).
FOCUS ON AGNÈS VARDA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- CLÉO FROM 5 TO 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (30 JUL 18:10).
MOVIES ON THE RIVER departing from Tower Millennium Pier (until 03 AUG):
- NOTTING HILL (30 JUL 20:00).
NINETIES: YOUNG CINEMA REBELS at BFI Southbank (JUL to AUG):
- LA HAINE d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 (30 JUL 20:45).
ONCE UPON A TIME WITH TARANTINO at The Prince Charles (until 14 AUG):
- RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 (30 JUL 20:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB various roofs (until 31 JUL):
- BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY (30 JUL 21:00 – Stratford).
- GREASE SING-A-LONG (30 JUL 21:00 – Peckham).
SALON MEXICO: THE GOLDEN AGE OF MEXICAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank (JUL):
- VICTIMS OF SIN d. Emilio Fernández, 1951 (30 JUL 20:40).
WE’RE GONNA PARTY LIKE IT’S 1999! at The Prince Charles (02 MAY to 26 NOV):
- THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 (30 JUL 15:15).
> SUBSCRIBE to get our full listings emailed & support #LDNindieFILM.
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- DukeFest 2019 (28 to 31 JUL).
THE CHAMBERMAID d. Lila Avilés, 2018 at ICA (30 JUL 16:50):
- “Set in a luxury high-rise hotel in Mexico City, Lila Avilés’ quietly compelling debut follows the routinised existence of Eve, an enterprising young hotel worker. With nuanced direction and a spare script bolstered by Gabriela Cartol’s breakthrough performance, THE CHAMBERMAID offers wry observations about class, privilege and exploitation as it sensitively depicts Eve’s day to day life.”
MARIANNE & LEONARD: WORDS OF LOVE d. Nick Broomfield, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End (30 JUL 12:30 P&B & 18:00):
- “A beautiful yet tragic love story between Leonard Cohen and his Norwegian muse Marianne Ihlen. Their love began on the idyllic Greek island of Hydra in 1960 as part of a bohemian community of foreign artists, writers and musicians. The film follows their relationship from the early days on Hydra, a humble time of ‘free love’ and open marriage, to how their love evolved when Leonard became a successful musician.”
ON THE INSIDE OF A MILITARY DICTATORSHIP d. Karen Stokkendal Poulsen, 2019 at DocHouse (30 JUL 16:20):
- “After 50 years of military dictatorial rule in Myanmar, the military generals began to realise something needed to change for sanctions to be lifted. Following the release of Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi at the end of 2010, the military installed a so-called civilian democracy, including putting Aung San Suu Kyi onto the political stage, who in turn made a dangerous pact with her opponents.”
More films in London this week (A – Z):
- APOLLO 11 d. Todd Douglas Miller, 2019 at DocHouse (until 01 AUG). ARE YOU PROUD? d. Ashley Joiner, 2019 at Picturehouse Hackney (26 JUL to 01 AUG). ARMSTRONG d. David Fairhead, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). BOOKSMART d. Olivia Wilde, 2019 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). THE CURRENT WAR d. Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017 at Phoenix Cinema (26 JUL to 01 AUG). THE DEAD DON’T DIE d. Jim Jarmusch, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). THE GREAT HACK d. Karim Amer & Jehane Noujaim, 2019 at ICA (until 31 JUL). HIGH LIFE d. Claire Denis, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (29 JUL to 04 AUG). THE MATRIX d. Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski, 1999 at The Prince Charles (until 01 AUG). MIDSOMMAR d. Ari Aster, 2019 at Rich Mix (until 31 JUL). NEVER LOOK AWAY d. Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2019 at ICA (until 01 AUG). ONLY YOU d. Harry Wootliff, 2018 at Watermans (26 JUL to 01 AUG). PAVAROTTI d. Ron Howard, 2019 at Phoenix Cinema (until 30 JUL). RESERVOIR DOGS d. Quentin Tarantino, 1992 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL to 01 AUG). TEL AVIV ON FIRE d. Sameh Zoabi, 2018 at JW3 (until 28 JUL). VARDA BY AGNÈS d. Agnès Varda, 2019 at Rio Cinema (until 01 AUG). WHERE ARE YOU, JOÃO GILBERTO? d. Georges Gachot, 2018 at ICA (27 JUL to 01 AUG – UK Premiere 27 JUL listed above).
Subscribe & support
RADIANT CIRCUS – “Home of alternative screen culture in London” (Film London) – is supported entirely by readers’ monthly subscriptions. Subscribers get our listings emailed directly as well as other great rewards. With enough subscribers backing us, we will be able to: 1) establish RADIANT CIRCUS as a permanent resource; 2) fund a full site rebuild to make our listings more social and searchable; and, 3) stage free events for subscribers as our way of saying a huge thank you! Our target? One thousand passionate film fans sharing what they love so that many more can discover it. Subscribe at patreon.com/radiantcircus
“I love everything you’re doing with RADIANT CIRCUS, the output is brilliant. And just so great to see it grow. Kudos to you.” (A fan via email!).
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: however, some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.