RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
THE BALLYMURPHY PRECEDENT + Q&A with director Director Callum Macrae in conversation with Jon Snow at Curzon Soho (30 AUG 18:15 – Sold Out!):
- Award-winning director Callum Macrae’s new feature documentary tells the story of the death of eleven innocent people killed by the British Army on a Catholic estate in Belfast in 1971, and the fight by their relatives and survivors to discover the truth.
IL POSTINO + Q&A with director Michael Radford at Regent Street Cinema (30 AUG 19:30):
- Cult Films presents: Mario, a postman from a quiet Italian village, is tasked with delivering the post to the famous poet Pablo Neruda, who is living nearby, in exile from his native Chile. Keen to use this contact to impress girls, Mario tries to worm his way into Neruda’s life. Eventually the poet begins to warm to him. This screening is to promote the new restored edition which will be available from 15 OCT in DVD and Blu-ray.
THE MAN FROM MO’ WAX + Q&A with James Lavelle at BFI Southbank (30 AUG 20:30):
- The remarkable story of James Lavelle, record-label owner, DJ and artist. Featuring a Pitchblack Playback of an exclusive mix from UNKLE’s new forthcoming album before the main feature. James Lavelle will be DJing in the BFI Bar & Kitchen after the screening.
PIECES aka Mil gritos tiene la noche at BFI Southbank (30 AUG 20:45):
- Spanish B-movie legend Juan Piquer Simón’s marvellously misjudged masterwork tells the seedy story of a killer bumping-off college students and using their body parts for a human jigsaw. Boasting one of the all-time great horror movie taglines (‘it’s exactly what you think it is!’), this is exploitation cinema at its most deliriously perverse and hilariously enjoyable.
WU-TANG CLAN: ON FILM at Moth Club (30 AUG 19:00):
- The Deeper Into Movies team have dug through the Wu archives: Interviews, documentaries, live performances, freestyles, behind the scenes, old VHS tapes, Youtube, fan footage, short films to bring you a perfectly curated 90 min collage of the greatest rap group of all time
More films in London today (A – Z):
- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR at Backyard Cinema (30 AUG 20:30).
- BICYCLE THIEVES presented by Kennington Classics at The Cinema Museum (30 AUG 19:30).
- BLACKFISH presented by Dogwoof at House of Vans (30 AUG 19:00 – Free!/Booking required).
- THE BOY at Prince Charles (30 AUG 18:35).
- THE KING at ICA (30 AUG 13:20).
- MCKELLEN: PLAYING THE PART at The David Lean (30 AUG 14:30 & 19:30).
- PULP FICTION at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford (30 AUG 20:00).
- RYUICHI SAKAMOTO: CODA at ICA (30 AUG 13:30).
- THE TRIAL at Ciné Lumière (30 AUG 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM 70mm (30 AUG 20:45).
AGNÈS VARDA: GLEANING TRUTHS various venues (AUG to SEP):
- ICA: ONE SINGS, THE OTHER DOESN’T + INTRO by Aga Baranowska (30 AUG 20:30).
CLOSE-UP ON ÉRIC ROHMER at Close-Up Centre (15 AUG to 03 SEP):
- FULL MOON IN PARIS (30 AUG 19:30).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (AUG to OCT):
SUMMER IN THE CITY at Genesis Cinema (06 to 30 AUG – tickets £5!):
WIM WENDERS at The Prince Charles (until 30 AUG):
- BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB 35mm (30 AUG 15:50).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Festivals projecting today include:
- I Will Tell International Film Festival (30 AUG to 09 SEP).
- London Korean Film Festival 2018 – Teaser Screening: GONJIAM: HAUNTED ASYLUM (30 AUG 21:00).
BRAGUINO at ICA (30 AUG 17:20):
- In this work directed by the French artist, filmmaker and photographer Clément Cogitore, two feuding families, the Braguines and the Kilines, live in adjoining but otherwise isolated compounds deep in Siberia’s boreal forest, their settlement completely unreachable by road.
THE CLEANERS at DocHouse (30 AUG 20:30):
- This documentary confronts the dark underworld of the internet, revealing a shadow industry of ‘digital cleaning’ that controls the posts we see online. The film follows five of these digital cleaners, who are outsourced by Silicon Valley to the global headquarter for content moderation in the city of Manila in the Philippines.
ONE NOTE AT A TIME at Rio Cinema (30 AUG 16:00 & 18:30):
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, music can save the soul of the city, but can the musicians save themselves? The multiple award-winning feature documentary ONE NOTE AT A TIME pays homage to the musicians who courageously returned to their hometown of New Orleans after the devastation of one of the most deadly and destructive storms in American history.
More films in London this week (A – Z): A NORTHERN SOUL at DocHouse (24 to 30 AUG). BLACKkKLANSMAN ArtHouse Crouch End (24 to 30 AUG). BOMBSHELL: THE HEDY LAMARR STORY presented by UKJF at JW3 (26 to 30 AUG). THE BREADWINNER at The Castle Cinema 924 to 30 AUG). THE CHILDREN ACT at Lexi Cinema (24 to 26 AUG). ICEMAN at Watermans (24 to 30 AUG). MCQUEEN at ICA (25 to 30 AUG). POPE FRANCIS: A MAN OF HIS WORD at Watermans (24 to 30 AUG). YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE at Whirled Cinema (27 AUG to 02 SEP).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.