SCREEN GUIDE DAILY: Films in London today 30.10.18
RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Find films in London today by: SINGLE-O EXHIBITS (one-off attractions) // MUSEUM SHOWS (several exhibits under one roof – seasons & festivals) // GRIND SHOWS (a selection of regular runs).
Featured attraction: DER GOLEM + LIVE SCORE by HarmonieBand at Rich Mix (30 OCT 19:30): “An enduring example of German Expressionist horror.” – Film 4.
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
BLACK MOTHER + INTRO by director Khalik Allah at ICA (30 OCT 20:25):
- Part film, part baptism, in BLACK MOTHER director Khalik Allah brings us on a spiritual exploration through Jamaica. Soaking up its bustling metropolises and tranquil countryside, Allah introduces us to a succession of vividly rendered souls who call this island home.
- Also: BLACK MOTHER + Q&A with director Khalik Allah at BFI Southbank (30 OCT 20:30):
DER GOLEM + LIVE SCORE by HarmonieBand at Rich Mix (30 OCT 19:30):
- A restored silent-movie masterpiece gets a stunning new live soundtrack by specialists HarmonieBand: “An enduring example of German Expressionist horror” – Film 4.
IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT + Q&A with film historian Peter Evans at Curzon HMV (30 OCT 20:30):
- Wimbledon Film Club presents: It’s the 1960s, an African-American detective (Sidney Poitier) from Philadelphia becomes reluctantly involved in a murder investigation in a small Mississippi town where the racial tension is almost palpable. With his life under threat and his Southern police partner (Rod Steiger) holding dubious views on race, this is going to be the toughest of assignments. For Black History Month.
Orson Welles’ The War Of The Worlds at Close-Up (30 OCT 18:30):
- Marking the 80th Anniversary of its original broadcast, Gareth Evans presents Orson Welles’ infamous radio production of The War of the Worlds, in Close-Up’s pitch-black auditorium.
More films in London today (A – Z):
- A GHOST STORY presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (30 OCT 20:00).
- DEMON SEED presented by Science Fiction Theatre at The Castle Cinema (30 OCT 21:00).
- HALLOWEEN (1978) + RECORDED Q&A at The Castle Cinema (30 OCT 19:00).
- HEREDITARY presented by Deeper Into Movies at The Five Bells (30 OCT 19:30).
- THE LOST BOYS 35mm + INTRO by The Celluloid Sorceress at Genesis Cinema (30 OCT 21:00).
- THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS 35mm at BFI (30 OCT 20:30).
- THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST at The David Lean (30 OCT 19:30).
- ORPHÉE at Picturehouse Central (30 OCT 18:30 – Other Picturehouses available!).
- THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD presented by Dominion Of Scum at The Glory (30 OCT 20:00 – Free!).
- TO HELL AND BACK short film programme presented by Shorts on Tap at Regent Street Cinema (30 OCT 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- THE YEAR OF THE TIGER aka El Año Del Tigre (30 OCT 18:20).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- OVERBOARD 35mm (30 OCT 18:10).
- BRINGING UP BABY 35mm (30 OCT 20:35).
- SISTER ACT (30 OCT 20:40).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- THE LOST BOYS (30 OCT 18:25).
- MANDY (30 OCT 15:40).
- LET THE RIGHT ONE IN aka Låt den rätte komma in (30 OCT 20:45).
- HALLOWEEN (1978) (30 OCT 21:00).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- ORPHÉE (30 OCT 14:30 & 18:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Film festivals in London today include:
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
POSSUM at ArtHouse Crouch End (30 OCT 14:15 & 21:20):
- Together with Possum, a hideous hand-puppet, disgraced puppeteer Philip returns to his childhood home. Staying with his cruel stepfather, Maurice, Philip soon discovers that ridding himself of Possum is no easy task. A truly creepy British horror from the visionary mind behind GARTH MERENGHI’S DARKPLACE.
UTØYA – JULY 22 at ArtHouse Crouch End (30 OCT 12:05 & 16:20):
- Seven years ago on 22 July, more than 500 teenagers at a left-wing political summer camp on a small island outside Oslo, Norway, were targeted by armed right-wing extremist Anders Breivik; an attack that ultimately left 69 people, most of them children, dead.
WORLDS OF URSULA K. LE GUIN at DocHouse (30 OCT 20:30):
- This inspiring documentary looks at the power of science fiction as an art form through one of its foremothers, exploring Le Guin’s life through the prism of the magical worlds she created.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 1945 at JW3 (28 Oct to 01 NOV). BAD REPUTATION at Picturehouse Central (26 OCT to 01 NOV). THE DEMINER at The Montpellier (28 OCT to 07 NOV). DOGMAN at Ciné Lumière (26 OCT to 06 NOV). DON’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT at Peckhamplex (26 Oct to 01 NOV). THE GUARDIANS at Whirled Cinema (29 OCT to 04 NOV). MANDY at The Castle (26 to 29 OCT). SHIRKERS at ICA (26 OCT to 01 NOV). ORPHÉE at BFI (until 01 NOV). THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD at Phoenix Cinema (26 Oct to 01 NOV).
MORE: weekly digests // monthly roundups // event calendar // festivals A to Z.
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
FOLLOW US on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram for daily updates.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.