RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our DAILY UPDATE helps you find great films in London today*.
Featured attraction: UNDER THE SKIN + LIVE SCORE by Covent Garden Sinfonia at Everyman Muswell Hill (31 MAY 19:00).
FILMS IN LONDON TODAY
MY LIFE AND TIMES WITH ANTONIN ARTAUD at The Whitechapel Gallery (31 MAY 19:00):
- This screening event and book launch marks the 70th anniversary of the death of Antonin Artaud, the immensely influential artist, Surrealist writer and film theorist.
THAT SUMMER + Q&A with director Göran Hugo Olsson at DocHouse (31 MAY 18:30):
- Directed by acclaimed Swedish filmmaker Göran Hugo Olsson, THAT SUMMER centres on the film project artist Peter Beard initiated together with the incandescent Lee Radziwill about her relatives: the Beales of Grey Gardens. Lost for decades, this extraordinary footage re-emerges in Olsson’s documentary.
UNDER THE SKIN + LIVE SCORE by Covent Garden Sinfonia at Everyman Muswell Hill (31 MAY 19:00):
- A screening of cult sci-fi drama UNDER THE SKIN, with Oscar nominated Mica Levi‘s score performed live by Covent Garden Sinfonia. Disguising herself as a human, an extraterrestrial (Scarlett Johansson) drives around Scotland and tries to lure unsuspecting men into her grasp.
More films in London today (A – Z): BOBBY ROBSON: MORE THAN A MANAGER + Q&A with Stuart Pearce, Gabriel Clarke & Clive Tyldesley at Curzon Soho (31 MAY 18:25 – Sold Out!). FREESTYLE: THE ART OF RHYME – DIRECTOR’S CUT + Q&A presented by commune Cinema at House Of Vans (31 MAY 19:00 – Free!). HEAVEN’S GATE at BFI (31 MAY 18:50). KINO VAN at Guidhall Yard archive footage about women worker’s rights and the suffragette movement loops as part of London History Day (11:00 until 17:00 – Free!). THE ROOM without Tommy Wiseau at The Prince Charles (31 MAY 21:00). SINK + Q&A with director Mark Gillis at Peckhamplex (31 MAY 20:30). SUBMERGENCE previews at Ciné Lumière (31 MAY 18:30). Take Two: [KISS ME DEADLY yesterday] + REPO MAN at Close-Up (30 & 31 MAY 19:30). THE TRUMAN SHOW presented by Sydenham Film Club at the Sydenham Centre (31 MAY 19:30).
MUSEUM SHOWS 1 // SEASONS
BLACK EUROPE ON FILM at Bernie Grant Arts Centre (until 07 JUN):
- BLAXPLOITALION: 100 Years of Blackness in Italian Cinema (31 MAY 19:00).
LET LOVE IN: NICK CAVE ON SCREEN at Genesis Cinema (until 01 JUN):
- Trumans Presents: 20.000 DAYS ON EARTH film & a pint (31 MAY 21:00).
LUCRECIA MARTEL RETROSPECTIVE at ICA & BFI Southbank (20 MAY to 07 JUN):
- ZAMA (31 MAY 18:15 & 20:40).
WE <3 GRETA GERWIG at The Prince Charles (until 09 JUN):
- 20TH CENTURY WOMEN (31 MAY 18:20).
MUSEUM SHOWS 2 // FESTIVALS
Herne Hill Free Film Festival (01 MAY to 01 JUN)
- BEYOND THE PHOTO (31 MAY 20:00, Prince Regent Pub – Free!).
Sundance Film Festival: London (31 MAY to 03 JUN)
IN THE INTENSE NOW + BRITISH MOVIETONE NEWS REVIEW OF 1968 at Rio Cinema (31 MAY 15:00):
- A cornucopia of archive materials documenting the uprisings of 1968 as they unfolded across four different countries. It captures all the euphoria, heady idealism and sadness of tumultuous times.
LOTS OF KIDS, A MONKEY AND A CASTLE at DocHouse (31 MAY 14:00):
- 80-year-old Spanish matriarch Julieta Salmerón had her three childhood wishes granted: she had lots of kids, she owned a monkey and she lived in a castle. Her life was as she had always dreamed – and then the financial crash hit.
ZAMA at ICA (31 MAY 14:10 & 18:20):
- Nine years after the critically acclaimed THE HEADLESS WOMAN, director Lucrecia Martel returns with ZAMA, a colonial-era satire based on the 1956 existential novel by Argentinian writer Antonio Di Benedetto.
More films in London this week (A – Z): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm at Picturehouse Central (until 31 MAY). AMANT DOUBLE at Ciné Lumière (29 MAY to 14 JUN). THE BREADWINNER at Rich Mix (until 04 JUN). THE OUTSIDER at DocHouse (25 to 31 MAY). THE RAPE OF RECY TAYLOR at ArtHouse Crouch End (25 to 31 MAY). REVENGE at Ciné Lumière (until 31 MAY). SWEET COUNTRY at Whirled Cinema (28 MAY to 03 JUN). THIS IS CONGO at ICA (25 to 31 MAY).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
Get all our guides delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership, available exclusively at Patreon.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. We check box office each morning for films in London today and try to only list events you can book for at the time of posting: some events may still be sold out. Please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.