RADIANT CIRCUS is your handcrafted guide to London’s DIY, indie & alternative movie nights, film events & gallery screenings. Our latest SCREEN GUIDE helps you find repertory seasons & film festivals in London this month.
Welcome to our OCTOBER roundup.
Each month we look ahead to London’s MUSEUM SHOWS where you can find several attractions under one roof. Our listings are divided into repertory seasons and film festivals. We’ll keep you updated on all London’s one-off screenings including film clubs, meet the talent Q&As and other special events in our weekly digests and daily updates.
Featured attraction: There’s a cavalcade of extraordinary celluloid coming to the BFI later this month and it’s not the one that’s garnering all the red carpet attention…. FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA (OCT to NOV) is one of those seasons where we would delight in seeing every title: “What pleases is what is terrible, gentle, and poetic” – Georges Franju.
Given the month, we’ll also save special mention for the epic chills of HORROROCTOBER at The Prince Charles – “A month of screams, chills, blood and guts!” – complete with several all-nighters, double bills, original format screenings and RADIANT CIRCUS childhood fave, THE GATE (29 OCT).
> What are you going to see?
FILMS IN LONDON THIS MONTH
REPERTORY SEASONS (A–Z)
70mm PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- Bringing regular 70mm presentations back to the West End with: 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm new ‘unrestored’ print (02 OCT 20:01 / 04 OCT 20:01 / 06 OCT 17:00 / 08 OCT 20:01 / 10 OCT 20:15 / 22 OCT 20:15 / 28 OCT 12:00).
- We list The PCC’s anniversary & 35mm screenings in our weekly digests & daily updates.
ALL NIGHT / DAY / MINI MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- “Butt-numbing marathons” (their words…ED.) of cult, horror, themed & film franchises including: MODERN HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:30 / 27 OCT 21:15); CLASSIC HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:45 / 27 OCT 21:00); TEEN HORROR PYJAMA PARTY 6 Films, 1 Ticket (26 OCT 20:45); and, DARIO ARGENTO ALL-NIGHTER 5 films, 1 ticket (26 OCT 11:30).
- Just be sure to follow the rules…
ANIMATION 2018 at BFI Southbank (2018):
- Celebrating animation in all its guises, from puppetry and stop-motion to anime and CGI. Includes: TEHRAN TABOO + Q&A with director Ali Soozandeh (01 OCT 20:30); Using Animation to Make an Impact: Passion Animation Studios (05 OCT 18:10); and, SEOUL STATION aka Seoulyeok (07 OCT 20:00).
A SPIKE LEE MIXTAPE at Deptford Cinema (11 to 26 OCT):
- For Black History Month. Includes: DO THE RIGHT THING (11 OCT 19:00); MO’ BETTER BLUES (15 OCT 19:00); JUNGLE FEVER (18 OCT 19:00); CLOCKERS (22 OCT 19:00); and, BAMBOOZLED (26 OCT ).
BLACK AND BANNED at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- “The films you weren’t allowed to see: drama and documentaries that offer unique and challenging perspectives.” Includes: LUMUMBA 35mm (01 OCT 18:00 –Sold Out!); AVA & GABRIEL: A LOVE STORY 35mm (03 OCT 20:40); WINNIE + Q&A with Cecil Gutzmore (09 OCT 18:10); and, BLACK POWER SALUTE + Tommie Smith in conversation (09 OCT 20:30).
CELEBRATING THE CINEMA OF SPIKE LEE at Genesis Cinema (01 to 29 OCT):
- Marking Black History Month with free tickets for residents of Tower Hamlets (proof required at venue Box Office): Includes: SHE’S GOTTA HAVE IT (01 OCT 21:00); JUNGLE FEVER (08 OCT 21:00); DO THE RIGHT THING (15 OCT 21:00); MALCOLM X (22 OCT 21:00); and, in partnership with Year Here, BLACKkKLANSMAN (29 OCT 21:00).
CINÉ LUMIÈRE 20TH ANNIVERSARY at Ciné Lumière (03 OCT to 28 NOV):
- Ciné Lumière celebrates its 20th anniversary in style with a series of festive screenings. Includes: UK premiere PROMISE AT DAWN + Q&A with actor Pierre Niney (03 OCT 18:30).
CLOSE-UP ON NURI BILGE CEYLAN at Close-Up (08 to 27 OCT):
- In anticipation of the UK premiere of Nuri Bilge Ceylan’s new film, THE WILD PEAR TREE, at the London Film Festival, this programme presents the Turkish auteur’s three preceding features. Includes: WINTER SLEEP (08 OCT 19:30 / 27 OCT 19:00); ONCE UPON A TIME IN ANATOLIA (10 OCT 19:30 / 16 OCT 19:30); and, THREE MONKEYS (12 OCT 20:15 / 25 OCT 20:15).
CLOSE-UP ON THE TAVIANI BROTHERS at Close-Up (05 to 22 OCT):
- The Tavianis are as concerned with corruption, abuse of power, poverty, and suffering as were the neorealists and their successors. This season focuses on three of the duo’s best known films. Includes: KAOS (05 OCT 19:30 / 22 OCT 19:30); PADRE PADRONE (13 OCT 20:00 / 20 OCT 18:00); and NIGHT OF THE SHOOTING STARS (18 OCT 20:15).
CLOSE UP: SEBASTIÁN LELIO at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- “A compelling and urgent voice in contemporary cinema that we think you should hear.” Includes: GLORIA (24 OCT 18:10); THE SACRED FAMILY aka La Sagrada Familia (26 OCT 20:40); CHRISTMAS aka Navidad (27 OCT 20:30); and, THE YEAR OF THE TIGER aka El Año Del Tigre (30 OCT 18:20).
COMEDY GENIUS at BFI Southbank (OCT 2018 to JAN 2019):
- “Tons of side-splitting film and TV, whether you like your comedy straight-up, slapstick or smutty.” Includes: MICKEY 35mm + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (23 OCT 18:20); GIRLS TRIP (24 OCT 20:20); MONSIEUR HULOT’S HOLIDAY aka Les Vacances De Monsieur Hulot (25 OCT 20:50 / 28 OCT 13:30); THE JERK + INTRO by Marc Wootton (26 OCT 20:30); SERIAL MOM (26 OCT 20:45); A NEW LEAF 35mm (27 OCT 15:40); SISTER ACT (27 OCT 18:10 / 30 OCT 20:40); A NEW LEAF 35mm + INTRO (28 OCT 17:40); MEAN GIRLS (28 OCT 20:00); WHAT’S UP, DOC? 35mm (29 OCT 18:15); and, OVERBOARD 35mm (30 OCT 18:10).
- Broad Strokes: Trailblazing Comedy Screenwriters (28 OCT 13:00).
DRAMA SHE WROTE at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- A season showcasing pioneering female writers of the television play. Includes: Elaine Morgan, Julia Jones and Buchi Emecheta: THE TAMER TAMED + STILL WATERS + A KIND OF MARRIAGE (01 OCT 18:10); Susan Pleat and Pat Hooker: BRENDA + SUSAN + INTRO from Susan Pleat (06 OCT 15:20); and, Watson Gould and Jill Laurimore: THE OTHER WOMAN + SHALL I SEE YOU NOW? (08 OCT 20:40).
FASHION ON SCREEN at Ciné Lumière (until 03 OCT):
- Includes: THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ANDRÉ enjoys a grind show run (until OCT).
FIERCE: THE UNTAMEABLE JOAN CRAWFORD at BFI Southbank (OCT):
- A two-month season revelling in the formidable and versatile Hollywood star. Includes: SUDDEN FEAR + INTRO by Anna Bogutskaya (02 OCT 18:20); I SAW WHAT YOU DID 35mm (04 Oct 18:00); AUTUMN LEAVES (05 OCT 18:30); STRAIT-JACKET (06 OCT 17:50 / 09 OCT 20:45); and, SUDDEN FEAR (07 OCT 13:40 / 08 OCT 18:30).
THE FILMS OF YASUJIRÔ OZU at The Prince Charles (ongoing):
- A seasonal selectrospective of the brilliant Japanese filmmaker, taking the English translation titles literally, and screening them during the season in which they’re set. Includes: AN AUTUMN AFTERNOON aka Sanma No Aji (13 OCT 12:30); and LATE AUTUMN aka Akibiyori (14 OCT 15:10).
GNARLY MOVIE NIGHTS at House of Vans (11 to 28 OCT – Free! / No booking required):
- “Come put your feet up in our underground cinema room and enjoy a selection of the most spine-chilling, hair-raising and plain creepy horror flicks ever made.” Includes: THE EXORCIST (11 OCT 17:00 & 19:15); THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (13 OCT 15:00 & 17:30); A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET (14 OCT 13:00 & 15:30); IT FOLLOWS (18 OCT 17:00 & 19:15); THE SHINING (21 OCT 13:00 & 15:30); and, HALLOWEEN (1978) (28 OCT 13:00 & 15:30).
HARRY DEAN STANTON FOCUS at BFI Southbank (until 07 OCT):
- BFI celebrates the late, great Harry Dean Stanton. Includes: PARIS, TEXAS (07 OCT 20:00).
HORROROCTOBER at Prince Charles (OCT):
- A month of screams, chills, blood and guts! Includes: HOCUS POCUS 35mm (01 OCT 20:45); THE OMEN (1976) (02 OCT 18:25); RAW (04 OCT 18:30 – £1 PCC Member’s Screening); DEATH BECOMES HER 35mm + Free Beer (05 OCT 20:45); THE ADDAMS FAMILY + ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES 2 films, 1 ticket (07 OCT 13:20); THE SHINING Extended Version 35mm (07 OCT 17:35 / 29 OCT 20:45); THE EXORCIST Director’s Cut 35mm (07 OCT 20:45 / 28 OCT 18:05); THE LIFT aka De Lift (08 OCT 18:25); PHANTASM 35mm (09 OCT 18:45); CREEPSHOW 35mm (09 OCT 21:00); HALLOWEEN (1978) (10 OCT to 01 NOV); MANDY (12 to 18 OCT); SCREAM + SCREAM 2 35mm 2 films, 1 ticket (12 Oct 21:00); NIGHTBREED Director’s Cut (14 OCT 20:45), IDLE HANDS (15 OCT 21:00); TRICK ‘R TREAT (17 OCT 18:25); DEMONS + DEMONS 2 2 films, 1 ticket (19 OCT 21:00); HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES (21 Oct 20:45); DEATH LINE 35mm (22 OCT 18:05); SUSPIRIA (1977) (22 to 28 OCT); KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE (22 OCT 20:45); PRACTICAL MAGIC 35mm (23 OCT 18:20); WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS (23 OCT 20:45); AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON (24 OCT 18:40); WOLFEN 35mm (24 OCT 21:00); THE GUEST (25 OCT 18:25); PSYCHO 35mm (27 OCT 18:30); SALEM’S LOT 112-Minute Theatrical Cut (28 OCT 15:30); THE GATE (29 OCT 18:35); THE LOST BOYS (30 OCT 18:25); LET THE RIGHT ONE IN aka Låt den rätte komma in (30 OCT 20:45); THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35mm (31 OCT 18:45); and, THE EVIL DEAD (31 OCT 20:45 & 10:50).
- MODERN HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:30 / 27 OCT 21:15).
- CLASSIC HORROR ALL NIGHTER 6 films, 1 ticket (06 OCT 20:45 / 27 OCT 21:00).
- TEEN HORROR PYJAMA PARTY 6 Films, 1 Ticket (26 OCT 20:45).
- DARIO ARGENTO ALL-NIGHTER 5 films, 1 ticket (26 OCT 11:30).
HOT DOCS LONDON 2018 at DocHouse (26 to 28 OCT):
- A selection of favourites from the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival. Includes: THE HEAT – A KITCHEN (R)EVOLUTION + Q&A (26 OCT 18:30); WHAT WALAA WANTS + Q&A (27 OCT 15:30); GURRUMUL (27 OCT 18:00); THE SILENCE OF OTHERS (27 OCT 20:30); THE ACCOUNTANT OF AUSCHWITZ (28 OCT 15:30); and, YELLOW IS FORBIDDEN (28 OCT 18:00).
Day passes available.
JANE FONDA: COMING OF AGE at BFI Southbank (OCT to DEC):
- This two-month season spotlight’s Fonda’s finest screen moments, from camp space adventures to tense thrillers and moving drama. Includes: 9 to 5 + INTRO by Jane Fonda (23 OCT 20:30 – Sold Out!); BAREFOOT IN THE PARK (24 OCT 20:45); CAT BALLOU 35mm (26 OCT 18:20); and, BARBARELLA (27 OCT 18:30).
- Jane Fonda In Conversation (23 OCT 18:30 – Sold Out!).
JEAN COCTEAU RETROSPECTIVE at Ciné Lumière (28 OCT to 18 NOV):
- Includes: LE TESTAMENT D’ORPHÉE + SALON with Nick Walker (28 OCT 14:00).
- See also (below): Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV).
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION! at Ealing Town Hall (until 26 OCT):
- Classic Cinema Club – Ealing presents a series of films complete with action sequences, adventure and crime capers – with brains, brawn and machismo. Includes: BEAU TRAVAIL (05 OCT 19:30); SANJURO (12 OCT 19:30); THE GREAT WHITE SILENCE (19 OCT 19:30); and, ERIN BROKOVICH (26 OCT 19:30).
MARGARETHE VON TROTTA REVISITED at Barbican (02 to 06 OCT):
- Feminist pioneer of New German Cinema. Includes: ROSA LUXEMBURG + SCREENTALK with Isabel Stevens and Erica Carter (02 OCT 18:30); THE LOST HONOUR OF KATHARINA BLUM + INTRO by Margarethe von Trotta (03 OCT 18:30); and, THE SECOND AWAKENING OF CHRISTA KLAGES (06 OCT 16:15).
MASAKI KOBAYASHI: THE HUMAN CONDITION at Close-Up (06 OCT to 28 OCT):
- Originally filmed and released in three parts, Masaki Kobayashi’s mammoth humanist drama is one of the most staggering achievements of Japanese cinema. Includes: THE HUMAN CONDITION I: NO GREATER LOVE (06 OCT 19:00 / 14 OCT 18:00); THE HUMAN CONDITION II: ROAD TO ETERNITY (07 OCT 15:00 / 21 OCT 18:00); THE HUMAN CONDITION III: A SOLDIER’S PRAYER (07 OCT 19:00 / 28 OCT 18:00).
MOHSEN MAKHMALBAF: THE POETIC TRILOGY at Close-Up (02 to 20 OCT):
- One of the preeminent figures of Iranian cinema, Mohsen Makhmalbaf has written and directed an impressive array of acclaimed films. This programme presents three of Makhmalbaf’s most lyrical films which the director has termed his Poetic Trilogy. Includes: THE SILENCE (02 OCT 20:15 / 20 OCT 20:15); GABBEH (03 OCT 20:15 / 13 OCT 18:00); THE GARDENER (11 OCT 20:15 / 17 OCT 20:15).
RHYTHM & POETRY: THE FILMS OF MARGARET TAIT at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- “Unravel the beauty and magic of this distinct poet-filmmaker from Orkney.” Includes: Seniors’ Programme Matinee: A Portrait of Margaret Tait: Filmmaker and Poet (29 OCT 14:00).
SCI-FI SUNDAYS at Deptford Cinema (28 OCT 2018 to 24 FEB 2019):
- An afternoon movie and a little something extra on the last Sunday of the month. Includes: TWELVE MONKEYS + SEASON LAUNCH PARTY (28 OCT 15:30).
Sight & Sound presents FANTASTIQUE: THE DREAM WORLDS OF FRENCH CINEMA at BFI Southbank (OCT to NOV):
- Incorporating fantasy, horror and science fiction, the French fantastique genre has a weird and wonderful tradition of its own. Includes: René Clair Double-bill: PARIS QUI DORT + LE VOYAGE IMAGINAIRE + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (23 OCT 20:15); FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER 35mm La Chute De La Maison Usher + LIVE ACCOMPANIMENT (25 OCT 20:35); MALPERTUIS 35mm (26 OCT 18:05); LA NUIT FANTASTIQUE 35mm (27 OCT 13:30 / 29 OCT 20:40); LA MAIN DU DIABLE 35mm (27 OCT 16:00); LES VISITEURS DU SOIR 35mm (28 OCT 17:30); and, THE PHANTOM BARON aka Le Baron Fantôme 35mm (28 OCT 13:00).
- ORPHÉE enjoys a grind show run (22 OCT to 01 NOV).
- Le Fantastique: A Curious Tour of the French Weird talk (25 OCT 18:30).
STUDIO GHIBLI FOREVER at The Prince Charles (until 06 JAN 2019):
- Legendary films from the greatest animation house on the planet. Includes: HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE (07 OCT 13:00); and, TALES FROM EARTHSEA (28 OCT 15:15).
- The English Dubs are also screening if you need them (tickets £4).
VARDA BY AGNÈS at Ciné Lumière (until 04 OCT):
- A series of films by the incomparable Agnès Varda. Includes: FACES PLACES (until 04 OCT).
#WOMENINFILM2018 at Genesis Cinema (ongoing):
- Films that have a female director/co-director, a female writer/co-writer, or a strong/iconic female lead. Includes: ONE NOTE AT A TIME + Q&A with director Renée Edwards (04 OCT 21:00): BOMBSHELL: THE HEDY LAMARR STORY + WOMEN IN SCIENCE PANEL (11 OCT 18:30); and, Dogwoof presents MATANGI / MAYA / M.I.A. (18 OCT 18:20).
WORKING CLASS HEROES at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- A season celebrating the charismatic working-class stars who light up our screens. Includes: THIS IS ENGLAND (02 OCT 20:45); SHALLOW GRAVE (02 OCT 20:50 / 06 OCT 21:00); BILLY LIAR (04 OCT 20:40 / 09 OCT 20:40); POOR COW (05 OCT 20:40); BULLET BOY 35mm + Q&A with Ashley Walters (06 OCT 18:30); THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY + Q&A with screenwriter Barrie Keeffe & Bob Hoskins’ daughter Rosa Hoskins (07 OCT 16:30); FACE 35mm (07 OCT 15:10); BULLET BOY 35mm (08 OCT 21:00); and, BEND IT LIKE BECKHAM 35mm (09 OCT 18:15).
- Working Class Heroes: The Filmmakers “how to get your voice heard in the film industry” (06 OCT 12:45).
WORLD WAR ONE: REGENERATIONS at BFI Southbank (SEP to OCT):
- A look at how each generation of filmmakers has interpreted the war. Includes: WESTFRONT 1918 aka Westfront 1918: Vier von der Infanterie (06 OCT 16:30); and LA GRANDE ILLUSION (07 OCT 17:30).
FILM FESTIVALS (A–Z)
Film festivals in London this month include:
- BFI London Film Festival (10 to 21 OCT).
- London East Asia Film Festival (25 OCT to 04 NOV).
- London Surf Film Festival (10 to 13 OCT).
- Native Spirit Film Festival (11 to 21 OCT).
- Ocean Film Festival World Tour (15 to 20 OCT).
- Raindance Film Festival (26 SEP to 07 OCT).
- Slow Short Film Festival (06 OCT).
- UK Iranian Film Festival (26 OCT to 05 NOV).
Join the hunt for adventurous moving pictures.
SIGN UP to our free eNEWS for regular updates about London’s indie cinema scene.
SUBSCRIBE to get our unique SCREEN GUIDE listings delivered directly to your inbox – plus other great rewards! – with a low-cost RADIANT CIRCUS monthly membership.
*THE SMALL PRINT: As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Apologies if we have missed your event. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version. Event dates/times are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Some events may already be sold out: please click quickly! We don’t filter by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should be 18+.