Our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to what’s on in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema, including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & new releases.
Welcome to another screen week!
LGBT(Q+) History Month is in full flow and there are plenty of great free and affordable pop-up screenings across town this week to celebrate. Titles that have caught my listing eye include: Hettie Macdonald’s BEAUTIFUL THING at Catford Mews (17 FEB); Dean Hamer and Joe Wilson’s KUMU HINA at the London LGBTQ+ Community Centre (19 FEB); François Ozon’s PETER VON KANT at The David Lean Cinema (21 FEB); Derek Jarman’s THE GARDEN at Genesis Cinema, Matthew Warchus’ PRIDE at Phoenix Cinema, and a short film programme from Women Over 50 Film Festival at St Margaret’s House (all 22 FEB); and, Newham Community Cinema’s presentation of Elegance Bratton’s THE INSPECTION at Stratford East Picture House (23 FEB).
Continuing their regular programmes, Transmissions presents Guillermo del Toro’s PACIFIC RIM for their trans-majority audience at Dalston Superstore (20 FEB), and FAB Film Club show a personal favourite of mine, Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato’s PARTY MONSTER starring Macaulay Culkin, Seth Green and a giant, talking rat at The Old Nuns Head (22 FEB).
Other highlights this week include an out of this world double-bill from The Gothique Film Society at The Cinema Museum, THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD + IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (17 FEB), a sold-out screening of Agnieszka Holland’s MR. JONES by Talkies Community Cinema (18 FEB), Lost Reel’s 35mm presentation of HENRY AND JUNE at The Prince Charles (21 FEB), and a special anniversary screening of Joan Littlewood’s SPARROWS CAN’T SING at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB, which includes a celebratory glass of Prosecco). Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club’s projections of CASABLANCA (19 FEB) and PIERROT LE FOU (22 FEB) are both currently looking sold out! The Garden Cinema is staging a fundraiser for the Disasters Emergency Committee Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal with a special screening of HOLY SPIDER (21 FEB).
In seasons, the blockbuster show continues to be SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank. To help you take a deep(er) dive BFI is offering a ‘6 films for £60’ deal using promo code GREATEST (although the offer does not include BFI IMAX). This month the list descends from 63 to 30… Across town, I’m attempting to resurrect “the worst films of all time” from The Golden Turkey Awards with my TRASH OR TREASURE? weekly bar screenings at Genesis Cinema. The programme continues with Lee Frost’s 1972 blaxploitation title, THE THING WITH TWO HEADS (22 FEB).
Nipping back to BFI, their rather more compact season YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA also comes highly recommended. The only festival I’ve spotted this week is the continuing Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour at Union Chapel (16 to 25 FEB) where tickets are very limited (as usual…). Let me know if I’ve missed anyone!
Finally, I’ve chosen Zodiac Film Club’s presentation and Arty zine launch for Julia Leigh’s SLEEPING BEAUTY (21 FEB) as my Featured Attraction of the Week in recognition of their continued commitment to promoting complex, provocative work by women.
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
SLEEPING BEAUTY d. Julia Leigh, 2011 + Arty zine launch, presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (21 FEB 18:45).
Lucy, an impassive but wry student, works a series of manual jobs to support herself. Her constant search for employment leads her to a mysterious role as a ‘Sleeping Beauty’, an experience that requires her to be completely unconscious. Despite the monetary rewards, Lucy becomes obsessed with finding out what happens to her when she is asleep…
“Divisive in both its critical and commercial receptions for its perverse, opaque lead character and ambiguous depiction of female passivity, the film has nonetheless been lauded for its confident directorial style and unforgettable beauty. But it was particularly the film’s cult ‘Tumblr girl’ following that inspired us to explore the film more deeply. After months of analysing and deconstructing, we’re excited to share it with you anew.”
“Arty is a magazine edited by artist, gallerist and academic Cathy Lomax. For this special collaborative issue edited by Zodiac Film Club, SLEEPING BEAUTY is explored through commissioned essays, fan art and an interview with the film’s production designer Annie Beauchamp, along with director’s notes kindly contributed by Julia Leigh. Copies of the magazine will be on sale at the event for a special price.”
FRIDAY 17 FEB
- BEAUTIFUL THING d. Hettie Macdonald, 1996 for LGBT History Month at Catford Mews (17 FEB 20:25).
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 + Q&A with the director & producers Heather Spore, David McDermott & Robert Hawkins at Bertha DocHouse (17 FEB 18:20).
- Musical Fridays: MARY POPPINS d. Robert Stevenson, 1964 at The Garden Cinema (17 FEB 17:45 / 18 FEB 11:00 – Pay What You Can).
- Sing-A-Long-A ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW d. Jim Sharman, 1975 at The Prince Charles (17 FEB 20:30).
- SUBJECT d. Camilla Hall & Jennifer Tiexiera, 2022 + Q&A with the directors & contributor Margaret Ratliff, hosted by Kim Longinotto at BFI Southbank (17 FEB 18:10).
- Double bill: THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD + IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE d. Christian Nyby, 1951 + Jack Arnold, 1953 presented by The Gothique Film Society at The Cinema Museum (17 FEB 19:00).
SATURDAY 18 FEB
- ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED d. Laura Poitras, 2022 + Q&A with Nan Goldin at Picturehouse Central (18 FEB 17:00).
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 + Intro by the filmmakers at Bertha DocHouse (18 FEB 20:00).
- MR. JONES d. Agnieszka Holland, 2019 + Intro by Katerina Pavlyuk, presented by Talkies Community Cinema at Waterhouse Hall (18 FEB 19:30).
SUNDAY 19 FEB
- Polish Film Talk: EO d. Jerzy Skolimowski, 2022 + Intro by Michael Brooke at Watermans (19 FEB 13:00).
- Chinese Cinema Project: JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 at The Garden Cinema (19 FEB 14:00).
- KUMU HINA d. Dean Hamer & Joe Wilson, 2014 presented by Queer Film Club at London LGBTQ+ Community Centre (19 FEB 17:30 – Donation requested!).
- Sunday Sessions: MYANMAR DIARIES d. The Myanmar Film Collective, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (19 FEB 16:00).
- NO MAN’S LAND d. Danis Tanovic, 2001 at Babel Art House (19 FEB 19:30).
- Phoenix Classics: ROMAN HOLIDAY d. William Wyler, 1953 (19 FEB 13:30).
- Short Film Screening presented by Tottenham Film at Blighty Nottingham (19 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (19 FEB 17:00).
- TITANIC 3D d. James Cameron, 1997 at Electric Cinemas White City (19 FEB 13:00).
- TOKYO STORY d. Ozu Yasujirō, 1953 at Japan House London (19 FEB 15:00 – FREE!).
MONDAY 20 FEB
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (20 FEB 20:00 / 21 FEB 20:00 / 22 FEB 20:00 / 26 FEB 17:00).
- BLACK COUNTRY, NEW ROAD ‘LIVE AT BUSH HALL’ at ICA (20 FEB 19:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: CHARADE d. Stanley Donen, 1963 at Regent Street Cinema (20 FEB 13:00).
- PACIFIC RIM d. Guillermo del Toro, 2013 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (20 FEB 19:00).
- Preview: THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 + Q&A with the director & actors Ashley Madekwe, Bukky Bakray, Jorden Myrie, Maria Almeida & Samuel Small at BFI Southbank (20 FEB 18:15).
- VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS aka Valerie a týden divu d. Jaromil Jires, 1970 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (20 FEB 19:30).
TUESDAY 21 FEB
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (21 FEB 20:00 / 22 FEB 20:00 / 26 FEB 17:00).
- Black Cyclone: Africa & its Diaspora’s Love for the Bicycle short film programme + Panel discussion presented by Emerging Film Curators 2022 at Barbican (21 FEB 18:45).
- BROKER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: ActOne Cinema (21 FEB 20:30); Curzon Cinemas (21 FEB various); Genesis Cinema (21 FEB 18:00); Picturehouse Cinemas (21 FEB various); Regent Street Cinema (21 FEB 17:00); Rio Cinema (21 FEB 18:15).
- HENRY AND JUNE 35mm dir Philip Kaufman, 1990 presented by Lost Reels at The Prince Charles Cinema (21 FEB 18:00).
- HOLY SPIDER d. Ali Abbasi, 2022 raising funds for the Disasters Emergency Committee Turkey-Syria Earthquake Appeal, at The Garden Cinema (21 FEB 20:40).
- Projecting the Archive: I’LL GET YOU FOR THIS 35mm aka Lucky Nick Cain d. Joseph M. Newman, 1950 + Intro by Rosie Taylor, Curatorial Archivist, BFI National Archive at BFI Southbank (21 FEB 18:20).
- L’ARGENT d. Marcel L’Herbier, 1928 presented online & in-venue by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (21 FEB 19:30 – Donation requested).
- PETER VON KANT d. François Ozon, 2022 for LGBT History Month at The David Lean (21 FEB 19:30).
- THE QUIET GIRL d. Colm Bairéad, 2022 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (21 FEB 20:00).
- SLEEPING BEAUTY d. Julia Leigh, 2011 + zine launch, presented by Zodiac Film Club at The Castle Cinema (21 FEB 18:45).
- THE WHITE SHEIK d. Federico Fellini, 1952 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (21 FEB 20:00).
WEDNESDAY 22 FEB
- 500 DAYS OF SUMMER d. Marc Webb, 2009 presented by BBE Movie Club at Bubba Oasis (22 FEB 19:00).
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (22 FEB 20:00 / 26 FEB 17:00).
- THE BIG COMBO d. Joseph H Lewis, 1955 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (22 FEB 19:30).
- BROKER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022 + Recorded Q&A with the director at: Everyman Cinemas (22 FEB various).
- CAMDEN d. Devorah Baum & Josh Appignanesi, 2023 + Q&A with the directors at Curzon Camden (22 FEB 18:20).
- THE GARDEN d. Derek Jarmnan, 1991 for LGBT History Month at Genesis Cinema (22 FEB 18:45).
- THE LAST EXECUTION d. Franziska Stünkel, 2021 at Goethe-Institut (22 FEB 19:00).
- London Mountain Film Festival – Run and Adventure Films Night 1 at Old Street Brewery & Taproom Hackney Wick (22 FEB 19:00).
- PARTY MONSTER d. Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato, 2003 presented by FAB Film Club at The Old Nuns Head (22 FEB 19:45).
- PRIDE d. Matthew Warchus, 2014 presented by Inkluder CIC for LGBT History Month at Phoenix Cinema (22 FEB 20:30).
- TÁR d. Todd Field, 2022 at The David Lean (22 FEB 19:00).
- Women Over 50 Film Festival short film programme for LGBT History Month at St Margaret’s House (22 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
THURSDAY 23 FEB
- CALL ME BY YOUR NAME d. Luca Guadagnino, 2017 + Discussion, for LGBT History Month at Hornsey Library Silent Cinema (23 FEB 17:00 – FREE!).
- FINITE: THE CLIMATE OF CHANGE d. Rich Felgate, 2022 + Q&A with the director at Rio Cinema (23 FEB 18:30).
- Guns and Bone Short Film Extravaganza short film programme & networking at Close-Up Film Centre (23 FEB 19:00).
- IL GIOVANE CORSARO – PASOLINI DA BOLOGNA d. Emilio Marrese, 2022 + Intro by Prof. Guido Bonsaver, University of Oxford at The Italian Cultural Institute in London (23 FEB 18:00 – FREE!).
- Indie Arthouse Film Shorts short film programme presented at The Film Atelier (23 FEB 18:00).
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 + WOFFF Short: JUST SAY d. Lucretia Knapp & Lynne Yamamoto for LGBT History Month, presented by Newham Community Cinema at Stratford East Picturehouse (23 FEB 19:00 – FREE!).
- IN THE REALM OF THE SENSES d. Nagisa Oshima, 1976 + Intro/Salon with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 18:15).
- Experimenta: RIGHT OF WAY d. Various, 2023 + Q&A with artists Dan Guthrie, Ufuoma Essi & Arjuna Neuman, hosted by Jonathan Ali at BFI Southbank (23 FEB 18:10).
- SPARROWS CAN’T SING – 60th Anniversary d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 at Genesis Cinema (23 FEB 18:45 + Glass of Prosecco).
- THE SWAMP d. Lucrecia Martel, 2001 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (23 FEB 18:45).
- TILL d. Chinonye Chukwu, 2022 at The David Lean (23 FEB 14:30 HOH & 19:30).
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CASABLANCA 16mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (19 FEB 14:00); PIERROT LE FOU 16mm d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1966 (22 FEB 19:30).
- Presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club.
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THIEF 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1981 (17 FEB 17:45 / 23 FEB 12:25); KING KONG 35mm d. Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack, 1933 (20 FEB 18:20); GODZILLA 35mm aka Gojira d. Ishirô Honda, 1954 (20 FEB 20:45); HENRY & JUNE 35mm d. Philip Kaufman, 1990 presented by Lost Reels (21 FEB 18:00); WHALE RIDER 35mm d. Niki Caro, 2003 (21 FEB 18:15 – £1 Members Film); HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2007 (22 FEB 15:15); WATTSTAX 35mm d. Mel Stuart, 1973 (23 FEB 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings): ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB); ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (17 to 23 FEB).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings):
- Family: THRONE OF BLOOD aka Kumonosu-jô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1957 (17 FEB 20:40 / 21 FEB 18:10); RHAPSODY IN AUGUST 35mm aka Hachigatsu no Kyoshikoku d. Akira Kurosawa, 1991 (19 FEB 18:30); A.K. d. Chris Marker, 1985 (22 FEB 20:50).
- Professional Lives: YOJIMBO aka Yôjinbô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 (18 FEB 20:45); YOJIMBO aka Yôjinbô d. Akira Kurosawa, 1961 + Intro by Asif Kapadia, season co-curator (23 FEB 20:15).
- Unclassifiable Kurosawa: MÂDADAYO 35mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1993 (20 FEB 20:20).
- Talks & Events: Philosophical Screens: THRONE OF BLOOD (21 FEB 20:10).
- Re-release: RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE DIARY OF A CHAMBERMAID aka Le journal d’une femme de chambre d. Luis Buñuel, 1964 (20 FEB 18:05).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): GHOST IN THE SHELL d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 (18 FEB 18:35 – 4K).
ANNIVERSARY SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LOVE IS THE DEVIL d. John Maybury, 1998 (19 FEB 12:45 / 22 FEB 18:00).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles (Not listed elsewhere!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): OLDBOY aka Oldeuboi d. Chan-wook Park, 2003 (17 to 23 FEB); KING KONG 35mm d. Merian C. Cooper & Ernest B. Schoedsack, 1933 (20 FEB 18:20).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (until 23 FEB); GATEWAYS GRIND d. Jacquie Lawrence, 2021 + Q&A with the director & networking (17 FEB 18:40); VICTIM d. Basil Dearden, 1961 (22 FEB 20:00).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1980 (17 FEB 20:15); LA CHINOISE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (19 FEB 20:15).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE THING WITH TWO HEADS d. Lee Frost, 1972 + Intro, intermission, themed drinks & prize giveaways at Genesis Cinema’s Bar Paragon (22 FEB 20:30).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BEHIND THE LENS: FILMS FOR LGBT+ HISTORY MONTH at The Cinema Museum
- Includes (check venue for listings): A WOMAN IS A WOMAN d. Maisy Goosy Suen, 2018 + Intro/discussion (23 FEB 19:00).
BRING ME THE FILMS OF SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MAJOR DUNDEE d. Sam Peckinpah, 1965 (22 FEB 18:15).
CELLULOID SUNDAY at ICA
- Includes (check venue for listings): DUST IN THE WIND 35mm d. Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1986 (19 FEB 18:30).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE d. Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, 2022 (17 FEB 20:45 / 18 FEB 12:00 – 4K / 19 FEB 20:20 – 4K / 21 FEB 20:40 – 4K / 22 FEB 12:15 – 4K); WITHNAIL & I d. Bruce Robinson, 1987 (21 FEB 15:45).
CLASSICS at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 (19 FEB 14:45); SPARROWS CAN’T SING d. Joan Littlewood, 1963 (23 FEB 18:45).
CLOSE-UP ON DANNY LYON at Close-Up Film Centre
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): MILLER’S CROSSING 35mm d. Joel Coen, 1990 (18 FEB 22:30 / 22 FEB 10:30).
EXPERIMENTS IN FILM at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE PLAINS d. David Easteal, 2022 + Q&A with the director (22 FEB 18:30).
THE FILMS OF MICHAEL MANN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THIEF 35mm d. Michael Mann, 1981 (17 FEB 17:45 / 23 FEB 12:25).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- Includes (check venue for full listings): COUP D’ÉTAT d. Kiju Yoshida, 1973 (18 FEB 20:15).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FILM SOCIALISME d. Jean-Luc Godard, 2010 (19 FEB 14:00 / 21 FEB 18:20).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE GODFATHER TRILOGY d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 + 1974 + 1990 (19 FEB 13:00).
NICOLAS ROEG: HAUNTING MEMORIES at Riverside Studios
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH d. Nicolas Roeg + Video essay by Mark Cousins (19 FEB 14:00 / 20 FEB 14:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 59 SANS SOLEIL 35mm d. Chris Marker, 1982 (17 FEB 18:00); 52= NEWS FROM HOME d. Chantal Akerman, 1976 + Intro (17 FEB 18:20); 54= LE MÉPRIS aka Contempt d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1963 (17 FEB 20:50); 54= BLADE RUNNER: FINAL CUT 4K d. Ridley Scott, 1982 (18 FEB 18:10); 48= WANDA d. Barbara Loden, 1970 (18 FEB 18:20 & 18:25 / 23 FEB 20:45); 54= BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN aka Bronenosets Potemkin d. Sergei M. Eisenstein, 1925 (18 FEB 18:30); 35 PATHER PANCHALI 4K d. Satyajit Ray, 1955 (18 FEB 20:30 / 21 FEB 20:35); 43= THE KILLER OF SHEEP d. Charles Burnett, 1977 (18 FEB 20:40); 31= PSYCHO 4K d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 (20 FEB 14:30 / 23 FEB 20:40); 41= BICYCLE THIEVES aka Ladri di bicicletted. Vittorio De Sica, 1948 (20 FEB 20:55 / 23 FEB 14:30); 31= 8½ d. Federico Fellini, 1963 (21 FEB 14:30); 50= THE PIANO d. Jane Campion, 1993 (21 FEB 17:50); 63= THE THIRD MAN 4K d. Carol Reed, 1949 (21 FEB 20:40); 34 L’ATALANTE d. Jean Vigo, 1934 (22 FEB 14:30); 36= M aka Mörder unter uns d. Fritz Lang, 1931 (22 FEB 18:00); 54= THE APARTMENT 4K d. Billy Wilder, 1960 (22 FEB 20:35);
- Re-release: 41= RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (until 23 FEB).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (17 FEB 18:15 / 18 FEB 21:00 / 20 FEB 15:15 HOH / 21 FEB 21:00 / 22 FEB 21:00 / 23 FEB 18:10 ); WHALE RIDER 35mm d. Niki Caro, 2003 (21 FEB 18:15).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): HEAT d. Michael Mann, 1995 (19 FEB various).
VALENTINE’S at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN d. Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly, 1952 (18 FEB 13:10); HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2007 (22 FEB 15:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): 2046 d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 (17 FEB 12:00 – 4K / 18 FEB 15:40 / 20 FEB 15:30 – 4K / 22 FEB 18:00 – 4K); IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (19 FEB 18:00 – 4K).
WUXIA SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): A TOUCH OF ZEN d. King Hu, 1969 (20 FEB 12:00).
WEIMAR CINEMA at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for full listings): METROPOLIS d. Fritz Lang, 1927 (19 FEB various / 21 FEB various).
YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for listings): YOU WON’T BE ALONE d. Goran Stolevski, 2022 (17 FEB 20:25); SISSY d. Kane Senes & Hannah Barlow, 2022 + Short: PINK REEF d. Chloe de Brito, 2022 (20 FEB 17:50); So-Called Australia: Blak Art on Film + TERROR NULLIUS d. Soda Jerk, 2018 (21 FEB 20:30); SHADOW d. Bruce Gladwin, 2022 + Short: CALL HISTORY d. Lillian Paterson, 2020 (22 FEB 18:20).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
Also 17 to 23 FEB (various dates/times):
- THE INSPECTION d. Elegance Bratton, 2022 at: Barbican./ Picturehouse Cinemas.
- MAKE ME FAMOUS d. Brian Vincent, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- SHARPER d. Benjamin Caron, 2023 at: Everyman Cinemas.
- THE STRAYS d. Nathaniel Martello-White, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.