Our RADIANT CIRCUS guide to what’s on in London this week across DIY, indie & alternative cinema, including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & new releases.
Welcome to another screen week!
Firstly, apologies for the erratic nature of these posts recently. RADIANT CIRCUS has been running in its current form for 5 years and instead of hitting the celebrations hard, the wheels almost came off this bus… It’s a one man blogging affair (i.e. me!) and the pressure of balancing paid work with producing routine/comprehensive listings can be a tough one to maintain.
Weirdly, it’s not the researching/compiling that causes me problems (I love finding out what’s on, and hope to get back to seeing more of it soon…), it’s simply the time it takes. On that note, there won’t be daily updates this week due to pressures of other work, but there will be THE BALLY and more promotion of featured attractions on Instagram. Thank you as usual to my subscribers at Patreon for their ongoing support. You really do keep me going.
Getting back to this week… New releases and revivals include limited engagements for the 30th anniversary 4K restoration of Martin Scorsese’s THE AGE OF INNOCENCE (1993), Ti West’s PEARL (2023) – the prequel to X which screens at Picturehouse Cinemas on Friday – and the widest of the new releases, Raine Allen Miller’s RYE LANE (2023).
With BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR) well underway on the Southbank, it’s a quieter week than usual with regard to rep seasons. FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema and OBSESSIONS at Bertha DocHouse have some excellent offerings. Of course, you can always join me for my penultimate BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? screening at Genesis Cinema, a rare outing for John Boorman’s hypnotically weird EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC in Studio 4 (22 MAR).
Film festivals opening this week include the always insanely busy Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR), St Patrick’s Film Festival (17 to 19 MAR) from Irish Film London which includes an epic screening of short films in Trafalgar Square, and Austrian film programme WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
Indie cinema exhibitors are busy this week, with Brixton House embracing cinema programming more widely in their venue. Bounce Cinema kicks things off with two already heavily-sold screenings (SET IT OFF on 17 MAR and LOVE JONES on 18 MAR). Then, We Are Parable celebrate their 10th Anniversary with a weekend takeover a little later in the month (EXPERIENCE OVER EVERYTHING from 30 MAR to 02 APR).
There’s a strong variety of short film programmes across town this week, and so I’ve chosen Kenneth Anger: Magick Lantern Cycle at Close-Up (19 & 26 MAR) as my Featured Attraction of the Week.
See you in the darkness, and stay safe.
Richard // RADIANT CIRCUS
Kenneth Anger: Magick Lantern Cycle at Close-Up (19 MAR 17:00 / 26 MAR 17:00).
“Cinematic magician, legendary provocateur, author of the infamous Hollywood Babylon book, Kenneth Anger is a unique figure in post-war American culture. His iconic short films are characterised by a mystical-symbolic visual language and phantasmagorical-sensual opulence that underscores the medium’s transgressive potential. Anger’s work fundamentally shaped the aesthetics of 1960s and 1970s subcultures, the visual lexicon of pop and music videos and queer iconography. These nine films form the basis of Anger’s reputation as one of the most influential pioneers of avant-garde film and video art.” (Close-Up)
FRIDAY 17 MAR
- Musical Fridays: CHICAGO d. Rob Marshall, 2002 at The Garden Cinema (17 MAR 20:45).
- SET IT OFF d. F. Gary Gray, 1996 + Afterparty presented by Bounce Cinema at Brixton House (17 MAR 19:30).
- TASTING MENU film programme + afterparty presented by Electric Frog x Double Wonderful at Poster Hauss (17 MAR 18:30).
- THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY d. Ken Loach, 2006 at The Garden Cinema (17 MAR 18:15 / 22 MAR 15:25).
- WINNERS d. Hassan Nazer, 2023 + Q&A with the director & producer Nadira Murray at Curzon Bloomsbury (17 MAR 18:15).
- X d. Ti West, 2022 at Picturehouse Cinemas (17 MAR various).
SATURDAY 18 MAR
- THE FIVE DEVILS d. Léa Mysius, 2023 + Q&A with the director, presented by Dazed x MUBI Cinema Club at Rio Cinema (18 MAR 15:15).
- LOVE JONES d. Theodore Witcher, 1997 + Afterparty presented by Bounce Cinema at Brixton House (18 MAR 19:30).
- French Sundaes: MORE THAN EVER d. Emily Atef, 2022 + Intro/discussion with Jon Davies at Watermans (18 MAR 13:00).
- RYE LANE d. Raine Allen Miller, 2023 + Q&A with the director & actor Vivian Oparah at The Ritzy (18 MAR 16:50).
- SOFTNESS OF BODIES d. Jordan Blady, 2018 presented by Deeper Into Movies at TT Liquor (18 MAR 15:30).
SUNDAY 19 MAR
- Armenians in Film short film programme presented by AGBU London & AGBU Arts at Curzon Bloomsbury (19 MAR 18:00).
- Kenneth Anger: Magick Lantern Cycle at Close-Up (19 MAR 17:00 / 26 MAR 17:00).
- LITTLE WOMEN d. Greta Gerwig, 2019 at Chiswick Cinema (19 MAR 15:30).
- Shortcuts – Short Film Showcase presented by Deeper Into Movies at MOTH Club (19 MAR 19:30).
- Short Film Programme presented by Tottenham Film at Blighty Tottenham (19 MAR 18:00).
- TO LESLIE d. Michael Morris, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (19 MAR 17:00).
- TO LIVE aka Huo zhe d. Yimou Zhang, 1994 at Babel Art House (19 MAR 19:30).
- WINNERS d. Hassan Nazer, 2023 + Q&A with the director at The Garden Cinema (19 MAR 17:00).
- WOMEN BEHND THE WHEEL d. Catherine Haigh and Hannah Congdon, 2022 + Q&A with the directors, presented by We Are Doc Women & Dartmouth Films at The Castle Cinema (19 MAR 14:30).
- YOUR NAME aka Kimi no na wa d. Shinkai Makoto, 2016 + Intro by Dr Rayna Denison at Japan House London (19 MAR 15:00 – FREE!).
MONDAY 20 MAR
- Classic Matinée: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S d. Blake Edwards, 1961 at Regent Street Cinema (20 MAR 13:00).
- EMILY d. Frances O’Connor, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (20 MAR 20:00 / 21 MAR 20:00 / 22 MAR 20:00 / 26 MAR 17:00).
- LITTLE ENGLISH d. Pravesh Kumar, 2023 + Q&A with the director, producer Amanda Dorsett, actors Rameet Rauli & Viraj Juneja at Rio Cinema (20 MAR 18:15).
- Horror Movie Monday: MARDI GRAS MASSACRE d. Jack Weis, 1978 presented by Violent World x Devil’s Botany at The Last Tuesday Society (20 MAR 18:30).
- MURIEL’S WEDDING d. P.J. Hogan, 1994 curated by Nat Funni & presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (20 MAR 19:00).
- OUR RIVER… OUR SKY d. Maysoon Pachachi, 2021 + Intro/Q&A with the director at The Garden Cinema (20 MAR 19:30).
- Culture Shock: SPRING BREAKERS d. Harmony Korine, 2012 at Picturehouse Cinemas (20 MAR various).
- Unlikely Lives: SUBJECT d. Jennifer Tiexiera, 2021 at The Lexi Cinema (20 MAR 18:20).
- DIY Double Feature: WHO DONE IT: THE CLUE DOCUMENTARY d. Jeff C. Smith, 2022 at The Prince Charles (20 MAR 18:00) + CLUE d. Jonathan Lynn, 1985 at The Prince Charles (20 MAR 20:30).
- WHO’S AFRAID OF KATHY ACKER? d. Barbara Caspar, 2007 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (20 MAR 19:30).
TUESDAY 21 MAR
- EMILY d. Frances O’Connor, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (21 MAR 20:00 / 22 MAR 20:00 / 26 MAR 17:00).
- HAPPENING d. Audrey Diwan, 2021 presented by Richmond Film Society at The Exchange (21 MAR 20:00).
- Preview: INFINITY POOL d. Brandon Cronenberg, 2023 + Q&A with MUFX designer Dan Martin, presented by Evolution of Horror Podcast at Genesis Cinema (21 MAR 18:00).
- LENNY d. Bob Fosse, 1974 presented by Tufnell Park Film Club at The Lord Palmerston (21 MAR 20:00).
- LUNANA: A YAK IN THE CLASSROOM d. Pawo Choyning Dorji, 2019 at The David Lean (21 MAR 19:30).
- NEAPOLITAN DIARY aka Diario napoletano d. Francesco Rosi, 1992 presented in-venue & online by Sands Films Cinema Club at Sands Films Studios (21 MAR 20:00 – Donation requested!).
- THE PERFECT STORY d. Michelle Shephard, 2022 + Q&A with the director & BBC Africa Editor Mary Harper at Frontline Club (21 MAR 19:00).
- Plain Sight Short Film Night + Panel discussion at Riverside Studios (21 MAR 20:00).
- Return to Twin Peaks in Bar Paragon at Genesis Cinema (21 MAR 18:45).
WEDNESDAY 22 MAR
- THE CHASE d. Arthur Ripley, 1946 presented by Kennington Noir at The Cinema Museum (22 MAR 19:30).
- EMILY d. Frances O’Connor, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (22 MAR 20:00 / 26 MAR 17:00).
- EMPIRE OF LIGHT d. Sam Mendes, 2022 at The David Lean (22 MAR 19:30).
- THE FLAVOUR OF GREEN TEA OVER RICE d. Ozu Yasujirō, 1952 at Japan House London (22 MAR 18:00 – FREE!).
- Pink Palace: MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDRETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 + Intro/discussion in the basement bar at Rio Cinema (22 MAR 20:00).
- NAKED LUNCH d. David Cronenberg, 1992 at The Prince Charles (22 MAR 12:45).
- Queer Archiving: Lavinia’s Walking Tour of Hackney short film premiere + Q&A with Lavinia at VFD (22 MAR 19:30).
- Trans-forming Trans-missions short film programme raising funds for Queercare and Trans Well-being Team at Spanners (22 MAR 19:00).
- WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE d. Todd Solondz, 1995 presented by Jellied Reels at The Castle Cinema (22 MAR 21:00).
- THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY d. Ken Loach, 2006 at The Garden Cinema (22 MAR 15:25).
THURSDAY 23 MAR
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (23 MAR 19:30).
- ANTIDOTE d. Marc Silver, 2023 + Q&A at Bertha DocHouse (23 MAR 18:20).
- BROKER d. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022 at The David Lean (23 MAR 14:30 & 19:30).
- DEATH PROOF d. Quentin Tarantino, 2007 presented by Ghouls Magazine Film Club at True Romance (23 MAR 19:00).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (23 MAR 20:45).
- THEY LIVE d. John Carpenter, 1988 + Intro/discussion with Nick Walker, presented by Cult Classic Collective at Genesis Cinema (23 MAR 18:35).
16MM SCREENINGS at The Castle Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE RED SHOES 16mm d. Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger, 1948 (23 MAR 19:30).
- Presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club.
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY 35mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2005 – 2012 (19 MAR 14:15); AMARCORD 35mm d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (21 MAR 15:15); STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (21 MAR 18:00); THE GODFATHER : PART II 35mm d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1974 (23 MAR 12:15); BEFORE SUNSET 35mm d. Richard Linklater, 2004 (23 MAR 16:15).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (18 MAR 20:15 / 22 MAR 14:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS d. David F. Sandberg, 2023 (17 to 23 MAR); JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (23 to 30 MAR).
- ANIME: YOUR NAME d. Makoto Shinkai, 2016 + Intro by Michael Leader & Jake Cunningham, co-hosts of Ghibliotheque podcast (19 MAR 11:45).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TRISTANA d. Luis Buñuel, 1970 (22 MAR 18:10).
A LUKAS MOODYSSON SELECTROSPECTIVE at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): TOGETHER aka Tillsammans d. Lukas Moodysson, 1998 (23 MAR 18:15).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (20 MAR 21:00 / 21 MAR 15:30 / 22 MAR 15:20).
AU CONTRAIRE: JEAN-LUC GODARD at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): FIRST NAME: CARMEN d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1983 (17 MAR 20:15 / 19 MAR 20:15); WEEKEND d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1967 (18 MAR 18:00); DETECTIVE d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1985 (23 MAR 20:15).
BAR TRASH: TRASH OR TREASURE? at Rule Zero & Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC d. John Boorman, 1977 (22 MAR 20:45 at Genesis Cinema’s Studio 4).
- Presented by Token Homo.
BRING ME THE FILMS OF SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (21 MAR 18:00).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- Includes (check venue for full listings): WHO DONE IT: THE CLUE DOCUMENTARY d. Jeff C. Smith, 2022 (20 MAR 18:00); CLUE d. Jonathan Lynn, 1985 (20 MAR 20:30).
CLASSICS at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID d. George Roy Hill, 1969 (19 MAR 14:20).
COEN BROTHERS ON 35MM at Everyman Screen On The Green
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE LADYKILLERS 35mm d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2004 (18 MAR 22:30 / 22 MAR 10:30).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up Film Centre
- Includes (check venue for full listings): RADIO ON + DISCONTENT d. Chris Petit, 1979 + 2023, fundraiser screening (18 MAR 20:15 + Intro by the director).
THE FILMS OF MICHAEL MANN at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MIAMI VICE d. Michael Mann, 2006 (21 MAR 20:45).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLACK GIRL d. Ousmane Sembène, 1966 (18 MAR 16:15); ATLANTICS d. Mati Diop, 2019 (18 MAR 20:30); TOUKI BOUKI d. Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973 + Intro by Bamba Diop (20 MAR 15:00); THE WIND d. Souleymane Cissé, 1982 (23 MAR 18:00 + Intro/discussion with Sarah Jilani).
FROM THE REQUEST BOARD… at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings: JSA – JOINT SECURITY AREA d. Park Chan-wook, 2000 (22 MAR 21:00).
THE IMAGE SPEAKS: A KAREL REISZ RETROSPECTIVE at Chiswick Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): NIGHT MUST FALL d. Karel Reisz, 1964 + Q&A with Susan Hampshire & Phillip Bergson (19 MAR 17:00 / 20 MAR 20:00 – No Q&A).
JEAN-LUC GODARD: PERSPECTIVES at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PASSION d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1982 (19 MAR 14:00 / 21 MAR 18:00 + Intro by Tony Rayns).
MOIS DE LA FRANCOPHONIE 2023 at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables d. Léa Mysius, 2022 + Q&A with the director, presented by Reclaim The Frame (19 MAR 16:00); AU REVOIR LE BONHEUR aka Goodbye Happiness d. Ken Scott, 2021 (22 MAR 18:15 – FREE!).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): POLICE STORY TRILOGY (17 MAR 18:00 – 4K); JOHN WICK TRILOGY (18 MAR 11:30); THE PRINCESS BRIDE & LABYRINTH – Double Feature (18 MAR 12:30); THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY 35mm (19 MAR 14:15).
OBSESSIONS at Bertha DocHouse
- Includes (check venue for full listings): INFINITE FOOTBALL d. Corneliu Porumboiu, 2018 (17 MAR 18:20 / 20 MAR 18:20 / 22 MAR 20:30); PROJECT PIPE DREAMS d. Manus Fraser, 2021 + Q&A with the director (18 MAR 15:00); THE JOYCEAN SOCIETY d. Dora García, 2013 (18 MAR 18:00 / 21 MAR 18:20); RECORDER: THE MARION STOKES PROJECT d. Matt Wolf, 2019 (19 MAR 18:00 / 21 MAR 20:00 / 22 MAR 16:20); GEOGRAPHIES OF SOLITUDE d. Jacquelyn Mills, 2022 (19 MAR 15:30).
THROWBACK SEASON at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): THE MUMMY d. Stephen Sommers, 1999 (19 MAR various).
WORLD CINEMA PASSPORT SEASON at Everyman Belsize Park
- Includes (check venue for listings): RASHOMON d. Akira Kurosawa, 1950 (19 MAR 12:45 / 22 MAR 18:00).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): AS TEARS GO BY d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 (17 MAR 12:40 – 4K / 21 MAR 21:00); IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 (18 MAR 21:00 / 22 MAR 12:25 – 4K); HAPPY TOGETHER d. Wong Kar Wai, 1997 (19 MAR 12:00 – 4K); CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (20 MAR 12:40 – 4K).
- BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (16 to 26 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- St Patrick’s Film Festival (17 to 19 MAR).
- WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
RYE LANE dir. Raine Allen Miller, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Watermans
Also 17 to 23 MAR (various dates/times):
- OTHER PEOPLE’S CHILDREN aka Les enfants des autres d. Rebecca Zlotowski, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière.
- WINNERS d. Hassan Nazer, 2023 at: Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.