THURSDAY 19 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director & The Final Girls at The Prince Charles (19 AUG 18:15).
- “Britain, 1985. When film censor Enid (Niamh Algar) discovers an eerie horror that speaks directly to her sister’s mysterious disappearance, she resolves to unravel the puzzle behind the film and its enigmatic director – a quest that will blur the lines between fiction and reality in terrifying ways.”
- ANNIHILATION d. Alex Garland, 2018 at The Prince Charles (19 AUG 12:30).
- BIG WEDNESDAY 35MM d. John Milius, 1978 at BFI Southbank (19 AUG 17:50).
- CENSOR d. Prano Bailey-Bond, 2021 + Q&A with the director at The Prince Charles (19 AUG 18:15).
- ESCHER: JOURNEY INTO INFINITY d. Robin Lutz, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (19 AUG 21:00).
- LA HAINE d. Mathieu Kassovitz, 1995 with a FREE pint of Truman’s at Genesis Cinema (19 AUG 18:40).
- THE LITTLE FOXES 35MM d. William Wyler, 1941 at BFI Southbank (19 AUG 17:40).
- THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER 35MM d. William Keighley, 1942 at BFI Southbank (19 AUG 20:40).
- OUR LADIES d. Michael Caton-Jones, 2019 + Satellite Q&A at Everyman Cinemas (19 AUG various).
- PULP FICTION 16MM d. Quentin Tarantino, 1994 presented by Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 19:30 / 22 AUG 13:45 / 26 AUG 19:30 / 29 AUG 13:30).
- RAGING BULL d. Martin Scorsese, 1980 at Olympic Studios (19 AUG 20:40).
- THE ROOM d. Tommy Wiseau, 2003 at The Prince Charles (19 AUG 21:20).
- TIE ME UP, TIE ME DOWN! aka Atame! d. Pedro Almodóvar, 1989 at BFI Southbank (19 AUG 14:15).
- TWO-LANE BLACKTOP d. Monte Hellman, 1971 at ICA (19 AUG 18:30).
- UNCUT GEMS 35MM d. Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie, 2019 at The Prince Charles (19 AUG 15:15).
- WRITING WITH FIRE d. Rintu Thomas & Sushmit Ghosh, 2021 at Bertha DocHouse (19 AUG 16:20).
- BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY’S d. Blake Edwards, 1961 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (19 AUG 20:15).
- DONNIE DARKO d. Richard Kelly, 2001 at Cycle-In-Cinema presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (19 AUG 18:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
- IN THE HEIGHTS d. Jon M. Chu, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (19 AUG 20:30).
- THE IRON GIANT d. Brad Bird, 1999 at Cycle-In-Cinema presented by Stow Film Lounge at Pimp Hall Park, Chingford E4 (19 AUG 15:30+ – FREE!/No booking required).
- KNIVES OUT d. Rian Johnson, 2019 at The Luna Cinema at Chiswick Houe (19 AUG 20:15).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (from 17 AUG).
- S.O.U.L. Fest (18 to 22 AUG).
BLOW IT TO BITS aka On va tout péter d. Lech Kowalski, 2019 at ICA (13 to 19 AUG various times).
- Also (13 to 19 AUG various dates/times): THE COURIER at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinemas / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Watermans // I’M YOUR MAN d. Maria Schrader, 2021 at Barbican / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Riverside Studios // JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at ICA / Kino Bermondsey / The Prince Charles // MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema (+Q&A) / Regent Street Cinema // NEW ORDER d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ICA // NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI Southbank // SOLDIER’S WOMAN d. Patricia Wiesse Risso, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // WILDLAND d. Jeanette Nordahl, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.