WEDNESDAY 18 AUGUST 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE AMERICAN FRIEND 35MM aka Der amerikanische Freund d. Wim Wenders, 1977 at The Prince Charles (18 AUG 17:45).
- “In THE AMERICAN FRIEND, acclaimed director Wim Wenders transforms Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley’s Game into a gripping European noir. Professional frame maker Jonathan (Bruno Ganz) has been diagnosed with a terminal blood disease. A chance encounter with the enigmatic Tom Ripley (Dennis Hopper) offers him a way to ensure a stable future for his family. But as Jonathan embarks on his new and dangerous role, Tom questions his motives for involving his new friend.Superbly shot by Robbie Müller, Wim Wenders draws on his love of American cinema and pays homage to the B-movie and Film Noir tradition. The result is one of his finest films.”
- African Odysseys present: A WARM DECEMBER 35MM d. Sidney Poitier, 1973 + Intro by actor Esther Anderson at BFI Southbank (18 AUG 20:40).
- AHEAD OF THE CURVE d. Jen RaininRivkah & Beth Medow, 202 at Watermans (18 AUG 19:00).
- THE AMERICAN FRIEND 35MM aka Der amerikanische Freund d. Wim Wenders, 1977 at The Prince Charles (18 AUG 17:45).
- BHAJI ON THE BEACH d. Gurinder Chadha, 1993 at Catford Mews (18 AUG 18:15).
- BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE d. Paul Mazursky, 1969 + Recorded Intro by Julie Lobalzo Wright, University of Warwick at BFI Southbank (18 AUG 17:50).
- DANGEROUS 35MM d. Alfred E Green, 1935 at BFI Southbank (18 AUG 18:10).
- HUSH… HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE 4K d. Robert Aldrich, 1964 at BFI Southbank (18 AUG 14:30).
- MIRROR d. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974 at ICA (18 AUG 18:30).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 + Short: SUNDAY AFTERNOON AT DENNY’S at Screen25 Cinema at Harris Academy South Norwood (18 AUG 19:45).
- THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE 35MM d. Tobe Hooper, 1974 at The Prince Charles (18 AUG 12:45 & 21:00).
- WILD AT HEART d. David Lynch, 1990 at The Prince Charles (18 AUG 20:30).
- GODZILLA VS KONG d. Adam Wingard, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (18 AUG 20:15).
- ROMEO + JULIET d. Baz Luhrmann, 1996 at The Luna Cinema at Chiswick House (18 AUG 20:15).
- SPICE WORLD d. Bob Spiers, 1997 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (18 AUG 20:30).
- The Blue Tick Festival (10 to 19 AUG).
- Everyman Music Film Festival (from 17 AUG).
- S.O.U.L. Fest (18 to 22 AUG).
BLOW IT TO BITS aka On va tout péter d. Lech Kowalski, 2019 at ICA (13 to 19 AUG various times).
- Also (13 to 19 AUG various dates/times): THE COURIER at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinemas / JW3 / Kino Bermondsey / Olympic Studios / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios / Watermans // I’M YOUR MAN d. Maria Schrader, 2021 at Barbican / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Riverside Studios // JOSEE, THE TIGER AND THE FISH d. Kôtarô Tamura, 2020 at ICA / Kino Bermondsey / The Prince Charles // MINAMATA d. Andrew Levitas, 2020 at Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema (+Q&A) / Regent Street Cinema // NEW ORDER d. Michel Franco, 2020 at ICA // NOW, VOYAGER d. Irving Rapper, 1942 at BFI Southbank // SOLDIER’S WOMAN d. Patricia Wiesse Risso, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // WILDLAND d. Jeanette Nordahl, 2021 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.