FRIDAY 21 MAY 2021 (A–Z) // Films screening in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
CAUTIONARY NOTE: This listing was compiled before more cinemas announced their reopening dates. It will be updated today (21 MAY) & we will post a new SCREEN GUIDE for the full week [21 to 27 MAY] later the same day.
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 at Picturehouse Central (21 MAY 14:50).
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70MM ‘unrestored version’ d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 at The Prince Charles (21 MAY 20:01).
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (21 MAY 14:40).
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 1998 presented by Crofton Park Pictures at Rivoli Ballroom (21 MAY 19:30).
- CALIFORNIA SPLIT d. Robert Altman, 1974 at BFI Southbank (21 MAY 17:50)
- CAR WASH 35MM d. Michael Schultz, 1976 + Intro by Gurinder Chadha (21 MAY 20:55).
- DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 + Intro by Tricia Tuttle, BFI Festivals Director at BFI Southbank (21 MAY 18:00).
- GET OUT d. Jordan Peele, 2017 at Picturehouse Central (21 MAY 20:30).
- THE HUMAN VOICE d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2020 + Pre-recorded Q&A with Tilda Swinton and Pedro Almodóvar hosted by Mark Kermode at The Lexi Cinema (21 MAY 21:00).
- THE LAST PICTURE SHOW (Director’s Cut) d. Peter Bogdanovich, 1971 (21 MAY 20:30).
- MAGIC MIKE d. Steven Soderbergh, 2012 at Backyard Cinema (21 MAY 20:00).
- MCCABE & MRS MILLER 4K d. Robert Altman, 1971 at BFI Southbank (21 MAY 14:30);
- MY DONKEY, MY LOVER & I aka Antoinette dans les Cévennes d. Caroline Vignal, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (21 MAY 20:35)
- POLY STYRENE: I AM A CLICHÉ d. Celeste Bell & Paul Sng, 2021 at Catford Mews (21 MAY 18:15).
- QUEEN & SLIM d. Melina Matsoukas, 2019 at Picturehouse Central (21 MAY 15:15).
- RARE BEASTS d. Billie Piper, 2020 + Intro/Q&A streamed live ahead of the film at Everyman Cinemas (21 MAY 19:40 – various venues).
- RARE BEASTS d. Billie Piper, 2019 at BFI Southbank (21 MAY 21:00).
- SPRING BLOSSOM d. Suzanne Lindon, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (21 MAY 20:40).
- STATE FUNERAL d. Sergei Loznitsa, 2019 at Ciné Lumière (21 MAY 18:00 – main featured image).
- WINGS OF DESIRE d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at Picturehouse Central (21 MAY 12:30).
- GURUMBÉ: AFRO-ANDALUSIAN MEMORIES aka Gurumbé: Canciones de tu memoria negra d. Miguel Ángel Rosales, 2016 + Discussion at BIMI (21 MAY 18:00 – FREE ONLINE EVENT).
- QUO VADIS, AIDA? d. Jasmila Zbanic, 2020 + Discussion with the director & journalist Janine di Giovanni at Frontline Club (21 MAY 19:00 – FREE ONLINE EVENT).
- BLACK PANTHER d. Ryan Coogler, 2018 at Drive In Film Club at Alexandra Palace (21 MAY 20:45).
- DIRTY DANCING d. Emile Ardolino, 1987 at HideAway Film Club at Honourable Artillery Company, EC1Y (21 MAY 21:30).
- GODZILLA VS KONG d. Adam Wingard, 2021 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (21 MAY 22:30).
- GREASE d. Randal Kleiser, 1978 at HideAway Film Club at Honourable Artillery Company, EC1Y (21 MAY 17:30).
- MORTAL KOMBAT d. Simon McQuoid, 2021 at The Drive In at Troubadour Meridian Water (21 MAY 19:45).
- NOTTING HILL d. Roger Michell, 1999 at Rooftop Film Club, Stratford East (21 MAY 21:00).
- SOUND OF METAL d. Darius Marder, 2019 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (21 MAY 21:00).
- TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at Drive In Film Club at Brent Cross (21 MAY 18:00).
- Beyond Words: French Literature Festival (17 to 23 MAY)
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (01 APR to 03 JUN)
- Kinoteka: The 19th Polish Film Festival (06 MAY to 04 JUN 2021)
SOUND OF METAL d. Darius Marder, 2019 + Recorded Q&A at Archlight Cinema (daily).
- Zodiac Film Club x Final Girls Berlin present Sci-Fi Shorts at The Castle Cinema (24 AUG 2022)
- Bermondsey Project Space presents Loops + Q&A (13 AUG 2022)
- Crap Film Club presents THE SWORD AND THE CLAW at The Old Queen’s Head (22 AUG 2022)
- Queer Horror Nights presents POSSESSOR at The Castle Cinema (19 AUG 2022).
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.