MONDAY 01 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 + Live score by The Cornish Sound Unit at BFI Southbank (01 MAY 18:40).
“To coincide with the BFI Player and dual format release of ENYS MEN, we’re thrilled to be presenting the film with a live score that sonically reimagines its source material. It will be performed by writer-director Mark Jenkin and Dion Star, known under the banner of their collaborative music project ‘The Cornish Sound Unit’, who employ improvised and composed pieces using tape machines, analogue synths, feedback and field recordings.” (BFI)
- THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN d. Martin McDonagh, 2022 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (01 MAY 19:30).
- EMPIRE OF LIGHT d. Sam Mendes, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (01 MAY 20:00 / 02 MAY 20:00 / 03 MAY 20:00 / 07 MAY 17:00).
- ENYS MEN d. Mark Jenkin, 2022 + Live score by The Cornish Sound Unit at BFI Southbank (01 MAY 18:40).
- Classic Monday Matinée: HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE d. Jean Negulesco, 1953 + Live organ recital at Regent Street Cinema (01 MAY 13:00).
Check venues for full listings…
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY 70mm d. Stanley Kubrick, 1968 (01 MAY 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- PLAYTIME d. Jacques Tati, 1967 (01 MAY 13:15).
- ANIME: SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (01 MAY 10:30).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: INCEPTION IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2010 (01 MAY 20:00).
A LI’L BIT OF LUIS BUÑUEL at The Prince Charles
- THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE d. Luis Buñuel, 1973 (01 MAY 15:50 – £1 Members Film).
BEN WHEATLEY PRESENTS at Picturehouse Cinemas
- A FIELD IN ENGLAND d. Ben Wheatley, 2013 (01 MAY various).
- SIGHTSEERS d. Ben Wheatley, 2012 (01 MAY 20:15 – Picturehouse Central).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- L’ARGENT aka Money d. Robert Bresson, 1983 (01 MAY 13:30).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- JOURNEY TO THE WEST d. Kong Dashan, 2021 (01 MAY 20:30).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- THE CAT O’ NINE TAILS aka Il gatto a nove code 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1971 (01 MAY 18:20).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- BAMAKO d. Abderrahmane Sissako, 2006 (01 MAY 15:00).
KIEŚLOWSKI’S THREE COLOURS at The Prince Charles
- THREE COLOURS TRILOGY d. Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1993-1994 (01 MAY 12:00 – 4K).
MOVIE MARATHONS at The Prince Charles
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- THE SEVENTH VEIL 35mm d. Compton Bennett, 1945 + Short: THE ENGLISH INN d. Muriel Box, 1941 (01 MAY 13:00).
- GOOD-TIME GIRL 35mm d. David MacDonald, 1947 (01 MAY 15:40).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- RYE LANE (01 MAY 20:30).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- FIGHT CLUB (01 MAY 20:20).
- Cine Latino (24 APR to 07 MAY).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Leytonstone Loves Film Saturday Cinema (29 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
- The Tufnell Park Film Club Shorter Film Festival (30 APR).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 14 MAY).
Also 28 APR to 04 MAY (various dates/times):
- ALIS dir Clare Weiskopf & Nicolas van Hemelryck, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- BIG GEORGE FOREMAN: THE MIRACULOUS STORY OF THE ONCE & FUTURE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD dir George Tillman Jr., 2023 at: Catford Mews / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema.
- DOSED: THE TRIP OF A LIFETIME dir Tyler Chandler & Nicholas Meyers, 2022 at: Genesis Cinema.
- LEAVING TO REMAIN dir Mira Erdevički, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / ICA.
- LOVE ACCORDING TO DALVA dir Emmanuelle Nicot, 2022 at: The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / The Garden Cinema / ICA.
- THE PASSION OF REMEMBRANCE dir Isaac Julien & Maureen Blackwood, 1986 at: BFI / ICA.
- SARURA dir Nicola Zambelli, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI – 40TH ANNIVERSARY d. Richard Marquand, 1983 at (28 APR to 01 MAY): Curzon Mayfair / The Ritzy.
- YOUNG SOUL REBELS dir Isaac Julien, 1991 at: BFI / ICA.
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.