MONDAY 04 APRIL 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
Ukraine Fundraiser: PADDINGTON d. Paul King, 2014 + Intro by the director presented in Ukrainian with English subtitles & featuring the voice of the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy, by The Writers Guild of Great Britain at The Cinema Museum (04 APR 19:30):
“This screening is a chance for us to come together and support our fellow creatives in need. All money raised will go to The International Coalition for Filmmakers at Risk’s Emergency Fund for Filmmakers, a fund for film practitioners directly in danger due to the ongoing war in Ukraine.” (WGGB)
- Ukraine Fundraiser – Encounters: Ukrainian Shorts at The Lexi Cinema (04 APR 18:30).
- FRANCES HA d. Noah Baumbach, 2012 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (04 APR 19:30).
- LA FAMILLE BELIER d. Eric Lartigau, 2014 at Phoenix Cinema (04 APR 17:45).
- MOTHERING SUNDAY d. Eva Husson, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (04 APR 20:00 / 05 APR 20:00 / 06 APR 20:00 / 10 APR 17:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: PADDINGTON d. Paul King, 2014 + Intro by the director presented in Ukrainian with English subtitles and featuring the voice of the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelenskyy by The Writers Guild of Great Britain at The Cinema Museum (04 APR 19:30).
- WALL-E d. Andrew Stanton, 2008 + Panel Discussion: A World Without Waste presented by Library of Things at The Prince Charles (04 APR 18:10 – £1 Member’s Screening).
- No Ticket Required: Online discussion of FLEE d. Jonas Poher Rasmussen, 2021 with Michael Brooke at Watermans (04 APR 20:00 – Watch film beforehand).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 06 APR various); BLAST FROM THE PAST 35mm d. Hugh Wilson, 1999 (04 APR 18:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MASTER 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (04 APR 15:05).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BELLADONNA OF SADNESS 4K aka Kanashimi no Belladonna d. Eiichi Yamamoto, 1973 + Intro by Helen McCarthy (04 APR 20:30).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (04 APR 20:35).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MIRACLE WOMAN d. Frank Capra, 1931 (04 APR 18:20).
BRENDAN FRASER at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BLAST FROM THE PAST 35mmd. Hugh Wilson, 1999 (04 APR 18:00).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): BEDTIME STORY d. Ralph Levy, 1964 (04 APR 18:30).
JOACHIM TRIER’S OSLO TRILOGY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): OSLO, AUGUST 31ST d. Joachim Trier, 2011 (04 APR 12:50); REPRISE d. Joachim Trier, 2006 (04 APR 21:00).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Re-release: CRIES & WHISPERS aka Viskningar och rop d. Ingmar Bergman, 1972 (01 to 14 APR).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR d. Rudolph Cartier, 1954 + Panel Discussion: Nineteen Eighty-Four and the legacy of Nigel Kneale (04 APR 18:30).
SEASCAPES: OUR OCEANS ON SCREENat Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for listings): SONG OF THE SEA d. Tomm Moore, 2014 (04 APR 16:00).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (01 to 10 APR).
- The People’s Film Festival (02 to 09 APR).
- South Social Film Festival – Nordic Focus (02 APR).
- Spanish Spring Weekend (01 to 03 APR).
- Also 01 to 07 APR (various dates/times): LA FAMILLE BELIER dir. Eric Lartigau, 2014 at: Picturehouse Cinemas // THE NOVICE dir. Laura Hadaway, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // ONE OF THESE DAYS dir. Bastian Günther, 2020 at: Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas // REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES dir. Kiwi Chow, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas // TRUE THINGS dir. Harry Wootliff, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios // XUETA ISLAND dir. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3.
- Lost Vampires presents the UK premiere of HABIT + Q&A with Larry Fessenden at ICA (20 OCT 2022)
- BIG BOYS DON’T CRY + Q&A raising funds for NAPAC at Everyman Borough Yards (03 OCT 2022)
- Fragments Festival returns to Genesis Cinema (29 SEP to 02 OCT 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.