MONDAY: What’s on in London today [06/03/23]
MONDAY 06 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
SQUIRRELS TO THE NUTS d. Peter Bogdanovich, 2014 raising funds for Parkinson’s UK at The Prince Charles (06 MAR 20:30).
“You saved one of my best pictures… Can’t thank you enough, James, you’re a real trooper!” – Peter Bogdanovich, director of The Last Picture Show, What’s Up, Doc? and Paper Moon, in an email to City University of New York Professor James Kenney after Kenney shared his discovery of the only existing copy of Bogdanovich’s Squirrels to the Nuts, his vastly different original cut of She’s Funny That Way.”
“Heavily cut, substantially reshot, and burdened with a painfully explicit voice-over narration, Peter Bogdanovich’s final theatrical feature was released in 2014 under the title She’s Funny That Way and quickly disappeared from view. Miraculously, Bogdanovich’s full original cut, running 113 minutes and titled Squirrels to the Nuts in homage to Ernst Lubitsch’s Cluny Brown, was saved from oblivion by Kenney, who discovered a high-definition video master of the Bogdanovich edit on eBay.”
“Squirrels to the Nuts in its original cut is unexpurgated Bogdanovich, the Oscar-nominated filmmaker creating a rich, absurdist universe of uncommon, unforgettable characters who constantly surprise us, in a cockeyed, original romantic comedy of adultery, destiny and sexual compulsion spun by him and co-writer/producer Louise Stratten. On Monday 6th March at a screening benefitting Parkinson’s UK, you will have the opportunity to see, in its first European screening, this “small miracle,” which plays as a proper climax to Bogdanovich’s storied career.” (The PCC)
- A FANTASTIC WOMAN aka Una Mujer Fantástica d. Sebastián Lelio, 2017 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (06 MAR 19:00).
- FASHION REIMAGINED d. Becky Hutner, 2022 + Q&A with the director at The Lexi Cinema (06 MAR 18:20).
- Monday Classic Matinée: FUNNY FACE d. Stanley Donen, 1957 + Live organ recital at Regent Street Cinema (06 MAR 13:00).
- Open Shorts Night presented by Raindance at Wonderville (06 MAR 19:00).
- PEACE BY CHOCOLATE d. Jonathan Kejiser, 2021 presented by Telefilm Canada & the High Commission of Canada at Genesis Cinema (06 MAR 18:30).
- PEE-WEE’S BIG ADVENTURE d. Tim Burton, 1985 curated by Nat Funni, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (06 MAR 19:00).
- POSSESSION d. Andrzej Zulawski, 1981 + Discussion presented by Fleshed Out Cinema Club at SET Social (06 MAR 19:30).
- SQUIRRELS TO THE NUTS d. Peter Bogdanovich, 2014, raising funds for Parkinson’s UK at The Prince Charles (06 MAR 20:30).
- WATCHER d. Chloe Okuno, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (06 MAR 20:00 / 07 MAR 20:00 / 08 MAR 20:00 / 12 MAR 17:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- CINEMA PARADISO 35mm aka Nuovo Cinema Paradiso d. Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988 (06 MAR 12:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (06 MAR 14:45).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- CREED III d. Michael B. Jordan, 2023 (03 to 09 MAR).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 (06 MAR 17:35 & 20:25).
- BLUE JEAN d. Georgia Oakley, 2022 (06 MAR 18:00).
THE IMAGE SPEAKS: A KAREL REISZ RETROSPECTIVE at Chiswick Cinema
- WE ARE THE LAMBETH BOYS d. Karel Reisz, 1959 (06 MAR 20:00).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 25= AU HASARD BALTHAZAR d. Robert Bresson, 1966 (06 MAR 18:30).
- 2= VERTIGO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1958 (06 MAR 20:30).
- 5= IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar-wai, 2000 (06 MAR 20:40).
- 21= LATE SPRING aka Banshun d. Yasujirô Ozu, 1949 (06 MAR 20:45).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (06 MAR 18:00).
- SAINT MAUD d. Rose Glass, 2019 (06 MAR 18:15 – £1 Members’ Film).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- DAYS OF BEING WILD d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 (06 MAR 15:40).
- Busting the Bias (03 to 05 MAR).
- Cinema Made In Italy (09 to 13 MAR).
- Donne di Mafia, Having a Voice (04 to 05 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- Stardance Animation Festival (03 to 12 MAR).
CLOSE dir Lukas Dhont, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
CREED III dir Michael B Jordan, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
FASHION REIMAGINED dir Becky Hutner, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / The Castle Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 03 to 09 MAR (various dates/times):
- BUCK AND THE PREACHER d. Sidney Poitier, 1972 at: Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- ELECTRIC MALADY d. Marie Lidén, 2022 at: ICA.
- EVA’S PROMISE d. Steve McCarthy, 2022 at: JW3 (from 06 MAR).
- I’M FINE (THANKS FOR ASKING) d. Angelique Molina & Kelley Kali, 2021 at: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- SUBJECT d. Camilla Hall & Jennifer Tiexier, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.