MONDAY: What’s on in London today [08/05/23]
MONDAY 08 MAY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
THE CASTLE d. Rob Sitch, 1997 presented by London Australian Film Society at The Garden Cinema (08 MAY 18:30).
“Its 25th Anniversary outing was one of the hits of last year’s London Australian Film Festival, and now the London Australian Film Society return on May 8 (MATE!) for their first annual screening of this Australian comedy classic.”
“When the Kerrigan’s airport-adjacent family home is threatened with compulsory acquisition, sweet-natured patriarch Darryl (Michael Caton) takes his fight all the way to the High Court. An Ealing Comedy transposed to Melbourne’s outer suburbs, this low budget marvel, from the team behind TV’s D-Generation and The Late Show became an instant cult classic, full of quotable quips and mountains of bathos.”
“How’s the serenity?” (The Garden Cinema)
- THE CASTLE d. Rob Sitch, 1997 presented by London Australian Film Society at The Garden Cinema (08 MAY 18:30).
- Classic Matinée: THE KING AND I d. Charles Walters, 1956 at Regent Street Cinema (08 MAY 13:00).
- LIVING d. Oliver Hermanus, 2022 + Recorded conversation between Bill Nighy & Stephen Woolley at Picturehouse Cinemas (08 MAY various / 09 MAY 19:15).
- LIVING d. Oliver Hermanus, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (08 MAY 20:00 / 09 MAY 20:00 / 10 MAY 20:00 / 14 MAY 17:00).
- Problematic Faves: PARTY MONSTER d. Fenton Bailey & Randy Barbato, 2003 presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (08 MAY 19:00).
- SPRING BREAKERS d. Harmony Korine, 2012 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (08 MAY 19:30).
- TOP HAT d. Mark Sandrich, 1935 at Riverside Studios (08 MAY 14:45).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- JURASSIC PARK 35mm d. Steven Spielberg, 1993 (08 MAY 12:15).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (08 MAY 20:15).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY 3D d. James Gunn, 2023 (until 11 MAY).
BEN WHEATLEY PRESENTS at Picturehouse Cinemas
- SIGHTSEERS d. Ben Wheatley, 2012 (08 MAY various).
- A FIELD IN ENGLAND d. Ben Wheatley, 2013 + Q&A with the director at Picturehouse Central (08 MAY 16:45).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- THE RIVER 35mm d. Jean Renoir, 1951 (08 MAY 13:20).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (05 to 11 MAY).
DARIO ARGENTO: DOORS INTO DARKNESS at BFI Southbank
- TRAUMA 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1993 (08 MAY 15:50).
- OPERA 4K Restoration d. Dario Argento, 1987 + Intro by Michael Blyth, season curator (08 MAY 18:30).
- Special events: Strange Phenomena: Argento season introduction (online presentation).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- TIMBUKTU d. Abderrahmane Sissako, 2014 (08 MAY 15:00).
GENA & JOHN at The Prince Charles
- MINNIE AND MOSKOWITZ d. John Cassavetes, 1971 (08 MAY 15:25).
GENESIS 24TH BIRTHDAY at Genesis Cinema
MUKHRIJAT: ARAB WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Garden Cinema
- THE BLUE CAFTAN d. Maryam Touzani, 2022 (05 to 11 MAY).
MURIEL BOX: A WOMAN’S TAKE at BFI Southbank
- EASY MONEY 35mm d. Bernard Knowles, 1947 (08 MAY 16:00).
- SWEET CORNER 35mm aka Both Sides of the Law/ Gentle Arm/The Policewoman d. Muriel Box, 1953 (08 MAY 13:30).
- SIMON AND LAURA 35mm d. Muriel Box, 1955 (08 MAY 18:10).
SPOTLIGHT ON FEMALE FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 aka Cléo de 5 à 7 d. Agnès Varda, 1962 (08 MAY 18:00).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Bussey Building
- COCAINE BEAR (08 MAY 20:45).
ROOFTOP FILM CLUB at Roof East
- MAMMA MIA! (08 MAY 20:35).
- UK Asian Film Festival (04 to 14 MAY).
THE BLUE CAFTAN dir Maryam Touzani, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA
PAMFIR dir Dmytro Sukholytkyy-Sobchuk, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Rio Cinema
RETURN TO SEOUL dir Davy Chou, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
Also 05 to 11 MAY 2023 (various dates/times):
- EFTIHIA dir Angelos Frantzis, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End.
- HARKA d. Lotfy Nathan, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.