MONDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
PREVENGE d. Alice Lowe, 2017 at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 SEP various).
- “About to become a single mother for reasons that are gradually, tantalisingly revealed, heavily pregnant Ruth (Alice Lowe) seeks to wreak revenge on those she deems responsible for her situation – and revenge in this case means a series of grisly murders, all firmly encouraged by the eerie voice of her unborn baby. Written and directed by Alice Lowe, PREVENGE has some of the dark humour of Ben Wheatley’s SIGHTSEERS, in which she co-starred, and a lot more of the not-so-casual violence. It’s an assured low-budget debut.”
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 12:00).
- THE BIG HEAT d. Fritz Lang, 1953 at BFI (13 SEP 21:00).
- BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière (13 SEP 20:35).
- THE CHAMPION OF AUSCHWITZ d. Maciej Barczewski, 2020 at Phoenix Cinema (13 SEP 17:30).
- CITIZEN KANE 35mm d. Orson Welles, 1941 at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 15:15).
- DAVID BYRNE’S AMERICAN UTOPIA d. Spike Lee, 2020 at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 17:30).
- ESCHER: JOURNEY INTO INFINITY d. Robin Lutz, 2018 at Olympic Studios (13 SEP 18:00).
- HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2020 + Recorded Q&A at Everyman Cinemas (13 SEP various).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at Picturehouse Cinemas (daily until 16 SEP);
- LET’S TALK d. Marianne Khoury, 2019 + Recorded Q&A with the director at BFI (13 SEP 18:00).
- MEMORIES OF MURDER aka Salinui chueok d. Bong Joon Ho, 2003 at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 12:20).
- MULHOLLAND DR. 35mm d. David Lynch, 2001 at The Prince Charles (daily 10 to 16 SEP various).
- PREVENGE d. Alice Lowe, 2017 at Picturehouse Cinemas (13 SEP various).
- SLADE 150: NO FILM IS AN ISLAND short films + discussion at Goethe-Institut (13 SEP 19:00).
- SWEETHEART d. Marley Morrison, 2021 + Q&A with the director & actors Nell Barlow and Jo Hartley at BFI Southbank (13 SEP 17:50).
- TO BE SOMEONE d. Ray Burdis, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (13 SEP 20:00).
- WINGS OF DESIRE 35mm aka Der Himmel über Berlin d. Wim Wenders, 1987 at The Prince Charles (13 SEP 18:00).
- No Ticket Required: DEATH IN VENICE + THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BOY IN THE WORLD d. Luchino Visconti + Kristina Lindström & Kristian Petri, 1971, 2021 + Zoom Discussion with Michael Brooke presented by Watermans (13 SEP 20:00 – Watch the films online then register for the free Zoom discussion).
- THE STROKES $2 DOLLAR CONCERT at Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (13 SEP 20:00).
- Banglaverse Film Festival (16 to 18 SEP).
- CASA Festival (01 to 29 SEP).
- Crystal Palace International Film Festval (09 SEP to 02 OCT).
- Ethiopian Film Week (10 to 14 SEP).
- Japanese Avant-garde & Experimental Film Festival (16 to 19 SEP at Barbican / 20 to 30 SEP online). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Leytonstone Loves Film 2021 (15 to 19 SEP).
- Open City Documentary Festival (08 to 14 SEP in venues / 13 to 23 SEP online).
- Peckham & Nunhead Free Film Festival (09 to 19 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Queer East Film Festival (15 to 26 SEP). READ OUR FESTIVAL GUIDE
- Also (10 to 16 SEP various dates/times): HERSELF d. Phyllida Lloyd, 2020 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Riverside Studios // THE SPARKS BROTHERS d. Edgar Wright, 2021 at: The Prince Charles.
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.