MONDAY 14 FEBRUARY 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar-wai, 2000 (14 FEB 20:15) / Part of ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up // Also at Olympic Studios (14 FEB 20:30).
“A swooningly cinematic unfolding of romantic desire, Wong Kar-wai’s IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE paints the industrious world of 1960s Hong Kong in luxuriant color, texture, and sound. This paean to love follows two lonely professionals from the same apartment building who circle each other romantically after they begin to suspect their spouses are having an affair. At once restrained and sensual, the film layers detail upon detail to create a ravishing, hypnotic portrait of urban desire.” (Harvard Film Archive)
- ALI & AVA d. Clio Barnard, 2021 + Recorded Q&A with cast & crew at ArtHouse Crouch End (14 FEB 18:30).
- CICADA d. Matthew Fifer & Kieran Mulcare, 2021 + Q&A with writer-director-actor Matthew Fifer, producer Jeremy Truong & editor Kyle Sims at Rio Cinema (14 FEB 18:30).
- CYRANO: Valentine’s Day Preview d. Joe Wright, 2022 at: The Cinema In The Arches (14 FEB 20:30); Everyman Cinemas (14 FEB various); The Lexi Cinema (14 FEB 20:30); Peckhamplex (14 FEB 20:35); Regent Street Cinema (14 FEB 17:45); Picturehouse Cinemas (14 FEB various).
- ELLIE & ABBIE (& ELLIE’S DEAD AUNT) d. Monica Zanetti, 2020 at Whirled Cinema (14 FEB 20:00 / 15 FEB 20:00 / 16 FEB 20:00 / 20 FEB 17:00).
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at Olympic Studios (14 FEB 20:30).
- PARIS, 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades, Paris 13e d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 preview at: Catford Mews (14 FEB 20:30); Curzon Cinemas (14 FEB various); Genesis Cinema (14 FEB 21:00); The Lexi Cinema (14 FEB 18:00); Peckhamplex (14 FEB 18:30); Rio Cinema (14 FEB 20:45).
- ROMEO + JULIET d. Baz Luhrmann, 1996 at Picturehouse Cinemas (14 FEB various).
- SALÒ, OR THE 120 DAYS OF SODOM aka Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma d. Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1975 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (14 FEB 19:30).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LICORICE PIZZA 35mm & 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2021 (until 03 MAR various); HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2007 (14 FEB 18:00).
ANNIVERSARY SCREENINGS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE PRINCESS BRIDE d. Rob Reiner, 1987 (14 FEB 15:30); HOT FUZZ 35mm d. Edgar Wright, 2007 (14 FEB 18:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: LGBT HISTORY MONTH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): MAURICE d. James Ivory, 1987 (14 FEB 18:00); BEAUTIFUL THING d. Hettie Macdonald, 1996 (14 FEB 20:30).
CÉLINE SCIAMMA at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2020 (14 FEB 20:45).
ESSENTIAL CINEMA at Close-Up
- Includes (check venue for full listings): IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE d. Wong Kar-wai, 2000 (14 FEB 20:15).
FRANÇOIS TRUFFAUT: FOR THE LOVE OF FILMS at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): Re-release: JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 (04 to 17 FEB various).
LOVE STORIES at Genesis Cinema
- Includes (check venue for listings): TRUE ROMANCE d. Tony Scott, 1993 (14 FEB 18:20).
SEEN & HEARD at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): RAFIKI d. Wanuri Kahiu, 2018 (14 FEB 18:20).
STUDIO GHIBLI at Picturehouse Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): PONYO d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2008 (from 12 FEB).
TWO BY RYÛSUKE HAMAGUCHI at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): WHEEL OF FORTUNE AND FANTASY d. Ryûsuke Hamaguchi, 2021 (11 FEB to 02 MAR various).
VALENTINES at Everyman Cinemas
- Includes (check venue for listings): JULES ET JIM aka Jules and Jim d. François Truffaut, 1962 at Everyman Belsize Park (14 FEB 17:30); MOULIN ROUGE! d. Baz Luhrmann, 2001 at Everyman Screen On The Green (14 FEB 20:45).
VALENTINES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): HAROLD AND MAUDE d. Hal Ashby, 1971 (14 FEB 13:15); MOONLIGHT d. Barry Jenkins, 2016 (14 FEB 18:15); PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE d. Céline Sciamma, 2020 (14 FEB 20:45).
We’ve got nothing… what did we miss?
- Also 11 to 17 FEB (various dates/times): DOWNFALL: THE CASE AGAINST BOEING d. Rory Kennedy, 2022 at: Everyman Broadgate // THE FORGOTTEN ONES d. Michale Boganim, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse // THE POWER OF THE DOG 35mm d. Jane Campion, 2021 at: The Prince Charles (from 17 FEB to 03 MAR).
- Brixton Community Cinema presents THE LITTLE GIRL WHO SOLD THE SUN at Brixton Village (02 DEC 2022).
- Cinema of Ideas presents ‘Repetition as Differentiation via LATIFAH AND HIMLI’S NOMADIC UNCLE’ curated by Jemma Desai (online 05 to 20 DEC 2022)
- The Vito Project presents IMITATIONS OF LIFE at The Cinema Museum (18 SEP 2022 to 22 JAN 2023)
- The Social Cinema presents FRAMEBURN at Hackney Brewery & High Hill Taproom (08 SEP to 08 DEC 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.