MONDAY 19 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
NIGHT OF THE KINGS aka La Nuit des rois d. Philippe Lacôte, 2020 + Live spoken word performance presented by We Are Parable at Rio Cinema (19 JUL 18:00) / Part of Who We Are.
- “Spectacular, thrilling and absorbing, NIGHT OF THE KINGS is both an exhilarating tale of survival in one of the world’s most unforgiving environments and a beautiful ode to the power of storytelling.”
- “As part of their nationwide season Who We Are, We Are Parable team up with Rio Cinema to present a special preview screening of NIGHT OF THE KINGS. The screening will feature a live and musical spoken word performance that focuses on the beauty and importance of storytelling in Black culture.”
- AS TEARS GO BY 4K aka Wong Gok ka moon d. Wong Kar Wai, 1988 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 20:45).
- BHAJI ON THE BEACH d. Gurinda Chadha, 1993 at Everyman Cinemas (19 JUL various).
- BINTI d. Frederike Migom, 2019 + Short: YASMINA d. Ali Esmili & Claire Cahen, 2018 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 20:40).
- DAYS OF BEING WILD 4K aka Ah Fei jing juen d. Wong Kar Wai, 1990 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 18:00 & 18:10).
- DISTANT VOICES, STILL LIVES 4K d. Terence Davies, 1988 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 20:50).
- GOOD TIME d. Benny Safdie & Josh Safdie, 2017 at The Prince Charles (19 JUL 18:15).
- HOW TO STOP A RECURRING DREAM d. Ed Morris, 2021 at Catford Mews (19 JUL 18:00) / Part of Black Lens Film Festival.
- IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE 4K aka Fa yeung nin wah d. Wong Kar Wai, 2000 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 14:30).
- THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS d. Peter Jackson, 2002 at The Prince Charles (19 JUL 11:30).
- MANGROVE 9 + RACISM: NOT OUR PROBLEM + Panel Discussion at Catford Mews (19 JUL 15:00) / Part of Black Lens Film Festival.
- MEMORIES OF MURDER d. Salinui chueok d. Bong Joon-ho, 2003 at The Prince Charles (19 JUL 12:00).
- NIGHT OF THE KINGS aka La Nuit des rois d. Philippe Lacôte, 2020 + Live spoken word performance presented by We Are Parable at Rio Cinema (19 JUL 18:00) / Part of Who We Are.
- PRÊT-À-PORTER 35MM d. Robert Altman, 1994 at BFI Southbank (19 JUL 17:40).
- THE TWO LIVES OF ERMAO d. Jia Yuchuan, 2019 at Genesis Cinema (19 JUL 18:30) / Part of Chinese Visual Festival x Queer East.
- UNCUT GEMS 35MM d. Josh Safdie, Benny Safdie 2019 at The Prince Charles (19 JUL 20:45).
- THE DARK KNIGHT d. Christopher Nolan, 2008 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (19 JUL 20:00).
- DUNKIRK d. Christopher Nolan, 2017 at Archlight Outdoor Cinema on the Coaling Jetty, Battersea (19 JUL 17:30).
- MAGIC MIKE d. Steven Soderbergh, 2012 at Bar Elba SE1 (19 JUL 21:00).
- NOMADLAND d. Chloé Zhao, 2020 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Dalston Roof Park (19 JUL 19:30).
- Black Lens Film Festival (16 to 19 JUL).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- Queer East – Pride Season (JUN to JUL).
- SAFAR Film Festival: Generational Encounters in Arab Cinema (01 to 17 JUL).
SUMMER OF SOUL (… OR, WHEN THE REVOLUTION COULD NOT BE TELEVISED) d. Questlove, 2021
- Also (daily 16 to 22 JUL various): BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA d. John Carpenter, 1986 at The Prince Charles // BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Ciné Lumière // NOWHERE SPECIAL d. Uberto Pasolini, 2020 at The Castle Cinema / Everyman Cinemas / The Lexi Cinema / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Watermans // THE STORY OF LOVERS ROCK d. Menelik Shabazz, 2011 at Picturehouse Cinemas (various) // TOP GUN d. Tony Scott, 1986 at The Prince Charles // TWO OF US d. Filippo Meneghetti, 2019 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / JW3 / Regent Street / Rio Cinema.
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.