MONDAY: What’s on in London today [24/04/23]
MONDAY 24 APRIL 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 at various venues, inc: Genesis Cinema (24 APR 18:10); Picturehouse Cinemas (24 APR various); Prince Charles Cinema (24 APR 13:15 & 18:15); Regent Street Cinema (24 APR 18:00).
“JUNK HEAD is an expansive stop-motion sci-fi action thriller, meticulously styled and set in a dark and perilous universe that harbours surprises around every corner.”
“In the distant future, mankind has lost its ability to procreate, a human-created species has revolted and developed a separate society underground. When a virus wreaks havoc on the surface, an expedition is launched to study how this newly developed species procreate, in an ultimate but desperate attempt to save humankind.”
“Over seven years in the making, Junk Head is the work of one obsessively dedicated man, Takahide Hori, who has singularly created the sets, puppets, sound, music and special effects and then animated everything to bring this masterpiece to the big screen.”
- THE BIG LEBOWSKI d. Joel Coen, 1997 at JW3 (24 APR 19:00).
- CLARA SOLA d. Nathalie Álvarez Mesén, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (24 APR 20:00 / 25 APR 20:00 / 26 APR 20:00 / 30 APR 17:00).
- THE DUELLISTS 35mm d. Ridley Scott, 1977 + Q&A with composer Howard Blake at BFI Southbank (24 APR 18:10).
- Experimenta Mixtape S02E02 curated by Holly Antrum at BFI Southbank (24 APR 18:15).
- FREE MONEY d. Lauren DeFilippo & Sam Soko, 2022 + Zoom Q&A with the directors at Bertha DocHouse (24 APR 18:20).
- JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 at various venues, inc: Genesis Cinema (24 APR 18:10); Picturehouse Cinemas (24 APR various); Prince Charles Cinema (24 APR 13:15 & 18:15); Regent Street Cinema (24 APR 18:00).
- LEONARD COHEN: I’M YOUR MAN d. Lian Lunson, 2005 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (24 APR 19:30).
- MAD GOD d. Phil Tippett, 2021 at The Prince Charles (24 APR 20:45).
- THE OLDEST COMEDY CLUB IN BRITAIN d. Joe Bor, 2023 + Q&A with the director, Peter Grahame, cast & crew at ArtHouse Crouch End (24 APR 20:00).
- REGION OF HEROES d. Oleksii Komarovskii, 2022 + networking, presented by the Ukrainian community at Genesis Cinema (24 APR 18:30).
- Shortcut: Disabled Talent On Screen short film programme presented by Kinoema at The Lexi Cinema (24 APR 18:30).
- SPICE WORLD d. Bob Spiers, 1997 + (+a queer theory powerpoint), curated by Heather Estradiol, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (24 APR 19:00).
- TODOS LOS SABEN aka Everybody Knows d. Asghar Farhadi, 2018 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (24 APR 18:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (24 APR 20:35).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER 3D d. James Cameron, 2022 (21 to 26 APR).
- THE THREE MUSKATEERS: D’ARTAGNAN d. Martin Bourboulon, 2023 (21 to 27 APR).
- ANIME: SUZUME (Subtitled) d. Makoto Shinkai, 2022 (24 APR 14:30).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- JUNK HEAD d. Takahide Hori, 2021 (24 APR 13:15 & 18:15).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- WILD STRAWBERRIES aka Smultronstället d. Ingmar Bergman, 1957 (24 APR 14:30).
- PICKPOCKET d. Robert Bresson, 1959 (24 APR 20:50).
BRING ME THE FILMS OF SAM PECKINPAH at The Prince Charles
- STRAW DOGS 35mm d. Sam Peckinpah, 1971 (24 APR 20:35).
CELEBRATING QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- QUEERAMA d. Daisy Asquith, 2018 (24 APR 18:00).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- MANDABI d. Ousmane Sembène, 1968 (24 APR 16:00).
IN FOCUS: ALBERT SERRA at Ciné Lumière & ICA
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at Ciné Lumière (21 to 27 APR various).
- Chronic Youth Film Festival (22 to 23 APR).
- Kino Short Film Festival (23 APR to 01 MAY).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- London Bengali Film Festival (26 to 30 APR).
- London Independent Film Festival (14 to 23 APR).
- Queer East (18 to 30 APR).
A THOUSAND AND ONE dir A.V. Rockwell, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / The Cinema In The Arches / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
EVIL DEAD RISE dir Lee Cronin, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE dir Daniel Goldhaber, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / The Prince Charles / Regent Street Cinema / Rich Mix / Rio Cinema
THE THREE MUSKETEERS: D’ARTAGNAN dir Martin Bourboulon, 2023
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema
Also 21 to 27 APR (various dates/times):
- A CLEVER WOMAN d. Jon Sanders, 2022 at: ICA.
- FREE MONEY d. Lauren DeFilippo & Sam Soko, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- PACIFICTION: TOURMENT SUR LES ÎLES d. Albert Serra, 2022 at: Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas.
- ROBERTA d. Antonino D’Ambrosio, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- SICK OF MYSELF dir Kristoffer Borgli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / ICA / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.