MONDAY 25 OCTOBER 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
CHILDREN OF THE BEEHIVE 35mm aka Hachi no su no kodomotachi d. Hiroshi Shimizu, 1948 + Intro by season co-programmer Alexander Jacoby at BFI (25 OCT 20:45) / Part of JAPAN 2021.
- “The devastating impact of the war on Japan’s children is shown in Shimizu’s independently-produced film, a Japanese counterpart of Italian neo-realism. Chronicling the journey of a group of orphans (played by non-professionals, themselves orphans) and a weary demobilised soldier across a scarred nation to the refuge of an orphanage, the film pays deeply moving witness to the aftershocks of war.”
- Joint ticket available with A Time of Change and How Japanese Film Bore Witness to It (25 OCT 18:20) £15, concs £12 (Members pay £2 less); joint tickets must be booked via box office on 020 7928 3232 or in person.
- 2040 d. Damon Gameau, 2019 at Bertha DocHouse (25 OCT 16:15).
- 2046 4K d. Wong Kar Wai, 2004 at BFI (25 OCT 17:45).
- A BLONDE IN LOVE (Loves of a Blonde) aka Lásky jedné plavovlásky d. Miloš Forman, 1965 at BFI (25 OCT 20:40).
- ALIEN d. Ridley Scott, 1979 at The Prince Charles (25 OCT 20:45).
- A Time of Change and How Japanese Film Bore Witness to It illustrated talk by co-programmer Alexander Jacoby at BFI (25 OCT 18:20).
- BREATHLESS aka A bout de souffle d. Jean-Luc Godard, 1959 at Ciné Lumière (25 OCT 20:45).
- CHILDREN OF THE BEEHIVE 35mm aka Hachi no su no kodomotachi d. Hiroshi Shimizu, 1948 + Intro by season co-programmer Alexander Jacoby at BFI (25 OCT 20:45).
- DEAD RINGERS 35mm d. David Cronenberg, 1988 at The Prince Charles (25 OCT 18:05).
- DR. JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE 35mm d. Roy Ward Baker, 1971 + Q&A with Martine Beswick (25 OCT 17:50).
- French Impressions: BYE BYE MORONS aka Adieu les cons d. Albert Dupontel, 2020 at Watermans + Online discussion with Jon Davis (25 OCT 19:00 + 28 OCT 20:00).
- H3 d. Les Blair, 2001 + Q&A with the director at BFI (25 OCT 18:00).
- ILLUSTRIOUS CORPSES 4k aka Cadaveri eccellenti d. Francesco Rosi, 1976 at BFI (25 OCT 14:15).
- Nan Goldin Documentary Screening presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (25 OCT 19:30).
- NOVEMBER d. Rainer Sarnet, 2017 at Catford Mews (25 OCT 20:30).
- THE PLEASURE GIRLS d. Gerry O’Hara, 1965 at BFI (25 OCT 20:50).
- PSYCHO d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1960 at The Prince Charles (25 OCT 12:30).
- RELATOS SALVAJES d. Damián Szifron, 2014 presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (25 OCT 19:00).
- SECRETS & LIES d. Mike Leigh, 1996 at BFI (25 OCT 14:30).
- SOCRATES d. Alexandre Moratto, 2018 at Whirled Cinema (25 OCT 20:00).
- WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS d. Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi, 2014 at Backyard Cinema (25 OCT 20:00).
- Brazil Indigenous Film Festival (22 to 24 OCT).
- Doc’n Roll Film Festival (28 OCT to 14 NOV).
- London East Asia Film Festival (21 to 31 OCT).
- Native Spirit Festival (12 OCT to 20 NOV).
- Raindance Film Festival (27 OCT to 06 NOV).
- Sci-Fi-London 21 (19 to 24 OCT).
- Short Com Film Festival (28 OCT 20:30).
DUNE d. Denis Villeneuve, 2021.
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / BFI IMAX / The Castle / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Kino Digital / The Lexi / Peckhamplex / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
SCREAM 35mm d. Wes Craven, 1996.
- Also (22 to 28 OCT various dates/times): PLAYLIST d. Nine Antico, 2021 at: Curzon Cinemas // SMOG TOWN d. Meng Han, 2019 at: Bertha DocHouse // WHITE CUBE d. Renzo Martens, 2020 at: ICA.
- Oliver Dickens presents two films by Kira Muratova to raise funds for Ukraine at Rio Cinema & Ciné Lumière (07 & 14 JUN 2022).
- Lost Vampires presents BILLY THE KID AND THE GREEN BAIZE VAMPIRE 35mm + Q&A with Phil Daniels at The Prince Charles (27 JUN 2022).
- Science Fiction Theatre returns with three sci-fi classics this summer at The Castle Cinema (10 JUN to 12 AUG 2022).
- Queer Horror Nights presents THE FLY at The Castle Cinema (24 JUN 2022).
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.