MONDAY 26 JULY 2021 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today including one-off events, limited runs, film clubs, repertory seasons, film festivals, outdoor events, & our selection of new releases.
THE GRANDMASTER aka Yi dai zong shi d. Wong Kar Wai, 2013 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 20:50).
- “Wong reunites with long-term collaborator Leung in this sweeping historical epic about legendary martial arts master Ip Man, who counted Bruce Lee as one of his students. There’s a hint of forbidden love between the married guru and Gong Er (Zhang), the daughter of another grandmaster, but it’s the jaw-dropping fight sequences, staged with lavish elegance, that take centre stage.”
- DR T & THE WOMEN 35MM d. Robert Altman, 2000 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 20:30).
- FALLEN ANGELS 4K aka Do lok tin si d. Wong Kar Wai, 1995 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 14:30).
- THE GRANDMASTER aka Yi dai zong shi d. Wong Kar Wai, 2013 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 20:50).
- HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH 35MM d. John Cameron Mitchell, 2011 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL 21:00).
- I NEVER CRY aka Jak najdalej stad d. Piotr Domalewski, 2020 at Watermans + Film talk with Michael Brooke afterwards online (26 JUL 19:00 – Online talk 28 JUL 20:00).
- LOCAL HERO 35MM d. Bill Forsyth, 1983 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL 17:50).
- MAN ABOUT TOWN aka Le Silence est d’or d. René Clair, 1947 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 14:20).
- MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDERETTE d. Stephen Frears, 1985 at Picturehouse Bromley (26 JUL 19:45).
- PARASITE d. Bong Joon-ho, 2019 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL 12:15).
- REAR WINDOW d. Alfred Hitchcock, 1954 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 18:00).
- SWEAT d. Magnus von Horn, 2021 at Genesis Cinema (26 JUL 21:00).
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD 35MM d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007 at The Prince Charles (26 JUL 20:30).
- THE TWO OF THEM/TWO WOMEN 4K aka Ők ketten d. Márta Mészáros, 1977 at BFI Southbank (26 JUL 18:10).
- IN THE HEIGHTS d. Jon M. Chu, 2021 at Rooftop Film Club, Peckham (26 JUL 21:00).
- MAMA MIA! HERE WE GO AGAIN! d. Ol Parker, 2018 at Bar Elba SE1 (26 JUL 21:00).
- MEAN GIRLS d. Mark S. Waters, 2004 at Archlight Cinema (26 JUL 17:30).
- PERSEPOLIS d. Vincent Paronnaud & Marjane Satrapi, 2007 at Dalston Roof Park (26 JUL 20:00).
- THELMA AND LOUISE d. Ridley Scott, 1991 at Archlight Cinema (26 JUL 20:00).
- Chinese Visual Festival (15 to 25 JUL).
- I-D-E-N-T-I-T-I-E-S Latin American Film Festival (24 to 25 JUL).
- Sundance Film Festival (29 JUL to 01 AUG).
- Wonderous Stories Film Festival (23 to 25 JUL).
GIRLFRIENDS d. Claudia Weill, 1978
- Daily: JW3 (not 24 JUL).
TAXI DRIVER 35MM d. Martin Scorsese, 1976
- Daily: The Prince Charles (not 25 JUL).
- Also (23 to 29 JUL various): A THOUSAND CUTS d. Ramona S. Diaz, 2020 at Bertha DocHouse // HERE WE ARE d. Nir Bergman, 2020 at Barbican / JW3 / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas // I NEVER CRY aka Jak najdalej stad d. Piotr Domalewski, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / BFI / Catford Mews / Curzon Cinemas // NIGHT OF THE KINGS aka La Nuit des rois d. Philippe Lacôte, 2020 at ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema // THE WORLD TO COME d. Mona Fastvold, 2020 at Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Olympic Studios / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema.
- Double Wonderful presents DRIB at Venue MOT Unit 18 (02 NOV 2021).
- Wavelength Docs presents CINEMA OF THE SELF at Close-Up Film Centre (13 to 14 NOV 2021)
- Musical Sunday presents HAIRSPRAY (2007) at The Cinema Museum (07 NOV 2021).
- The ultimate SCREAM GUIDE to the best horror films in London this Halloween!
GET THESE LISTINGS EMAILED EVERY MORNING WITH A MONTHLY MEMBERSHIP AT PATREON: JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.