MONDAY: What’s on in London today [27/02/23]
MONDAY 27 FEBRUARY 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
Horror Movie Monday: MY BLOODY VALENTINE d. George Mihalka, 1981 + Absinthe on arrival, presented by Violent World & Devil’s Botany at The Last Tuesday Society (27 FEB 18:30).
“According to local legend, the sleepy mining town of Valentine’s Bluff has a dark history. After a tragic mining accident twenty years ago left five dead, one traumatised survivor sought bloody vengeance. Harry Warden tore out the heart of the foreman responsible. He was never apprehended, but with the gruesome murder came an eerie warning: there would be more bloodshed should the town ever celebrate Valentine’s Day again. When a group of friends decide to ignore the warning, a mysterious maniac in mining gear begins to kill again. Has Warden returned to fulfil his dreadful promise? This atmospheric 1981 Canadian slasher directed by George Mihalka stands out among others of its ilk, with solid enough performances and above average production value, and a bit more character development than we usually see in slasher movies, while still delivering gory frights!”
Violent World (Los Angeles) and Devil’s Botany (London) will be presenting a series of movie Mondays at The Last Tuesday Society, featuring grindhouse classics spanning a range of horror and cult films, many formerly banned video nasties, curated by creator/editor Bill Blood. Tickets include a Devil’s Botany Absinthe Highball upon arrival.
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 + Intro/discussion presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (27 FEB 19:00).
- BEYOND THE DREAM d. Kiwi Chow, 2023 at Genesis Cinema (27 FEB 20:45).
- DRILLER KILLER d. Abel Ferrara, 1979 at The Prince Charles (27 FEB 18:20).
- THE LUNCHBOX d. Ritesh Batra, 2013 at India Club Lounge-Bar (27 FEB 19:00).
- MS. 45 d. Abel Ferrara, 1981 at The Prince Charles (27 FEB 20:45).
- Horror Movie Monday: MY BLOODY VALENTINE d. George Mihalka, 1981 + Absinthe on arrival, presented by Violent World and Devil’s Botany at The Last Tuesday Society (27 FEB 18:30).
- NEWS FROM HOME d. Chantal Akerman, 1976 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (27 FEB 19:30).
- NITRAM d. Justin Kurzel, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (27 FEB 20:00 / 28 FEB 20:00 / 01 MAR 20:00 / 05 MAR 17:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: SABRINA d. Billy Wilder, 1954 at Regent Street Cinema (27 FEB 13:00).
- SPINE d. Ellie Green & Matt Green, 2022 + Q&A, presented by London Mountain Film Festival at The Garden Cinema (27 FEB 20:00).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- ROBOCOP 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (27 FEB 15:40).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- INTERSTELLAR 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2014 (27 FEB 20:10).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 3D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA 2D d. Peyton Reed, 2023 (until 02 MAR).
- COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: TENET IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (27 FEB 20:15).
AKIRA KUROSAWA at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- Unclassifiable Kurosawa: DERSU UZALA 70mm d. Akira Kurosawa, 1975 Doug Weir, BFI Technical Delivery Manager (27 FEB 20:10).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- GHOST IN THE SHELL d. Mamoru Oshii, 1995 (27 FEB 18:00 – 4K).
A TASTE OF QUEER CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- JOYLAND d. Saim Sadiq, 2022 (25 FEB to 02 MAR).
CINEMATIC JUKEBOX / CLASSIC FILM SEASON at The Prince Charles (not listed elsewhere!)
- ROBOCOP 35mm d. Paul Verhoeven, 1987 (27 FEB 15:40).
COUNTDOWN TO OPPENHEIMER: CHRISTOPHER NOLAN ON FILM at BFI IMAX
- TENET IMAX 70mm d. Christopher Nolan, 2020 (27 FEB 20:15).
SIGHT & SOUND GREATEST FILMS OF ALL TIME 2022 at BFI Southbank & BFI IMAX
- 52= FEAR EATS THE SOUL aka Angst essen Seele auf d. Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1974 (27 FEB 18:00).
SPOTLIGHT ON WOMEN FILMMAKERS at The Prince Charles
- AFTERSUN d. Charlotte Wells, 2022 (until 02 MAR).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (27 FEB 13:15 – 4K).
YOU BEAUTIES: NEW AUSTRALIAN CINEMA at BFI Southbank
- SWEET AS d. Jub Clerc, 2022 + Short: FINDING JEDDA d. Tanith Glynn-Maloney, 2021 (27 FEB 20:50).
- Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour (16 to 25 FEB).
- Glasgow Film Festival (01 to 12 MAR).
- Kendal Mountain Festival Tour (01 to 02 MAR).
- London Mountain Film Festival (20 FEB to 05 MAR).
BROKER dir. Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / Barbican / BFI / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Phoenix Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
COCAINE BEAR dir. Elizabeth Banks, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
CREATURE dir. Asif Kapadia, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas
JOYLAND dir. Saim Sadiq, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
WHAT’S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT dir. Shekhar Kapur, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas
Also 24 FEB to 02 MAR (various dates/times):
- A HOLY FAMILY d. Elvis A-Liang Lu, 2022 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also CHARM CIRCLE).
- CHARM CIRCLE d. Nira Burstein, 2021 at: Bertha DocHouse (see also A HOLY FAMILY).
- Queer East Festival’s boundary-pushing LGBTQ+ programme returns to venues across London (18 to 30 APR 2023)
- Ciné-Real 16mm Film Club presents a spectacular series of 16mm screenings at The Castle Cinema (booking to 28 MAY 2023)
- Bruce LaBruce at Rich Mix presented by Fringe!, DMovies & Doesn’t Exist (07 & 18 APR 2023)
- Malarkey Film Festival presents CREEPUSCULA at Phoenix Cinema (05 APR 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.