MONDAY: What’s on in London today [27/03/23]
MONDAY 27 MARCH 2023 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
By RADIANT CIRCUS // Twitter @radiantcircus / Instagram @radiantcircus
THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 + Panel with Kate Metcalf (co-director of Women’s Environmental Network), Sofia Serbin de Skalon (founder of the Argentine Film Festival), & curator Caroline Wilson at Rich Mix (27 MAR 18:00).
“Thousands of fish die in a polluted river in southern Chile. Magdalena, a woman long-deceased, emerges amongst their lifeless bodies. When she encounters her widowed husband, her presence sends him into a state of shock and prompts the return of their daughter, Cecilia, as well as stirring curiosity and fear among her family when they witness her effect on the environment. As the past comes into focus, mother and daughter are met with the opportunity to change the future.”
- BUT I’M A CHEERLEADER d. Jamie Babbit, 1999 curated by Nat Funni, presented by Transmissions at Dalston Superstore (27 MAR 19:00).
- THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 + Panel with Kate Metcalf (co-director of Women’s Environmental Network), Sofia Serbin de Skalon (founder of the Argentine Film Festival), & curator Caroline Wilson at Rich Mix (27 MAR 18:00).
- Monday Classic Matinée: GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES d. Howard Hawks, 1953 at Regent Street Cinema (27 MAR 13:00).
- VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS aka Valerie a týden divu d. Jaromil Jires, 1970 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (27 MAR 19:30).
- THE WOMAN KING d. Gina Prince-Bythewood, 2022 at Whirled Cinema (27 MAR 20:00 / 28 MAR 20:00 / 29 MAR 20:00 / 02 APR 17:00).
- Unlikley Lives: WOMEN BEHND THE WHEEL d. Catherine Haigh and Hannah Congdon, 2022 + Q&A with the directors at The Lexi Cinema (27 MAR 18:20).
Check venues for full listings…
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- BATMAN 35mm d. Tim Burton, 1989 (27 MAR 15:10).
- AMARCORD 35mm d. Federico Fellini, 1973 (27 MAR 18:00).
IMAX PRESENTATIONS at BFI IMAX
- JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 4 d. Chad Stahelski, 2023 (23 to 30 MAR).
ANIME at The Prince Charles
- AKIRA d. Katsuhiro Ôtomo, 1988 (27 MAR 21:00).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION… at BFI Southbank
- TOUCH OF EVIL d. Orson Welles, 1958 (27 MAR 20:45).
CHINESE CINEMA PROJECT at The Garden Cinema
- A NEW OLD PLAY d. Qiu Jiongjiong, 2021 (27 MAR 20:00).
FRANCOPHONE WEST AFRICAN CINEMA at The Garden Cinema
- ATLANTICS d. Mati Diop, 2019 (27 MAR 15:00).
GINGER ROGERS: ALL THAT SASS at BFI Southbank
- GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 35mm d. Mervyn LeRoy, 1933 (27 MAR 18:20).
THE IMAGE SPEAKS: A KAREL REISZ RETROSPECTIVE at Chiswick Cinema
- MORGAN: A SUITABLE CASE FOR TREATMENT d. Karel Reisz, 1966 (27 MAR 20:00).
MOIS DE LA FRANCOPHONIE 2023 at Ciné Lumière
- THE BEASTS aka As bestas d. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022 (23 MAR to 02 APR).
- THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022 (24 MAR to 06 APR).
NORTHERN VOICES at BFI Southbank
- IN CELEBRATION d. Lindsay Anderson, 1975 (27 MAR 20:30).
SERPENTINE CINEMA: MENELAOS KARRAMAGHIOLIS at Close-Up & Ciné Lumière
- J.A.C.E. (JUST ANOTHER CONFUSED ELEPHANT) at Ciné Lumière (27 MAR 20:15).
THE WORLD OF WONG KAR WAI at The Prince Charles
- CHUNGKING EXPRESS d. Wong Kar Wai, 1994 (27 MAR 20:45 – 4K).
- BFI Flare (15 to 26 MAR).
- Do More Movement Film Festival (30 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (25 to 31 MAR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (18 to 31 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (16 to 26 MAR).
- Kinoteka: Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 27 APR).
- RAI Film Festival (03 to 31 MAR).
- TNB Xpo 2023 (29 to 31 MAR).
- WatchAUT 2023 (23 to 26 MAR).
THE BEASTS aka As bestas dir. Rodrigo Sorogoyen, 2022
- Various venues, inc: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / The Castle Cinema / Chiswick Cinema / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Rio Cinema / Riverside Studios
THE FIVE DEVILS aka Les cinq diables dir. Léa Mysius, 2022
- Various venues, inc: Barbican / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rio Cinema
INFINITY POOL dir. Brandon Cronenberg, 2023
- Various venues, inc: Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Genesis Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Regent Street Cinema / Rio Cinema
Also 24 to 30 MAR (various dates/times):
- 1976 dir. Manuela Martelli, 2022 at: ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI Southbank / Curzon Cinemas / ICA.
- A COMPASSIONATE SPY dir. Steve James, 2023 at: Bertha DocHouse.
- A GOOD PERSON dir. Zach Braff, 2023 at: The Castle Cinema / Curzon Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / Picturehouse Cinemas.
- THE COW WHO SANG A SONG INTO THE FUTURE d. Francisca Alegría, 2022 at: The Garden Cinema.
- DANCE CRAZE dir. Joe Massot, 1981 at (limited engagements!): ArtHouse Crouch End / Chiswick Cinema / Picturehouse Cinemas / Riverside Studios.
- Pushkin House presents WITNESSING HISTORY: FILMS BY SERGEI LOZNITSA at venues across London (02 to 10 JUN 2023)
- Exploding Cinema presents a night of short films at The Cinema Museum (10 JUN 2023).
- Saraband presents Queer Reflections on Horror + JENNIFER’S BODY at Rio Cinema (08 JUN 2023).
- Tibet Film Festival presents BALLOON in honour of Pema Tseden at Genesis Cinema (19 JUN 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.