MONDAY 28 MARCH 2022 (A–Z) // What’s on in London today across DIY, indie & alternative cinema including one-off screen events, film seasons, film festivals & our selection of new releases.
THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN d. Val Guest, 1957 (28 MAR 20:50) / Part of NIGHTMARES AND DAYDREAMS: A CENTENARY CELEBRATION OF SCREENWRITER NIGEL KNEALE at BFI Southbank:
“Two men with opposing views undertake a dangerous trip to the Himalayas in search of the Yeti. Although Kneale and Cartier’s 1955 TV drama The Creature hasn’t survived, this Hammer version (scripted by Kneale) is remarkably faithful to the original, albeit on a grander scale and budget. It also boasts the small-screen’s top actor of the 1950s, Peter Cushing, recreating his TV role.” (BFI)
- EUROPA d. Haider Rashid, 2021 + Panel Discussion presented by London Migration Film Festival at Genesis Cinema (28 MAR 18:25).
- THE GODFATHER: 50th Anniversary d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 at The Cinema In The Arches (28 MAR 19:00).
- JAMÓN JAMÓN d. Bigas Luna, 1992 Film & Tapas presented by Spanish Marks at India Club Lounge-Bar (28 MAR 19:00).
- Ukraine Fundraiser: OLGA d. Elie Grappe, 2021 preview at BFI Southbank (28 MAR 18:15).
- PAPRIKA d. Satoshi Kon, 2006 presented by Deeper Into Movies at Farr’s Dalston (28 MAR 19:30).
- RESPECT d. Liesl Tommy, 2021 at Whirled Cinema (28 MAR 20:00 / 29 MAR 20:00 / 30 MAR 20:00 / 03 APR 17:00).
- THE REVIVAL: WOMEN & THE WORD d. Sekiya Dorsett + Zoom Q&A with the director presented by The Batty Mama at Stanley Arts (28 MAR 19:30).
- SOUTH: SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON’S GLORIOUS EPIC OF THE ANTARCTIC d. Frank Hurley, 1919 at Picturehouse Cinemas (25 to 31 MAR various).
35MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): CASABLANCA 35mm d. Michael Curtiz, 1942 (28 MAR 18:00).
70MM PRESENTATIONS at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE MASTER 70mm d. Paul Thomas Anderson, 2012 (28 MAR 20:30).
ANIME at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): SPIRITED AWAY aka Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi d. Hayao Miyazaki, 2001 (28 MAR 20:35).
BEST OF CÉSAR at Ciné Lumière
- Includes (check venue for full listings): PARIS 13TH DISTRICT aka Les Olympiades d. Jacques Audiard, 2021 (until 31 MAR various).
BIG SCREEN CLASSICS: A QUESTION OF FAITH at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): LÉON MORIN, PRÊTRE 4K aka Léon Morin, Priest d. Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961 (28 MAR 17:50).
CELEBRATING MARLON BRANDO at The Garden Cinema
- Includes (check venue for full listings): JULIUS CAESAR d. Joseph L. Mankiewicz, 1953 (28 MAR 18:30).
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE GODFATHER 4K d. Francis Ford Coppola, 1972 (28 MAR 14:15).
LIV ULLMANN: FACE TO FACE at BFI Southbank
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE WAYWARD GIRL 4K aka Ung Flukt d. Edith Carlmar, 1959 + Pre-recorded intro by Invisible Women, Archive Activists (28 MAR 18:10).
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN d. Val Guest, 1957 (28 MAR 20:50).
OSCAR NOMINEES at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): PARALLEL MOTHERS d. Pedro Almodóvar, 2021 (25 to 31 MAR).
OSCAR® WEEK at Barbican
- Includes (check venue for full listings): THE HAND OF GOD d. Paolo Sorrentino, 2021 (28 MAR 17:50); DON’T LOOK UP d. Adam McKay, 2021 (28 MAR 20:30).
THREE BY F. GARY GRAY at The Prince Charles
- Includes (check venue for listings): SET IT OFF d. F. Gary Gray, 1996 (28 MAR 18:15 – £1 Members’ Screening).
- The Banff Mountain Film Festival (14 to 25 MAR).
- BFI Flare (16 to 27 MAR).
- Essay Film Festival (19 MAR to 23 APR).
- Hong Kong Film Festival (19 to 27 MAR).
- Human Rights Watch Film Festival (17 to 25 MAR).
- Kinoteka Polish Film Festival (09 MAR to 03 APR).
Ukraine Fundraiser: CHERNOBYL: THE LOST TAPES d. James Jones, 2022:
- Various venues, inc: Bertha DocHouse
THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD aka Verdens verste menneske d. Joachim Trier, 2021:
- Various venues, inc: ActOne Cinema / ArtHouse Crouch End / Barbican / BFI / The Castle Cinema / Catford Mews / Chiswick Cinema / The Cinema In The Arches / Ciné Lumière / Curzon Cinemas / Electric Cinemas / Everyman Cinemas / The Garden Cinema / Genesis Cinema / ICA / The Lexi Cinema /Peckhamplex / Picturehouse Cinemas / Rich Mix
- Also 25 to 31 MAR (various dates/times): CHOPPER: 20th Anniversary d. Andrew Dominik, 2000 at: Genesis Cinemas / Prince Charles Cinema // ESCAPE FROM MOGADISHU d. Seung-wan Ryu, 2021: Curzon Cinemas // SIN LA HABANA d. Kaveh Nabatian, 2021 at: JW3 // VALLEY OF SOULS aka Tantas almas d. Nicolás Rincón Gille, 2019 at: ICA // XUETA ISLAND d. Ofer Laszewicki, Dani Rotstein & Felipe Wolokita, 2021 at: JW3 (from 29 MAR).
- Sine Screen presents Vulnerable Histories at Close-Up & The Garden Cinema (19 to 26 AUG 2023)
- Lost Reels presents 16mm & 35mm screenings at The Cinema Museum & ICA (19 & 31 AUG 2023)
- The Duke Mitchell Film Club presents DukeFest 2023: A Brave New World (13 to 16 AUG 2023)
- Cinema Mentiré launches with OLHAR PERIFERICO season (AUG 2023)
RADIANT CIRCUS is powered by monthly subscribers. Get great rewards & help #ReviveTheDark. JOIN US!
*THE SMALL PRINT: Opinions author’s own. // As accurate as we could make it. Apologies for any errors. Updates & corrections will be made to the online version only. // Event dates/times/formats are subject to change by the venue/organiser. Events may already be sold out at the time of posting, so please click quickly. // We try to list as many original format screenings as we can (8 to 70MM), but sometimes formats change due to age of the print, availability, logistics etc, so please check ahead with your venue if the format is your thing. // All images are used in the spirit of fair use for reporting & review – no ownership is implied or intended / unless otherwise credited to RADIANT CIRCUS as the original rights holder. We will remove any images immediately upon request – just get in touch. // We don’t filter our listings by age/certification: all readers & subscribers should therefore be 18+. // Finally, we always try to follow The Carny Code by “not screwing up anyone else’s game”, but everyone can make mistakes… If something does go wrong, we will always do our best to put it right. //.